Scotty98TR

Reaction score
I really don't get this. EVERYTIME I turn off my laptop, whatever FM save file I last saved goes corrupt.

So, after beating Real 5-0 away, and clinching the title, I decided this time I will not be beaten. I saved the file 3 times, I copied these 3 files into 3 different locations. I loaded them up again before I turned off my laptop to make sure they worked.

Now, when I have turned on my laptop again to play it, ALL 9 save files, in 3 different locations have all been corrupted (Despite the fact I checked every one of them to make sure they worked!!!)

Please; someone explain to me what I am doing wrong - and better still, how all the files could go corrupt AFTER I have quit FM, and they all worked previously?!!!

I've had this once before, exactly the same as you described...
Ever the pessimist I plan for the worst case senario in all aspects of life, this way anything above failure, disaster, dissapiontment etc is a bonus!

Having experienced the odd "save game file could not be loaded" a few times down the years I make copy's of my saves and put em in a folder on my desktop.

I loaded up one time and got the error and then it systematically effected all the saves I had, I loaded the copied saves but next time I started FM they were dead too.

I had 1 remaining save file which I hadn't tried, unistalled steam and fm and started from scratch.
The remaining save file loaded and never had a problem, this was FM 12.

I don't know how these are caused but I corrupted a save when the power went on my laptop midway through saving.

My suspicions when I was younger FM2005-2009 was these errors occurred when I kept quitting and reloading the same match/save to try and win a match I kept losing.

Devastating.

I've had this once before, exactly the same as you described...
Ever the pessimist I plan for the worst case senario in all aspects of life, this way anything above failure, disaster, dissapiontment etc is a bonus!

Having experienced the odd "save game file could not be loaded" a few times down the years I make copy's of my saves and put em in a folder on my desktop.

I loaded up one time and got the error and then it systematically effected all the saves I had, I loaded the copied saves but next time I started FM they were dead too.

I had 1 remaining save file which I hadn't tried, unistalled steam and fm and started from scratch.
The remaining save file loaded and never had a problem, this was FM 12.

I don't know how these are caused but I corrupted a save when the power went on my laptop midway through saving.

My suspicions when I was younger FM2005-2009 was these errors occurred when I kept quitting and reloading the same match/save to try and win a match I kept losing.

Devastating.

Really annoying! :(

The thing is that it does it every time I turn off my laptop, not just when something happens midway through saving (And I don't quit/start again etc. :))

Had this happen to me before what I did was upload your save(s) to MediaFire and in an email to yourself send the URL link. So if your save goes away you have it online and MediaFire is really easy. Hope it helps:)

Had this happen to me before what I did was upload your save(s) to MediaFire and in an email to yourself send the URL link. So if your save goes away you have it online and MediaFire is really easy. Hope it helps:)

Good idea, I might try that! Seems abit of a hassle though, having to do it everytime (Plus I sometimes go on it on long trips away, when I won't have the internet...

EDIT: Had another idea, I'll find a USB stick and see if I can change the default save location straight onto it. Anyone know if/how that can be done? :)

That is a good point do the same FM makes trips go by much quicker. Yes, I believe you can save game to the same spot and then copy it and take that and save it on to your USB and if you didn't want to save your game to MediaFire you could try emailing it to yourself as it my be faster. Hope that works;)

Also m8, on a curruted save I had I found the save file and right clicked view previous versions and replaced the file with the most upto date previous version I had, lost about half a season but I was 7 seasons in so I didn't mind, was just glad to have my "precious" back.

Have you unistalled everything and reinstalled?

Mine sometimes used to do that. For me it was because I quit Fm but it hadn't properly shut down yet and then I switched off my computer and it corrupted it. Probably not your problem but it could be.

Last edited:
Also m8, on a curruted save I had I found the save file and right clicked view previous versions and replaced the file with the most upto date previous version I had, lost about half a season but I was 7 seasons in so I didn't mind, was just glad to have my "precious" back.

Have you unistalled everything and reinstalled?

I haven't tried uninstalling everything, do you think that'd help?

I still have save files from a month before the save game got corrupt (I use a "3 file rolling autosave") it's just that it means I have to do the month all over again, every time! :S

Mine sometimes used to do that. For me it was because I quit Fm but it hadn't properly shut down yet and then I switched of my computer and it corrupted it. Probably not your problem but it could be.

I don't think it was that, as it looked like FM had shut down properly... I'll try leaving it for a minute or two next time to see if that helps :)

That is a good point do the same FM makes trips go by much quicker. Yes, I believe you can save game to the same spot and then copy it and take that and save it on to your USB and if you didn't want to save your game to MediaFire you could try emailing it to yourself as it my be faster. Hope that works;)

Thanks mate, I'll try that :)

Go for it, what have you got to lose?
If your broadband is fast you can have everything re-downloaded and installed in a hour.
What the person above said about shutting down too quick after quitting, I thought that too but when I had windows 7 it used to wait for programs to close before powering off so I'm not sure about that, but like I said that did cross my mind.

Have you tried saving as compressed and uncompressed to see if the type makes a difference ?

2 other things to try are -

1) go to steam an verify the game cache - this actually worked for me when a save-game wouldn't load

2) run Scandisk and de-fragment your HD - could be a the area of the HD that FM is saving to is corrupt

Have you tried saving as compressed and uncompressed to see if the type makes a difference ?

2 other things to try are -

1) go to steam an verify the game cache - this actually worked for me when a save-game wouldn't load

2) run Scandisk and de-fragment your HD - could be a the area of the HD that FM is saving to is corrupt

I've tried number 2, I'll try the first in a minute! :)

I'll chuck another one into the hat, restore windows to a point when this wasn't happening, perhaps that might do the trick?
Although this has fixed save games not loading for me in the past, I think I had to re download the game though from steam, not sure, thinking about it know it was probably the re download that fixed it.

Someone said verify the game cache, you probably have already?
I was having quite a few crashes a couple of weeks back, and even tho I do verify quite frequently when I checked I was missing 13 files.

I'll chuck another one into the hat, restore windows to a point when this wasn't happening, perhaps that might do the trick?
Although this has fixed save games not loading for me in the past, I think I had to re download the game though from steam, not sure, thinking about it know it was probably the re download that fixed it.

Someone said verify the game cache, you probably have already?
I was having quite a few crashes a couple of weeks back, and even tho I do verify quite frequently when I checked I was missing 13 files.

It's being doing it for months, I don't have a restore point from that far back!! :p