LFCPeardude

Reaction score
im liverpool playing in a 4-2-4(4-4-2) formation with a high d-line and need help on what role to give the centerbacks :) so please any suggestion ?

just make them normal center backs. but make sure you play offside trap and maybe use sweeper keeper

ball playing defender(cover) // limited defender (stopper)

set BPD to through balls often
set LD to through balls sometimes

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

oh yeah for this to work play zonal marking with a normal defensive line ( about the last notch before it turns to push up)

untick offside trap

im liverpool playing in a 4-2-4(4-4-2) formation with a high d-line and need help on what role to give the centerbacks :) so please any suggestion ?
So if you have a high d-line then you must play Limited Defenders (defend) as they are more sure in tackling and will not give away balls so fast.Then if you want them to act something like Pique and Puyol then make them MAN mark so they stay close to the opponent and if the ball is played to them they can intercept it easier.

So if you have a high d-line then you must play Limited Defenders (defend) as they are more sure in tackling and will not give away balls so fast.Then if you want them to act something like Pique and Puyol then make them MAN mark so they stay close to the opponent and if the ball is played to them they can intercept it easier.

Offside trap on or off? :D

Depends if youre fullbacks/wingbacks are making often Runs from deep.Personally i play with a DM(anchor man with with everything on low-mentality passing creativi-only tackling is on normal and closing down one notch under close in own half so he can keep things verry simple and sit right infront of my deffenders).If you are attacking with both fullbacks and you have just youre CBs behind i suggest using the offside trap.I hope this helps you because im just a starter.This is what i heard and experimented a little bit.If something goes wrong hope i can help you again even if im not really a Guardiola or Mourinho :D.

Last edited:
If you play the highest line possible, you don't need to tick offside trap...

Depends if youre fullbacks/wingbacks are making often Runs from deep.Personally i play with a DM(anchor man with with everything on low-mentality passing creativi-only tackling is on normal and closing down one notch under close in own half so he can keep things verry simple and sit right infront of my deffenders).If you are attacking with both fullbacks and you have just youre CBs behind i suggest using the offside trap.I hope this helps you because im just a starter.This is what i heard and experimented a little bit.If something goes wrong hope i can help you again even if im not really a Guardiola or Mourinho :D.

I love you dude :D in a non gay way of course :p your tips have made my team go 10 games without conceding any goals :D you may not be Guardiola or Mourinho but you are one tactical genius when it comes to defense :D

Last edited:
It depends on what kind of striker(s) you're playing against. Usually for 1 striker with no supporting AMC, set your CB to one defend, one cover; for 1 striker with 1 AMC behind, play 1 stopper, one cover; for 2 strikers, play both as CB defend; for 2 strikers with 1 AMC behind, i'm afraid you need to play a DM just to be safe. One more thing, to prevent your CB from exposing the defence, ask them "not to dive into tackles" and "mark opponent tightly" as preferred moves.

It depends on what kind of striker(s) you're playing against. Usually for 1 striker with no supporting AMC, set your CB to one defend, one cover; for 1 striker with 1 AMC behind, play 1 stopper, one cover; for 2 strikers, play both as CB defend; for 2 strikers with 1 AMC behind, i'm afraid you need to play a DM just to be safe. One more thing, to prevent your CB from exposing the defence, ask them "not to dive into tackles" and "mark opponent tightly" as preferred moves.

Against 1 striker and AMC you will be slaughtered with stopper/cover, as your stopper doesn't mark the AMC, leading to a situation where stopper is higher on the pitch than cover, but not high enough to defend AMC, so when AMC recieves the ball, he can pass it to striker who is on 1-on-1 with defender or even with goalkeeper, if AMC plays good through ball. Against AMC, if you are not using DMs, set other one of your CMs to specific marking to the AMC.