craiigman

Reaction score
While I understand this game can be very hard on computer resources I'm struggling to see how my computer can't handle 6 playable leagues at no more than 3 1/2 star estimated speed.

My computer specs are pretty good (This is not me "showing off", I'm trying to work out why the estimated speed is so low):

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6079M 1024MB graphics card

With that setup I think that it should be able to handle 6 playable leagues fine. I have 42,000 approx player count and I've even dropped a couple of leagues from 3 tiers to just 2. I do have the database set to Large.

From playing the game I think that the main pressure it puts on is the CPU and the RAM. But it's not like my CPU and RAM aren't good. I can't quite understand the problem. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of my system or thinking 3 1/2 stars is bad (maybe it's good for 6 leagues?) but it just seems a little low to me.

I've been thinking about getting a MacBook Pro Retina display (as the new ones should be out soon) but comparing the specs the processor is worse (in terms of speed) and not as high RAM. It does however have an SSD which would make loading the game faster, but I can't see how that would really effect the performance, or would it? Do you think having a SATA disk drive effects the rating?

I mean for computer performance it's on 5*. I can't work it out, but like I said, maybe I'm asking for too much?

My game estimated speed is only half a star and still runs like a dream and fast aswell. I have **** loads of nations/leagues loaded with i think 74000 players and have large database aswell. Think that star system is just a load of bollocks tbh, i have played FM on worse laptops than what i have now and it still ran fast.

My game estimated speed is only half a star and still runs like a dream and fast aswell. I have **** loads of nations/leagues loaded with i think 74000 players and have large database aswell. Think that star system is just a load of bollocks tbh, i have played FM on worse laptops than what i have now and it still ran fast.

Hmm, okay, I'll bare that in mind. Anyone else have the same as above?

I've run FM10 onwards on a 1.6GHz and 6gb RAM PC and I never had any problems. I remember when it got to around 2020+ on FM12 and it started to slow down a lot, but I put that down to me abusing the add/remove leagues part - I got genie scout to see how many players were loaded and it was around 150k+ haha. Pretty much ruined that save for me because it became unplayable.

I normally load around 6 leagues/nations, 3 playable and 3 view only on large database and never get more than half a star and it runs fine. OR if I'm planning on a long term save with one team I load just one playable and then most of the top leagues on view-only i.e. England playable then Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal and Holland on view-only. Never done anything like a pentagon challenge because I think in time it would literally melt my PC - but I never have the time or commitment to do them so I usually just stick with my local team Manchester City and then European teams such as Athletic, Feyenoord, Schalke, Sampdoria and then whatever tickles my fancy.

In all honesty I wouldn't pay too much attention to the star ratings, with 3.5stars I think it'll run like an absolute dream for you.

Last edited:
While I understand this game can be very hard on computer resources I'm struggling to see how my computer can't handle 6 playable leagues at no more than 3 1/2 star estimated speed.

My computer specs are pretty good (This is not me "showing off", I'm trying to work out why the estimated speed is so low):

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6079M 1024MB graphics card

With that setup I think that it should be able to handle 6 playable leagues fine. I have 42,000 approx player count and I've even dropped a couple of leagues from 3 tiers to just 2. I do have the database set to Large.

From playing the game I think that the main pressure it puts on is the CPU and the RAM. But it's not like my CPU and RAM aren't good. I can't quite understand the problem. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of my system or thinking 3 1/2 stars is bad (maybe it's good for 6 leagues?) but it just seems a little low to me.

I've been thinking about getting a MacBook Pro Retina display (as the new ones should be out soon) but comparing the specs the processor is worse (in terms of speed) and not as high RAM. It does however have an SSD which would make loading the game faster, but I can't see how that would really effect the performance, or would it? Do you think having a SATA disk drive effects the rating?

I mean for computer performance it's on 5*. I can't work it out, but like I said, maybe I'm asking for too much?

hey bro, I have an i7 as well but what I did which has improved FM performance a TON is I installed it on a RAM drive. Google "DataRam Ram disk"

hey bro, I have an i7 as well but what I did which has improved FM performance a TON is I installed it on a RAM drive. Google "DataRam Ram disk"

Ram disks are a lot of messing about and with the nature of ram, pretty volatile. SSD would give similar benefits. Just get a 30gb one just for football manager for the same/ less cost. Also, can everyone's motherboard here support the ammount of ram needed to make a separate drive? If he is using a laptop... probably not.

On a side note, I wouldn't go off the stars. I have an overclocked FX 8350 (8 cores). And I get 3 stars with 20 or so leagues, yet I can go on holiday to the next match (3-10 days) in maybe 15 seconds.

It uses all 8 cores when on holiday too. Finally a game that made this processor worthwhile.

Last edited:
Personally I am finding this fm a lot slower than previous versions. I have the same league setup as I had on previous versions, 15 playable leagues and the rest as viewable only. The star rating I find is too hit and miss as that set up gives me 5* performance and 1 star game speed. I do find the star system will vary if you have other applications open at the time of setting up a new game. Only time will tell if there is a major loss in speed the further I go into any save games. I am not sure what my pc specs are (stuck in work atm) but they are roughly a 3gb processor and 4gb ram.

Personally I am finding this fm a lot slower than previous versions. I have the same league setup as I had on previous versions, 15 playable leagues and the rest as viewable only. The star rating I find is too hit and miss as that set up gives me 5* performance and 1 star game speed. I do find the star system will vary if you have other applications open at the time of setting up a new game. Only time will tell if there is a major loss in speed the further I go into any save games. I am not sure what my pc specs are (stuck in work atm) but they are roughly a 3gb processor and 4gb ram.

Ram won't be the issue, just checked mine and it's using ~1gb

3gb processor..?

There is an issue with the star rating concerning computer performance. The bug is known to SI, but it doesn't affect actual performance. So for now you can disregard the star rating.

Basically my setup has not changed in anyway since going from fm 13 to fm 14 but there is a noticeable change in game speed. I just hope it doesn't become an issue too far into any saves. My current save only has a small database as well as I forgot to load a bigger database upon start up.

Basically my setup has not changed in anyway since going from fm 13 to fm 14 but there is a noticeable change in game speed. I just hope it doesn't become an issue too far into any saves. My current save only has a small database as well as I forgot to load a bigger database upon start up.

Is the change in game speed actual or are you just referring to what the stars indicate?

Is the change in game speed actual or are you just referring to what the stars indicate?

The actual game speed, I would never rely on the star rating as it is so hit and miss with it's accuracy.

Good, because they're bugged out atm.

Yeah I have read a lot about that. I still don't understand why the game is running slower this year and it would be a consolation if others are experiencing the same thing.

Yeah I have read a lot about that. I still don't understand why the game is running slower this year and it would be a consolation if others are experiencing the same thing.

Well I couldn't really tell you, I've gotten a new rig in the meantime so it'd be unfair to compare it to my old dinosaur computer.

But I don't think I've seen a single post on the sigames bug forum about performance, other than the ones regarding the stars. The requirements haven't changed that much, of course it's a tad more demanding but not by much. What are your specs?

Well I couldn't really tell you, I've gotten a new rig in the meantime so it'd be unfair to compare it to my old dinosaur computer.

But I don't think I've seen a single post on the sigames bug forum about performance, other than the ones regarding the stars. The requirements haven't changed that much, of course it's a tad more demanding but not by much. What are your specs?

No idea without checking, I am currently stuck in work. I'll post them up later today when I get a chance. :)

hi can any1 help me fm 14 seems to run slow on my laptop especailly when international break here is specs for laptop if any1 can help that be great
lenovo G585
AMD E1 vision processor
integrated graphics
4G RAM
cheers