Reaction score
hi all, I need your suggestion guys

I'm struggling whenever I got promoted

First, I managed FK Kom.
First season finished second, promoted to First League
Second season, 14 games without win and I delete the game

In another save, I managed Atletico Roma
First season finished second, win the playoff, promoted to Serie B
Second season, 2 wins, 1 draw, and about 7 defeats (I deleted the game, too)

so now, I want to know what will you do when you got promoted
any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance

Firstly, not sure why you would be deleting the games, some teams are going to struggle when promoted, especially without resources, it doesn't mean that you are a bad manager.

When I get promoted I try not to have expectations too high. Some people do it just to get the transfer budget which in turn means that if you are not doing well, it has a bad effect on the players, especially if you have set your expectations to another promotion or continental qualification. Most players then feel they are underachieving which leads to low morale and bad performances so always set it to the lowest expectation and try and overachieve.

buy players and try and survive, this time, dont delete the game, be a man and play on... ;)

set the lowest board expectations and try some hit and run tactics! develop a sqaud with a lot of depth as playing better teams will require better players and rotation...

other than that, good luck :wub:

First you need to stop deleting games when you're struggling: you're a newly promoted team with low reputation, you're supposed to struggle.

You probably need to change your approach: maybe you were used to attack all the time in lower leagues, now you have to play counter, with deeper line and lower tempo. Use defensive shouts according to different opponents and situations.

Maybe you can check the little Serie B guide in my San Marino thread, based on my experience with my newly promoted San Marino side (starting from C2). Nothing special, but maybe take a look (see end of OP to find the serie B part)

I deleted the game, because I can't see my team keep losing because of me.
it will just make me enraged, and I could throw my laptop through the window
I think delete the game much better than throw my laptop away!

so, do you keep your promotion-winner team, tactic, backroom staff, with only little changes, or do major changes, or even redo it from the scratch?

by the way, cheers for the suggestions

Last edited:
In general it depends on tactic I use. Usually when I go to higher league, I adopt more defensive tactic with counter attacking. So I look for free transfers/ good cheap transfers to strengthen my defence. It usually helps to finish above relegation (at least).

(with Southampton I finished 11th on 1st season in premier league, 6th on 2nd, 2nd on 3rd and last season I won PL. I'm in middle of 7th season in the game now and I'm 3rd).

BUT the key is tactic definitely- you can't play "all on attack" tactic against Inter Milan or Barcelona with just promoted team.

as little changes as possible mate, those are the players that got you there in the 1st place...

as I mentioned, you need to build on that squad! dont change it...

find free players, even put all your Transfer budget into your wage budget and just go shopping for good free agents ;)

you would be able to sign more backroom staff now as well, but do this wisely... dont waste cash on paying settlements, look for free agents...

its pretty obvious what needs to be done though mate ;) good luck

meh, i was just messing wif the lad. :p

i'd say get into the top 10 and challenge for the league in 3 years time :D

hi all, I need your suggestion guys

I'm struggling whenever I got promoted

First, I managed FK Kom.
First season finished second, promoted to First League
Second season, 14 games without win and I delete the game

In another save, I managed Atletico Roma
First season finished second, win the playoff, promoted to Serie B
Second season, 2 wins, 1 draw, and about 7 defeats (I deleted the game, too)

so now, I want to know what will you do when you got promoted
any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance
well i go as Cannes from amature football in last years fm to top league in four years, so first off be realistic about goals, like already been mentiond dont place high expectations on your team to get a higher budget. you can find some gems with a low budget. also free transfer i lived off free transfer during my save, sold them on to make a profit then buy a player in january to give me that push in the final part of the season. When i got promoted in my first season i knew second season was going to be tough so i played a last grab kind mentality. But defo get bosmans in. currently managing luton in the new fm and doing not bad the now in first season. good luck

first thing
when he is confirmed your promoted look for all the players who contract who run out that year and see if you can pick a few
second
buy at least 5 new players, starting for the back if they cant score u cant lose
pick a few good loan signings
thirdly
be a man about it and just play on i went 23 without a win once and it hurt so much but when i won i went on a winning role and survived

Raikann is not a fan of people messing about! I suggested he sign Roy Keane from Ipswich yesterday...he wasn't impressed.
In relation to this thread I find the more changes you make the more you tend to struggle. Just keep your initial squad intact, build on it to increase the depth and sign players for your weakest positions and always set the expectations to 'Attempt to Avoid Relegation' or ' Avoid Relegation'. And don't quit after 10 games because I've not won a game for ten games with two of my promoted sides and then I went on a winning streak and avoided relegation both times. So you do improve if you stick with it!
And as for throwing the laptop out of the window, ITS ONLY A GAME SON!

Beef

thanks for all suggestions guys (except oneunited)
I'll try Atletico Roma again

Patience is the key. I have just taken Redditch from the conference north into the 1st division in 7 seasons. I got back to back promotions from the conference premier, into the league1, and boy was that first season hard. I was second to bottom after 25 games couldn't buy a win for love or money. But I signed a lot of very young freebies when I was promoted and had a mass backroom clear out, so I was hoping the teams performances was down to the turmoil of change. In Jan I signed a few old resolute veterans and by Febuary perfromances had picked up. It was a very dramitic finish to the season, but I just managed it and finshed 18th. The second season was nearly as hard, the wage bill was crippling us and we struggled in the league ending 15th. However my third season is a completely different story. My oldies retired or released. My youth was comming of age at about 20- 21 and perfroming well. Suddently I have not lost a game in 6 and im top of league1. My finances have dramatically improved due to a lower wage bill (Releases and loans), selling high rep players and a solid league cup run beating Birmingham away. Bottom line is promotion can be hard, dont be too hard on yourself becuase survival is the name of the game, and to end 1 place above relegation can be a fantastic acheivement in itself. Dont delete your game, Take a sit back and look to try and find what you can do to improve, I guarantee if you can survive the first year it will get easier while playing at that new level.