what kind of defending is this supposed to be?

theone25

Reaction score
I mean i get all the not the best defensive team but this is ridiculous!

I hope its fixed soon in some patch.. this isn't the first time I've conceded like this!

EDIT.. one more in the same match... *sigh*

what are they even supposed to be doing out there? its not like there's anyone to mark.

Last edited:
Well, what instructions have you given them ?

Whilst this may be a bug, it's not an uncommon way to defend against free kicks, covering and marking space rather than a player. It's something I have seen plenty of times.

Last edited:
I generally have them on retain posession, pass to feet, hassle oppenents, play thru def, hit early cross.. work ball into box..

I have no problems with ppl losing their man.. happens all the time, I'm fine with that. But the one or two players out wide for no apparent reason destroying the offside trap(which is off btw) and allowing them the easiest opp to score is absolutely infuriating. I even had them on def set pieces.. with 4.5 star coach. and thats twice in the same match.. they scored off the first one.

Last edited:
I've seen other people struggling with the same problem. Haven't experienced it myself, but if it's a bug - which is looking quite likely - I'm sure it'll be fixed in the next patch. You could always contact SI or ask on their forums.

If it was for No 10 and 8 in the first picture, and just 10 in the second, then this would be a great way of defending, playing everyone offside!

And as TBH said, not uncommon to mark like that, Arsenal do it most of the time (Unfortunately, to no avail :'( )

I was referring to their instructions on Defensive set pieces.

having two players marking air near the corner flag and keeping players onside isnt done in real life. This is clearly a bug likely related to def set piece instructions.

If your Chelsea, i dont see what you are complaing for, your still in a job!!! :)

having two players marking air near the corner flag and keeping players onside isnt done in real life. This is clearly a bug likely related to def set piece instructions.

Exactly my point! no matter what instructions I give them on defending set pieces that shouldn't be happening.. not even a team of 6th graders would be dumb enough to defend like this (given there's a linesman)

If it was for No 10 and 8 in the first picture, and just 10 in the second, then this would be a great way of defending, playing everyone offside!

And as TBH said, not uncommon to mark like that, Arsenal do it most of the time (Unfortunately, to no avail :'( )

I am Chelsea and this bug is costing me goals. No team in real life sends one player to play the whole opp team onside when the defensive line is 10 yrds higher ! My question is what are they doing there, setting up a wall 40 yrds from the free kick spot?