aykyle

Reaction score
I know I am knew and just registered here. So I don't expect a ton of help. But this is the first Soccer/football game I have ever played fully. I don't watch it on television so I know nothing about which players are good and which aren't.
Literally..
How I choose who to start and who not to is based on stats. I compare players and I count 1 every time a player has a higher stat number, and if the player I am thinking of starting has more higher values than the one I want to replace, I replace him. It's kinda foolish, really.

But my current formation I am using is a 4-2-3-1 formation I thought up my self(I noticed it was on here as well).

Here is the roster of people I have started at one point or another:
De Gea-GK
Michael Keane- D RC
Chris Smalling- D RC
Jonny Evans- D C
Rio Ferdinand- D C
Nemanja Vidic- D C
Rafael- D/DM R
Phil Jones- D/DM RC
Patrice Evra- D/DM L
Filipe(transfer)- D/DM L
David Alaba(transfer)- D/M LC
Scott Wootton- D/DM C
Alexander Buttner- D/M L
Michael Carrick- M C
Darren Fletcher- M C
Antonio Valencia- AM R
Nani- AM RL
Jucilei(pending transfer)- M RC
Tom Cleverley- M RLC
Shinji Kagawa(Transfer)- AM RLC
Anderson- MC
Leandro Paredes(pending transfer)- AM C
Robin van Persie- AM/F RC
Wayne Rooney- AM/S C
Danny Welbeck- S C

My current lineup:
De Gea(GK)
Filipe(DL), Jones(DR), Evans(DC), Alaba(DC)
Valencia(MC), Fletcher(MC)
Kagawa(AML), Nani(AMR), Van Persie(AMC)
Rooney(FC)

It works some times, but I just can't help but feel I am doing this wrong. I feel like they could be better. I have no funds for transfers. Sorry if this is asking too much. I know the point of the game is to find it out yourself, but I have been fired within the first season because I can't break out of third or make it to the Quarter Finals in any of the Cups.
What I am asking for is:
Formation and who to start
Team instructions
Tactical Roles

Thanks in advance to anyone who moderately helps me.

I also should note that I am using Football Manager Handheld 2013 for Android. So I don't really see what everyone else sees or get all of the players apparently.

Mate, we've all been where you are and wouldnt of got any further without some help :)

Im not a super tactician or player or anything but ill try help you out somewhat and alot of others will too so you can piece it all together.

Swap Rooney and Van Persie, RVP isnt an AMC.

Swap Alaba and Jones, Jones is natural DC, Alaba is natural LB but can be trained to RB

A few cheap and excellent options to buy are:

Wellington nem, can play anywhere across your forward midfield i.e AML, AMR or AMC - Fluminese, release clause (1st season) 3.5m.

Adryan - Flamengo, M/AM(C) (i think) Release clause - 825k

Not much more i feel i can offer you advice on really. try some different tactics, i created my own its in the tactics section "Fast & Effective Counter Attacking 4-3-3"

I use it for my Manchester United team and it works wonders, just move the Inside Forwards (IF) behind the striker and change their role to advanced playmaker (AP) works alot better for me but try either if you download it. There are plenty others that may or may not work but tactics dont just work straight away, give them time to learn the tactic and if its the right one then go with it.

Make sure you play to your teams strenghts and your players strengths and you should be fine :) best of luck and if theirs anything else i can help with just ask...hope i helped a little bit, i like to think i did lol

Thanks for the help. I tried your tactic and it worked great.
Thanks again.