What i think this game misses, from tactical point of view

m160k

Reaction score
1. I really want to have with and without ball instructions. For example, i want my team to stretch the field vertically as much as possible, when with the ball. That means - rigid formation with deep defensive line. But without the ball, i want them to be packed and to push the press outside of the penalty area - that means very fluid and higher defensive line.

2. I want to have 2 different types of tempo - tempo of the ball and tempo of the player. I want my players to move the ball as fast as possible, with 1 touch most of the time, but also dont want them running like horses and getting tired after 45 minutes.

3. I want my 3 forwards no never participate in the build-up play. The only time they should play with the ball is when they shoot the ball.

4. I want my 2 wide forwards to hug the touchline, when the ball is in the middle and to move into the penalty area only when the ball is on the opposite flag.

Some things aren't quite clear.

1. So you want attacking duties up top and defend/reserved duties at the back with a mentality that causes you to press just outside the box? The mentality is what controls the aggression and you could play a 4-1-4-1 with modified WM(a)s to get that vertical height on attack and coming behind the ball on defence.

2. So you want passing lanes without players running ahead of the ball? Either way folks will have to run for space or if they think they can counter. Do you also want this in the same tactic as point 1?

3. Do you want this along with the others? You can't completely isolate a player, but if he has low teamwork, workrate, tactic is highly structured, attack duties with little creative freedom, ppms that make them push forward would make them contribute very little to build up, but it wouldn't make them completely stay on the shoulder at all times.

4. The wide attacking midfield positions (AML and AMR) are not as flexible as they could be, but with the MR and ML attacking the same space , you can modify a WM(a) to do that.

I find that there are engine is limited but there are workarounds that can do similar to what you want.

Last edited:
The engine could do with more defensive improvements. Like when you have a free player zoning in front of a back line that is man marking, the opposing player pulls his marker out of position and have the zoning player drop temporarily to fill the space.

Admittedly it's not easy to identify, and I'm not totally sure about this, but I think you can achieve all of what you want from the game as it stands. Here's how I do it - see what you think:

1. You know how to set up your open, expansive attacking style. To achieve that tighter defensive stance, use the Opposition Instructions to man-mark and close down their players, tackle the stronger ones hard and show them onto their weaker foot. If you limit the OIs to their midfielders and attackers only, then you'll effectively be pressing when in your own half. You may find that overlapping full backs need to be dealt with sometimes, too.

2. In regards to tempo, if you have your team retain possession and set key players to less/more risky passes, ideally with your central midfielders trained to switch the ball to the opposite flank and the most creative midfielder to try killer balls often, you can make the ball do the work while playing a high tempo style.

3. The extent to which a striker gets involved in the build-up play depends on the role you assign to him. Go to the tactics screen and read the descriptions for each role. Deep Lying Forwards will get involved but Poachers are all about shooting the ball. If you are playing with three up front then I'd recommend giving them separate roles so they occupy different areas of the pitch.

4. If you tell the wingers to hug the touchline and whip crosses to the far post, you'll find that the opposite winger is the one getting on the end of it. Certainly worked for me at Everton where I had Patrick Roberts on the left and Julian Brandt on the right, with Brandt scoring 17 goals by mid-season in the Championship.

A previous version of FM used to let you instruct your wingers to swap flanks. I'd like to be able to do this but with each player playing the role differently. Patrick Roberts, for example, is left footed plays as a left winger or as an inside forward from the right. Julian Brandt is a right winger or an inside forward on the left so if they swap wings I want them to play the roles as best suits their abilities - but I want to be able to instruct that before the match starts rather than make manual changes during the match.

A previous version of FM used to let you instruct your wingers to swap flanks. I'd like to be able to do this but with each player playing the role differently. Patrick Roberts, for example, is left footed plays as a left winger or as an inside forward from the right. Julian Brandt is a right winger or an inside forward on the left so if they swap wings I want them to play the roles as best suits their abilities - but I want to be able to instruct that before the match starts rather than make manual changes during the match.

Rochy you ca do the last bit in the player menu in tactics and define "add player" to each position so you can allocated what the player dictates the role, not the role instructions..

QP4.png

As for the OP you can do nearly every thing he asks for already.

Last edited:
I think tandem instructions are missing. If the right fullback is attacking then the left back stays back. Same with a pair of central midfielders. We should be able to tell them both to get forward if possible, but not when their partner is already forward.

1. I really want to have with and without ball instructions. For example, i want my team to stretch the field vertically as much as possible, when with the ball. That means - rigid formation with deep defensive line. But without the ball, i want them to be packed and to push the press outside of the penalty area - that means very fluid and higher defensive line.

+1

I would also like to see something like that in FM :)