Sheep888

Reaction score
Every time I start a game I always rush through the start, buying the same players, same tactics and I even get my assistant to take the friendlies. I just need some motivation to take my time and put effort in.

Who ho would you recommend to start with for this and in what game mode?

Are there any challenges you would recommend?

Cheers.

Full mode, pick whatever team you like but set yourself a maximum budget per player. E.G if you choose Man Utd then limit it to 10 mil.

Or play the first season without buying any players.

Or be a big club and sell your best players, if possible. I found it quite fun selling off RVP and Valencia etc as soon as I could and then tried to buy players I had never had before (Balanta, Cerri etc)

I've found that building a club up from scratch more fun then taking over a big team, especially if you chose one that won't have be able to instantly splash the cash as you've got a bit of catching up to do. That way you've still got strong rivals which keeps the interest for me as they are pushing you and can outspend you meaning you've got to be more clever with your money, especially if you are not playing in one of the top leagues.

I've found that building a club up from scratch more fun then taking over a big team, especially if you chose one that won't have be able to instantly splash the cash as you've got a bit of catching up to do. That way you've still got strong rivals which keeps the interest for me as they are pushing you and can outspend you meaning you've got to be more clever with your money, especially if you are not playing in one of the top leagues.

I like the sound of this! Who would you recommend? I like to start in the English Premier League, I was thinking a team like Southampton, Newcastle or Everton? You know good enough for an interest but not too good.

I like the sound of this! Who would you recommend? I like to start in the English Premier League, I was thinking a team like Southampton, Newcastle or Everton? You know good enough for an interest but not too good.

I started with Sportkring Sint Niklaas in the Belgian Third division, so after back to back promotions I've had to climb the league and try to overhaul a financially superior Anderlecht who keep being a challenge due to their superior financial strength, so when I start to dominate the league I'll only then be a regular in the champions league knockout rounds.

In terms of English clubs I think Southampton would be quite a good choice as they've already got the youth facilities and a side that could already challenge for a Europa League place if not more.

Everton would be good as long as they don't get a tycoon as it would force you to look for bargains to keep your team competitive.

Personally I'd either pick Swansea because it wouldn't be too hard to adapt them to my way of playing and they've got a good base to build on and I want to have a full career with them at some point as I normally use them on the demo. Or West Ham as they have a good youth system in real life, though I'm not sure how that's translated in game, and their squad would be a good starting point as they aren't too bad but it would be a challenge to convert them to how I'd play as they wouldn't fit that well to begin with and it might be hard to move on those that don't fit.

I like the challenge of managing a club in a nation that isn't one of the football powers. The most fun I've had on FM14 was when I was playing as Maribor in Slovenia. I tried to build them into a top European club while focusing on developing home grown talent in order to turn Slovenia into a world powerhouse. Unfortunately I stopped playing the save when the transfer patch came out but I was being competitive in the Champions League and I was developing some good Slovenian players.

Eastern Europe is a good place to find clubs like Maribor since most nations aren't known for their domestic leagues. Look for a top team who is in the Champions League from a small nation, avoid teams in debt and use your profits (which will mostly come from qualifying for the group stage) to improve your youth facilities and junior coaching. My board allowed me to upgrade my youth facilities every season with Maribor since we were always turning a profit.

I have started one with Southampton and should be finished my first season tonight so I will upload some pics and stats later.

Rickey Lambert is a GOD.

The best league I played in was Brazil. The competitions are bizarre.

I think I was Flamengo and played Boca in the Copa Libertadores final. The first 2 legs I won 3-1 and drew 1-1. So due to seeding it went to a 3rd leg playoff. I drew that 1-1 which meant I lost the final, again due to seeding. Insane.

The best league I played in was Brazil. The competitions are bizarre.

I think I was Flamengo and played Boca in the Copa Libertadores final. The first 2 legs I won 3-1 and drew 1-1. So due to seeding it went to a 3rd leg playoff. I drew that 1-1 which meant I lost the final, again due to seeding. Insane.

Yes Brazil is the awesomest. Especially a financially stable team with good squad in the second division such as PALMEIRAS in the current FM version ...

I would recommend taking the job at Hull City.

It really is a good project to sink your teeth into. They have a really low media expectation but have the potential to be taken to at least the level of Southampton or Everton.

First season might be difficult as it is their first season in the league but more than possible to keep them up.

The board are great and pretty much accept all your requests to buy stadium, extend the stadium, improve youth and training facilities. They also give you really good transfer budgets and in my second season gave me ?14 million and then when I said I wanted to sign a high profile player they allowed me a further 8 million.

I am now in my second season and already doing much better than the previous season with a really good first team squad and teams like West Ham and Newcastle offering me a job because of how well I am doing. Just below mid table but I fully expect in two seasons to be challenging for a Europa spot and I have so many top young players coming through.