Velveti

Reaction score
Does it increase the likelihood of a player not passing the ball or does it make the player keep possession until he finds an open team mate?

they stop/slow the play,sometimes on a counter attack,allowing time for more people to get forward

I'm not entirely sure, but you would think that it would be the latter. The reason I say this is because normally you have a player like a lone striker with this option ticked and if he does get the ball he waits for wingers/midfield support to pass to, instead of trying to run at the defense all by himself.

BTW sorry about our last, er... encounter :)

Last edited:
Imagine how Berbatov plays for Man Utd and that is basically what that does.

Typically used by target men who receive the ball, hold it up and then lay it off to either attacking midfielders or fellow strikers, but you could experiment using it on creative midfielders to maximise their creative freedom.

Stats-wise, for a target man you'd ideally want good first touch, strength and passing. Plus maybe some creativity if you want the striker to be able to thread the ball through to a striker partner.

For creative midfielders, obviously passing/creativity, plus a dose of decisions and concentration is handy so that they don't always hold it up, or get caught trying to do it in stupid areas.

Advantages? Generally it gives more time for other players to move into positions to in turn receive the ball. Works nicely with a strong front man who can play through balls, supported by a couple of attacking midfielders - watch the striker hold it up and then thread the AMs clean through.

I did copy this.

I'm not entirely sure, but you would think that it would be the latter. The reason I say this is because normally you have a player like a lone striker with this option ticked and if he does get the ball he waits for wingers/midfield support to pass to, instead of trying to run at the defense all by himself.

BTW sorry about our last, er... encounter :)

It's all good.

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Typically used by target men who receive the ball, hold it up and then lay it off to either attacking midfielders or fellow strikers, but you could experiment using it on creative midfielders to maximise their creative freedom.

Stats-wise, for a target man you'd ideally want good first touch, strength and passing. Plus maybe some creativity if you want the striker to be able to thread the ball through to a striker partner.

For creative midfielders, obviously passing/creativity, plus a dose of decisions and concentration is handy so that they don't always hold it up, or get caught trying to do it in stupid areas.

Advantages? Generally it gives more time for other players to move into positions to in turn receive the ball. Works nicely with a strong front man who can play through balls, supported by a couple of attacking midfielders - watch the striker hold it up and then thread the AMs clean through.

I did copy this.

So, assuming you copied it from some sort of guide, this will be factual?

Good hint here, if you have a player that you have set instructions to hold up ball , you can also ask him in training to stop playing his way out of trouble as this will make him more decisive.Predominantly for a central midfielder ie: Carrick, scholes

I only tend to use hold up ball if the player has good strength