What does Minimum Release Clause (Clubs in Champions Clubs) mean?

ultimate7star

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I know this question may sound stupid and ridiculous but I've searched the NET and couldn't find the answer. What does Minimum Release Clause (Clubs in Champions Clubs) mean?

I am trying to buy Adnan Januzaj, my club was the last year Champions Cup winner and this season currently still in the running - 1st league position. I have the money but somehow couldn't activate his release clause for $92M. What is wrong?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 302734

only thing i can think of is if man u are not in the cl then you can get him if there not and you still cant get him then i dont know sorry not much help i know

I'm guessing its the minimum release clause for teams playing in the champions cup. Pretty sure a bid of $92M upfront should work.

you have to be playing in the champions league and you have to bid 92 mil euros upfront. No monthly installments.

You have to be in the champions cup and man u must not be

It means like say PSG offer the £92million the club must accept it but say Stoke offer £92m and they're not in the Champions League they are not obliged to accept it.

Thanks Guys - my Club (Man City) IS currently in Champions League and so DOES Man Utd.

I did bid USD92M and even higher upfront and couldn't activate the release clause (it's been rejected and there is no sign of that little green exclamation mark).

Perhaps the Man Utd needs to be OUT of Champions League for it to work - I am not sure at the moment.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Why would you want to pay £92m for Januzaj anyway?!?!?

Good question - First of all he hurt me few times with great runs and amazing goals. He needs to be in my team not my opponents. Secondly I think he is homegrown. Third : He has a lot of potential and very versatile in different positions. He is very interested to join me and have fought few times with his manager but Man Utd wouldn't let go unless with $240M+ :( :(

Im a Man United fan and hes terrible!!! You must be able to get a top class player for £20-40m

Hey Guys, allow me to answer my own question :)
It appears that the Bidding Club needs to have enough points to secure Champions League spot FIRST before being able to activate the clause. In another word, you can only activate the clause once your club is guarantee to be in top 4 - I assume it will be near the end of the season. This explains why I couldn't not activate it in January.

The "Januzaj has a minimum fee" bla bla bla was not shown at the start of the season or in January when I tried to bid him.
See below.

View attachment 302036

get hazard, why waste 92 mil on him if youve got plenty of money to burn buy messi or ronaldo or neymar dont waste ya money on him!!!!

I certainly love Hazard (I am fan of Chelsea) but do you think Chelsea is willing to part with him? Only with a bid of 180M straight money Chelsea will accept.