what sort of TI should i be using

btwo5

Reaction score
sorry i can't use pics I'm playing football manager touch on ipad

i am spurs and I'm currently sitting 7th in february but i find I'm contending far to many goals and i can't get a good balance
i tend to use either 4-1-2-2-1 (if) or 4-2-3-1

i like to play attacking very fluid

the instructions i use are,

team shape

tempo: much higher

defence

defensive line: normal
closing down: sometimes
use tighter marking
get stuck in

build up

play out of defence
exploit the middle - should i go with exploit the flank if I'm using inside forwards
mixed passing
retain possession
be more expressive

attack

look for overlap
shoot on sight
roam from position

None.

Attacking is already very attacking. High tempo, higher line, more direct passing... so adding some of those TIs is pushing it to even further extremes. It doesn't help that you are kinda contradictory in some of the instructions, such as wanting to retain possession but also shoot on sight.

I would be shocked if you weren't giving up regular goals with such a set up. Counter-attacking is more effective on FM16 (for both user and AI) and you are basically asking to be countered. You are trying to play at a really high pace (which makes mistakes by your players more possible), asking them to take risks, and letting players get out of position.... so you are bound to turn over the ball and you are not going to have defensive players in proper positions. And depending on your roles and duties (which I am guessing are very aggressive), you may not have that many players trying to defend anyway.

Simplicity is often a good approach to start with. Find your shape, fluidity, and approach. No TIs or PIs. Sort out the roles, then use TIs minimally to adjust as needed. Don't add a TI just for the sake of adding. Question what you are trying to accomplish with it. For example, exploiting the middle or flanks - why are you targeting one or the other? Is one a weakness in the opposition formation or a strength for you? Do you have players you want to make particular use of or opponents you want to target? If these are no, why exploit?