Jamumools

Reaction score
I know the answer is going to ultimately be "be a manager!" but I would appreciate some help...

Heading into the final stages of the first season. Playing as Chelsea. Using Passion4FM's Barca tactic, with some minor tweaks applied to suit my players. I use the opposition instructions and shouts as instructed, and make minor tweaks to the formation to counter specific threats in the opposition. I've always done better against good teams, presumably as they play more open, attacking football, which lets me play my own game.

However... The last 6 games things have gone pearshaped. Failed to score against Stoke for a 0-0 draw where they parked the bus, then lost 1-0 to QPR (which took them to second. SI have a VERY high opinion of Harry Redknapp!). Beat Lille 5-1 over 2 legs of the Champions League but then drew 2-2 to Southampton and just lost the FA Cup semi to Man Utd. Morale hasn't seemed to be an issue, I did a team meeting after the QPR defeat which put everyone green again, and even after the Utd defeat it's still all good or very good. I have pretty much kissed the league goodbye, 7 games to go, 7 points off the pace with a game in hand. It's totally doable but not if this slump continues. Champions League is winnable, semi against Bayern Munich coming up, and I will probably focus my efforts (i.e. first team) on this. I suppose I am most worried about next year, because it would be galling to get to this stage and fluff my lines again!

Do I need to change tactics? I really like possession based football, it's why I play FM, and love looking at it. I don't think it's my players abilities or suitability to their roles, with some training, and significant buying (Abramovich keeps giving me more money!) I have world class players in every position, quite often in the second team as well. They've all been in place since the start of the season so it's not that.

Torres is a potential weak spot, he's gone 12 hours without scoring, but prior to that he had 18 goals in all competitions and his CA is back up to 161 (from 150 at the start of season). I'm currently training him to place shots which might improve his hit rate. Typically in a game we have 55-70% possession and shots on target in double figures, I just need to score. In fact, this whole rant is really about scoring.

Anyways, please let me know if you think of anything, cause it's driving me nuts!

Eek it got worse! No on 4 game run of losing, albeit after Man Utd I had Arsenal, Man City then Bayern Munich. Season = fail, unless I turn around a 2 goal deficit vs Bayern. At this rate I won't even qualify for CL football next year, which could be catastophic...

Do I need to change tactics? I really like possession based football, it's why I play FM, and love looking at it.

yes of course mate! you cannot expect to go to Bayern/United and try and play possession football, they will destroy you!

have 3 different tactics/formations, have one for home (possession if you like) and one for away (counter/quick) and one well as you please!

you have the players that suit a very quick attacking, dribbling game, not a possession game at Chelsea!

You have Hazard, Juan Mata, Oscar, Torres etc.. use them to their full potential! passing the ball around 1000 times and drawing 0:0 is not going to win you games and or trophies!

possession on this year's FM is not as easy at it was in Fm12, the engine has changed and I still feel the engine is not ready for proper possession tactics, some may disagree however, thats just my opinion!

In fact, this whole rant is really about scoring

play with a quicker tempo, set the striker as the TM (ball to feet) allow more creative freedom in your players like Torres/Mata and Hazard (I assume you have most of the positions set to quite low freedom for possession?)

Chelsea have such a great squad, don't not use them properly :)

Its like taking Manchester United and playing 352! No Rafael, no Evra, we dont have the quality in the middle to play that many mids and not using our wingers like Valencia to their full effect.. its pointless :)

So I suggest making (or downloading) a 4321 and playing a quick, attacking/controlling, default passing, high pressing fluid approach and see how things pan out..

I am working on my new Dortmund recreation tactic which I am now using for United (I always start a new save with them after the last patch gets released :)) and its going extremely, extremely well!

let me know if you want to give it a shot and will upload it and send you the link :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-fm13-how-get-right-reaction.html#post1712428
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...m13-tactical-guide-beginners.html#post1650792

Ok thanks, I will get on that. Think it's probably time to set my own tactic up, rather than downloading. I normally do, but this edition, which is the hardest to get right, and so therefore I think the most realistic, I have been standing on other people's shoulders!

What i would do is cry , scream , shout , slap me laptop then i would sit think and rethink my tactics see what players are working and what tactic is strongest for your players. Look around and see what others are doing and take note of what works and tweak around with different ideas.

More creative freedom, fluid playstyle and quicker tempo (or the other way round) did it once for me.
If it's ok for you, you could save & reload to see the effects of your changes - IMO there's no shame in doing it as many times as there are days between your last match and the one you're reloading. If you're managing a team you could see (to some degree) how those changes effect your playstyle during training - hence the limitation to training days. Better that than losing every last bit of motivation and fun, after all it's still just a game and games should be fun.

Ok thanks, I will get on that. Think it's probably time to set my own tactic up, rather than downloading. I normally do, but this edition, which is the hardest to get right, and so therefore I think the most realistic, I have been standing on other people's shoulders!

I downloaded more than 50 tactics, tried them all, but in the end i come up with a tactic of my own during shower :)D) and now i use it home and away.

Give yourself a chance!

Play 451 counter attack for a while and think about results rather than performances to build morale back up.

Just thought I'd mention my next game was the second leg of the CL semi final. Going into the game 2-0 down. Changed my tactics to the Better Half's asymetric, with some modifications, as I felt that best matched my players and Raikan007's suggestions. Was beating Bayern 2-0 at about 60 minutes when they changed to a defensive outlook, so I went back to my version of Passion4FM's Barca tactic...

We won 5-0!!!!!!!!!

My arm actually hurts from all the air punching I just did!!

Ha ha! The Assistant Manager's suggestion was that "I think we can be pleased with the football we've played" - no **** sherlock!!

Oh and I just got offered a new contract. Can you tell I'm pleased? :eek:)