Reaction score
Im looking to do a long term save with a half decent team on the new update, any recommendations?

I started a save with Southampton and chose to only sign English players. First season only managed to get Shawcross, Will Hughes and Jacob Mellis (purely for back up) and finished 8th, winning the FA cup (thrashed Newcastle 6-0 in the final!). Second season, I made some massive sales (Wanyama to PSG for ?30m, Lovren to Monaco for ?25m, Osvaldo for the agreed ?16m despite being injured all season and others) and got Barkley, Sturridge, Ruddy, Caulker, Livermore, Ravel Morrison, Craig Dawson, Lescott, Rudd, Ince, Bertrand (loan), Powell (loan) and a couple of regens for the sales. I know all of them aren't great, but it's a really fun save so far!

I like what you're doing, its fun but makes total sense, having players from the same nationality helps a lot, easy to communicate and no problem with the homegrown rules lol

It sounds like a lot of fun, i was thinking to do that with Arsenal but it was hard to sell some foreign players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the same as above with Southampton, finished 4th in the first season and then 7th in the second. After that first season expectations got a bit high especially when players weren't performing at all.
I had Forster as GK; Clyne, Shawcross, Cahill, Shaw as the back 4; Ward-Prowse, Rodwell, Hughes, Rodriguez, Lallana in midfield and Sturridge as lone striker but things weren't really working out that well. The squad was too young with not enough ability to bring in the younger players with a lot of potential and not enough money to buy established English players.
It has potential to be a good save so long as the league expectations aren't too high or you have a lot of money. It would probably work better at West Ham who have a good academy but with low expectations, although Southampton start with decent English players already. Wont be easy anyway!