what determines whether short or direct passes?

vhp

Reaction score
Was wondering which players that should be given the short passes and who should be given the direct passes? and mixed with tempo. e.g. a player given the skills: passing 15, creativity 16, technique 13. Should he be given short or direct passes if the team tempo is set to e.g. 15? or give me an other tempo example.
Thanks.

need more details. what formation are you playing? what kind or strikers do you have? i.e big lads who hold it up, small quick players etc? where on the pitch do the players you asked about play?

it also depends on what kind of team you wish to be. IMO direct passing is best used when you are a counter attacking team with a quick tempo. short passes can be made with a quick or slow tempo but whichever one is used you will find the opposition manage to get behind the ball quickly so you need one or two very creative players in your attacking 3rd to unlock defences.

need more details. what formation are you playing? what kind or strikers do you have? i.e big lads who hold it up, small quick players etc? where on the pitch do the players you asked about play?

it also depends on what kind of team you wish to be. IMO direct passing is best used when you are a counter attacking team with a quick tempo. short passes can be made with a quick or slow tempo but whichever one is used you will find the opposition manage to get behind the ball quickly so you need one or two very creative players in your attacking 3rd to unlock defences.

I wasnt talking about any specific player, it was just an example of a player. But when i take charge of a new team, i must create a tactic suiting my team. This is here i want to know what i should be looking for when choosing passing, tempo, width and who should have creative freedom etc. (i normally play a flat 4-4-2).
(if you want info about a team, just take liverpool as an example. or another team). But my question is just a general one, like if you just started with a new team, what the first thing to be looking for would be :p

if you are playing a 4-4-2 you want one center midfielder to be move defensively minded than the other.
Your midfielder who has the highest creativity,passing skills etc you should set him up with a normal mind set just a tick off attacking.
Also give him a creativity setting of one tick into much from normal.
After a while him will soon be passing killer balls to your strikers and passing it out wide to your RM/LM for crosses into the box.
You should also set this player to attack ball from deep for corners and come short for throw ins.

Your defensively minded midfielder needs high tackling,pass,strength and aggression.Passing should be about the 12-18.
You set his creativity to normal because you do not want him to go to far forward and exposing your defense to a quick counter attack.
His role is to get the ball, hold it, pass simply and get the ball moving to your talented players.In defending his role is breaking up attacks and marking out the other teams amc or mc.
Corners you set him to lurk outside of the box to pick up any loose balls and then restart the attack.
Throw ins you want him to come short or stay back.Only stay back if you have concerns about the other teams ability to attack quickly.
To make him more defensively minded in his settings on the tactic screen move his mentally bar about a click just off defensive and see how it goes.If he is too defensive and not helping out much move the slide up a click each time until you are happy with him.
Never give him freedom to do what he likes (i.e free role) because he has an important job and you want him to carry it out week in week out.
Also handy if this players has a long shot rating of 20 because he will score plenty when the ball is cleared from the box.he will pick it up and smash it back with interest.

Last edited:
if you are playing a 4-4-2 you want one center midfielder to be move defensively minded than the other.
Your midfielder who has the highest creativity,passing skills etc you should set him up with a normal mind set just a tick off attacking.
Also give him a creativity setting of one tick into much from normal.
After a while him will soon be passing killer balls to your strikers and passing it out wide to your RM/LM for crosses into the box.
You should also set this player to attack ball from deep for corners and come short for throw ins.

Your defensively minded midfielder needs high tackling,pass,strength and aggression.Passing should be about the 12-18.
You set his creativity to normal because you do not want him to go to far forward and exposing your defense to a quick counter attack.
His role is to get the ball, hold it, pass simply and get the ball moving to your talented players.In defending his role is breaking up attacks and marking out the other teams amc or mc.
Corners you set him to lurk outside of the box to pick up any loose balls and then restart the attack.
Throw ins you want him to come short or stay back.Only stay back if you have concerns about the other teams ability to attack quickly.
To make him more defensively minded in his settings on the tactic screen move his mentally bar about a click just off defensive and see how it goes.If he is too defensive and not helping out much move the slide up a click each time until you are happy with him.
Never give him freedom to do what he likes (i.e free role) because he has an important job and you want him to carry it out week in week out.
Also handy if this players has a long shot rating of 20 because he will score plenty when the ball is cleared from the box.he will pick it up and smash it back with interest.

They're some great tips, thanks Jpms, I noticed I had a few differences there in my tactic and this should help make it tighter. What would you say the creativity of the DMC should be? I normally have it just a click away from little, is that wise?

if you play with 2 strikers do the same.
If you have a really top notch striker set him up with attacking mentality and just move the creativity bar just into much.
Because you are giving him the role if will not only supply your other striker and aggressive midfielder but he will also shoot when he can.
He will pull the defense toward him as they know he is very dangerous but your instruction to him is to think and be creative.
corners attack ball from deep.if his free kick rating is over 15 look at what foot he uses and in the tactic instructions get him to take free kicks from the opposite side.Train him to hit free kicks with power and blast ball into net if he will do it.
If one of your midfielders is good at free kicks send the striker to disrupt the wall.You will be surprised in the amout of ball he will pick up and cross into the box if the free kick hits the wall.
It all takes time for him to learn it but he will.

The other striker needs a good first touch,passing and composure.If he is tall all the better.if he is good at heading make your goalie send the kicks to him.Soon your attacking pair will work together.Tall attacker heads on from goal kick and creative striker collects,runs on,passes into net or rounds the on rushing keeper.again they need time to work together but it can get you a quick goal.worst outcome is a corner kick from the save.

Make sure the other striker has normal mentality just off attacking and normal creativity.Set him up to attack near post for corners.runs with ball.set him up so he never takes long shots as you need him to pass back to midfield or creative striker.
He will then run on and be expecting the ball into the box.

as for defenders.if your playing a 4-4-2 train both the DR and DL to run down both flanks with the ball and cross.They will double up with the ML and MR and once they gel the attack is effectively doubled.
Just be aware if they are slow you are open to a counter attack.

as for DMC.
I only play one if im up against a bojan type player. All my midfielders are trained to play DC,DMC.MC. Italians are best for this in my experience and adapt better and more willing to expect this instruction.
you want him to be a passer.pacy and hard tackling.A no nonsence type player.
If he is sitting behind one normal set up midfielder and a midfielder with creativity instruct your DMC to sit in front of the defense and not to cross the halfway line unless you have a corner.Free kicks he stays back.
If its a corner he lurks outside box.
What you want him to do is quickly and accurately send the ball to your ML,MR,AMCL or AMCR.
So you never give him more than he needs because if he fails your backline is exposed.
concentration must also be high because you will want him to mark out the amc or striker.
Set the arrow on the tactic screen towards the DC's as you want him to quickly get back when you lose the ball.

Last edited:
re. creativity of the DMC. It all depends on the skills of the DMC and what you want him to do. If you want him to be the start of all your attacks, looking for killer balls from deep and he has the skills to do it (eg Pirlo or Alonso type player) then really you want him to have quite high creativity (high normal I'd try first). If you want him to destroy the opposition and play simple passes to better players, then you'd want him on quite low creativity (something beneath normal) as you don't want to risk him trying silly passes and them not coming off (eg Makelelelelele, Essien, Mascherano type players).

If you want to be a bit different, you can actually have your deep lying midfielder as your playmaker, while your other midfielder is the ball winner. This works very well when the ball winning midfielder has skills to be a threat to goal as well as a big engine (eg Keane or Gerrard type player) and the deep lying midfielder is capable of stupendously accurate long range passing or needs a lot of space in order to do his job (Neil Webb looked a million dollars for Nottingham Forest in this role).

There are a few ways to run a 4-4-2 even with a flat midfield 4 :)

re. passing - don't go so short that your player in possession does not have options. He should have 3 simple options at all times in the middle third of the pitch - forwards, backwards and to at least one side. Your passing should vary depending on what you are trying to do with the match. If you're defending, then short passing at the back is asking for trouble - but short passing up front will keep the ball up at the oppositions' end. If you're attacking, then short passing up front may not get the ball out wide quickly enough to stretch the defence - whereas a more direct style of play will do. But you don't want to be hoofing the ball forward to be dealt with easily by the opposition's defence so you'd want your players at the back to play a shorter passing game so that they find your creative midfielders who can pick out the killer balls.

re. creativity of the DMC. It all depends on the skills of the DMC and what you want him to do. If you want him to be the start of all your attacks, looking for killer balls from deep and he has the skills to do it (eg Pirlo or Alonso type player) then really you want him to have quite high creativity (high normal I'd try first). If you want him to destroy the opposition and play simple passes to better players, then you'd want him on quite low creativity (something beneath normal) as you don't want to risk him trying silly passes and them not coming off (eg Makelelelelele, Essien, Mascherano type players).

If you want to be a bit different, you can actually have your deep lying midfielder as your playmaker, while your other midfielder is the ball winner. This works very well when the ball winning midfielder has skills to be a threat to goal as well as a big engine (eg Keane or Gerrard type player) and the deep lying midfielder is capable of stupendously accurate long range passing or needs a lot of space in order to do his job (Neil Webb looked a million dollars for Nottingham Forest in this role).

There are a few ways to run a 4-4-2 even with a flat midfield 4 :)

re. passing - don't go so short that your player in possession does not have options. He should have 3 simple options at all times in the middle third of the pitch - forwards, backwards and to at least one side. Your passing should vary depending on what you are trying to do with the match. If you're defending, then short passing at the back is asking for trouble - but short passing up front will keep the ball up at the oppositions' end. If you're attacking, then short passing up front may not get the ball out wide quickly enough to stretch the defence - whereas a more direct style of play will do. But you don't want to be hoofing the ball forward to be dealt with easily by the opposition's defence so you'd want your players at the back to play a shorter passing game so that they find your creative midfielders who can pick out the killer balls.

Thanks. ;P