What is a good way to start after promotion?

Ronaldoz

Reaction score
Recently I promoted with FC Zwolle to the Eredivisie.
I survived the 1st season by ending ranked 15th.
Got a question about this.

What do you do after promotion?
Spend all the transfer money for players, or do you do it all by free transfers?
What do you do, to survive and become a good team in that league?

EDIT:
I think this thread could help, by telling what obstacles you are hitting, when promoted and what will occurs in the years after

Last edited:
Try giving chances to your best youth players, and start first challenging your players, take off the pressure over their shoulders, expecting not much of the team.

being in players on loan always works well for me

Get as many loan players as possible. Free transfers, get a huge squad on quite low wages. Depth is absolutely key.

i look at my side to see if they over achieved or not becuase if they were among the favourites to go up last year then i look to patch up any weaknesses with free agents or people who are marked down in price by quite abit. whereas if they overachieved then i ease teh pressure off of them during the season and i try to bring in free's or spread my budget about.

either way i schedule freindlies against tough teams that are either better then the teams in my division or teams equal to the top teams in my new division before a couple of easy games to raise moral and to get them in a winning mentality, and make sure i spread the budget to cover any positions that need improving whilst saving a little bit incase i need to replace a long term injury mid season.

Great suggestions.

What I'm doing:

* Getting a lot of free loaners
* Some are end 20's or 30's, but suit the competition very well
* I also sign kinda much young players, that are not as good as those older boys yet
(they are worth a nice amount of money, so can always sell them if they are not okay for future)
But have some players, that are young and stunning already
* I only paid 5% of all transfers
* Signed 5 new trainers and fired my assistent-manager, and have a much better one back
* signed 5 new scouts as well
* Scout a lot
* Add potential players for your team to the wish list, and check if you could buy one of them if needed
* Try to sign them, if their contract is ending

Result of this was for now:
* Much better and more advice from the staff
* Training rating raised by like 37-40%
* Young boys that are good for future purpose, if not, they can be sold easily
* Have some young players, that are very good already for the league I'm playing in
* Team is playing much better, than I thought they would be
* Very healthy financials (FC Zwolle is low on money at start, and for the league still is)
* I think, because of the training rating, players will grow much better and play better matches, because of the technical advice too

Future:
* Scout more & more and sign the good ones
* Getting better staff
* Getting cheap or free 16 / 17 / 18 players and let them play in the -19 team
* Hope the board will be okay, by getting better training facilities & youngster facilities

The less positive things:
* The first season after promotion, my players were getting injured match after match
* Lot of players with yellow cards
* Signed a player for 1,1 million that is good, but not worth that money
* A very good player that I signed for free has been sold. For 2,3 million, but lack this season for that position.

After promotion, I undertake an evaluation of my squad and see who I think will still cut it in the league

Sell those that won't and bring in the best defence and GK available to your club. Then look at strikeforce and midfield after.

Survival first season is most important, then I look to build my attacking force after that 2nd season in the league

I really like how you do it.
After 2 seasons, I think that's the best way to do it.

Take a look at clubs that got relegated and see if you can pick up any of their players that may want to leave.

Have something going on, that's not that good:

* great players got sold
* loans were getting too high

The club was going low on money, while I made profit earlier that season after a month (that was unique).

* A free player contracted player has been sold for 2.800.000 million, right wing player
* Some reserve players got sold
* My striker got attention, after scoring a lot. He is 21 and worth 1.900.000 million.
A new striker has signed for free. Got more strikers, but the new is a nice replace for him, and younger.
* For ending 10th, the club got a 1.200.000 Euro
* Season tickets will be 1.300.000

So now, that has been saved.

What to do now
* Now I try to get rid of some very expensive players, that are not very necessary. But 2 of them, are great as well for the 1st team
* Need a good right winger, but also prefer another left winger. Not sure about the one I got now.

Look at you players overall ratings from the first season the ones that done good E.G scored goals being a striker or kept clean sheets as a keeper then keep the ones that didnt then sell so they dont bring your teams morale down

pour youre transfer money onto a potential hero for youre club, With dresden, once I Promoted to the 1. Bundesliga I dumped 8 mil on Asamoah Gyan, 2 seassons later he's named African Footballer of the Year plus he gets signed by Real Madrid.