Darrylpne

Reaction score
Lately I've been getting bored of FM mainly because I feel that in order to be successful all you need to do is buy the best players and watch the team play. It's really frustrating because I feel like I'm not actually doing anything when I am successful and then in situations where good tactics are required to win e.g. playing a Prem team in the cup with a Championship team I never stand a chance because I don't know what to do to give my team the edge.

Besides the occasional tactic such as playing with a defensive midfielder if my scout says the opposition plays a formation like 4-1-2-1-2 or exploiting a particular flank if their full back is sent off I feel like I am basically just watching the game and hoping for the best.

So, what small changes/tactical decisions do you use that win you games and make you a good manager?

OI instructions are very underrated on here. I think all my tactics were **** until I mastered this part of the game. Your tactic and style dictates to a great degree how good your players will play, OI instructions dictate how badly the opposition will play. Combine the two and you increase your chances of a win greatly.

There is a thread on here somewhere about them but some basic tips:
Hard tackling for anyone with poor strength and bravery
Force virtually every player onto their worse foot* except wingers if the forwards are **** at heading but great at finishing/dribbling
Press players who could be dangerous but have low technique
Tight mark the players who you judge to be the greatest goal threats to your team (I usually don't tight mark more than a max of three players in any one game - you stop your own team being creative if you mark too many)

Side line shouts also important. Logical but if the opposition is having a cross success rate of more than 35%, you need to play wider. If there is too much space for them in the centre, play tighter. Lots of other tips but there's a start for you