What the ****! I thought San Marino was a restaurant in Bolton?!

BCAFC86

Reaction score
From Zero to San Marino (not the restaurant) Hero

View attachment 466981

Having just finished my Uefa coaching badges I decided, whilst on holiday in Monte Carlo, that it was time to get serious and apply for some vacant jobs. I was in a restaurant when I could her a man talking about how the only way forward for San Marino as a nation was to unify them with the club team and have them managed by the same man. I sat at the next table quietly telling my girlfriend that this rather drunk football fan had some good ideas....he overheard me.
After an hour and a half of talking football with the gentleman at the next table named Danilo Pretelli, he told me that he was the Chairman of San Marino Calcio of Serie C1. I was surprised, but surprise turned to shock when he told me that their manager had retired earlier in the week due to ill health and he offered me the job!!

It seems that our 90 minute chat had been some sort of interview after he had learned I was a fully qualified coach. He told me that he wanted a young manager with big ambition, determination, and commitment. He felt I possessed all of those assets. We had shared ideas about how the club could grow and it seemed we were on the same wavelength every step of the way.

He told me to stop by his villa the next day to review and sign the contracts and that his PA would find me an apartment in San Marino close to the club which they would pay for for 3 months until I found my own place, they would also lease me a small car until I bought my own.

After I had arrived in San Marino and met the players, had the tour, met the officials etc. I had a meeting with the San Marino FA, they shared Danilo's views of uniting the National Team and the club. Believe it or not the long term vision was to see San Marino qualify for a World Cup and they wanted me to achieve it! I took the job without thinking and that night it dawned on me just what I had let myself into! I had agreed to a long term plan of getting the club side to Serie A and the National Team to a World Cup. Were Danilo and I as mad as eachother?!

My first day in the office
I found agents contact details on the English FA website and began ringing around, I had seen the players train in the morning and the Chairman shared my view that we needed reinforcements. I had a modest 45k transfer budget but alot of wiggle room with the wages, I rang agent after agent...I needed a bargain or two! I was formulating a shortlist.

I also cancelled the National Team's friendly against Armenia. I didnt fancy playing a team ranked 150+ places higher for my first game and I didnt see how it would benefit the team. I finally managed to get in contact with the manager of Mauritius. We agreed on a friendly at their place...our FA's sorted the rest.

Just when I thought my first day was over...
I got a phonecall from a Sky Sports reporter. They wanted to run a story on the 26 year old Englishman who had just agreed to attempt the impossible...

SS - You have taken on a huge task, do you even speak Italian? Do you know about San Marino? Are you crazy?

Me - Of course, San Marino is my favourite restaurant, the Souvlaki is superb! But all joking aside, my knowledge of San Marino is quite small but as with the language its another thing I will learn quickly and I cant wait.

SS - Any players you are hoping to bring in?

Me - There are a few Im interested in but its early days. I need a couple of experienced heads, preferably lads who have played at a high level in the past. Most of all I want players who believe in what we are trying to achieve here.

SS - And what is that?

Me - We want to be in Serie A by 2019 and have the National Team giving World Cup qualification a good go by 2024 for the 2026 world cup.

SS - Can it be done?

Me - I believe so. This is a club on a high, they have just won a Promotion and even though I have only been here a short while, you can see the pride and joy that everyone has in being a part of this club and the National team. Its a challenge, i cant pretend it isnt. Alot of managers wouldnt touch this role with a barge pole but its exactly the type of thing I wanted, a long term strategy where I can help to build something. The national team is in need of change, the older players are leaving the scene and younger players need to come through, now is the time. Its a great opportunity for every footballer in San Marino.

Pre-Season update to follow...

Pre-Season Update

So with the budget I had I managed to sign some players as you can see below:

View attachment 466858

Partouche will be my main threat down the right hand side.
Cutrupi will be a back up centre half.
Adalsteinsson is a player I first had on FM about 5 years ago. Hes now 32 and should add the experience I need.
Thornton started out at Sunderland and is still only 29. He will hopefully be the creative force.
Chara will be starting centre back
Galan is only 22 and will be my starting left back.
Castelli is a veteran goalkeeper.
Arrieta is an experienced right back. He will be my captain.
Vandenbergh is a 6th 5in centre half. Hoping he can make an impact at both ends of the pitch.
Pericard is another who has played in England. He will be 2nd choice striker to Coda.
Hewitt is a young striker from QPR, should give us another option.
Johansen was a gamble. His attributes were masked and I couldnt scout him but I needed a left winger. Signed him up and he will probably be 2nd choice to Poletti.

Confident that I had a good enough squad I told the Chairman that we were all set for the season.

View attachment 466859

We were very unlucky to lose in the Italian Cup and I took alot of heart from that game. Our friendlies were a mixed bag but it was nice to see Coda and Pericard scoring a couple of goals each.

First game of the season was always going to be tough one away from home. We kept it 0-0 till half time and then just caved. Very disappointing.
I had high hopes for the second match, we opted for a more attacking formation. A fantastic strike by Partouche and we twice came from behind but conceded from an 88th minute corner to lose 3-2.

A disappointing start, our defence is very leaky and needs to be addressed quickly. Danilo told me not to worry, its a new squad in a new league and we will inevitably take time to adjust.

NATIONAL TEAM:

Mauritius 1 - 0 San Marino

Another disappointment, this time at International level. I could accept a 1-0 defeat if we had played well but we lacked creativity and Mauritius had 2 goals disallowed. Palazzi is going to be a key player for the NT for the next 5-7 years playing as an anchorman.

Next up...Poland and Moldova.

Last edited:
FIRST HALF OF THE FIRST SEASON DONE

So the first half of season one is complete and we are now at Christmas. I will update next time with January signings etc.

After a poor start to the season, a 3-0 win over Reggiana (revenge for the cup defeat) kickstarted our season and since that we have only lost 2 of our last 11 games. Vincent Pericard has been immense upfront and has 8 goals in 13 appearances. Davide Poletti has also been a class act with 5 goals and 6 assists in 14 games. As you can see from the picture below, everyone has chipped in with a goal or two and we look a dangerous team going forward. We are sitting 5th in the table at the break although at the time of writing a couple teams have a game in hand but either way we are touching the playoffs and definitely in with a shout of a shock promotion.

View attachment 466713

NATIONAL TEAM

As expected it hasnt been great. A 3-0 defeat to Poland wasnt too bad and we managed to score in a 2-1 defeat to Moldova. A 1-0 defeat to Montenegro wasnt bad at all and we had a chance to score in the final 10 minutes but for a top save from their keeper.
England absolutely dominated us as we were reminded of just how poor we were. Maybe the players we still tired from the effort they put in against Montenegro just 4 days previous.

Turks & Caicos Islands 1 - 2 San Marino
An away win! We were 1-0 down before Andy Selva got his 9th international goal with an excellent finish. Mirko Palazzi sealed the win with a rocket of a shot from 30 yards out that went in off the bar. Our opponents were ranked 6 places higher than us (202nd in the world) so to beat them away from home was a very pleasing result.

We moved up 2 places in the world rankings to 206th! We start 2013 with a home match against Barbados who are ranked 163rd. That will be a real test.

View attachment 466712

Last edited:

Season 1 summary

Transfers for the 2nd half of the season:

View attachment 466279

Caraux ended up being my first team keeper due to Castelli being truly woeful early on.
Boukie is a youngster from Chad, he will go into the youth team.
Martinozzi is a young Italian striker for the youth team.
Nesset was another Norweigen risk, he was only signed on a 6 month deal but it didnt work out and he was released early.
Schurpf is a young winger from Basel, high hopes for him.
Cremers is my back up keeper.
Magnusson came on loan and did well at centre half.

The second half of the season was woeful. Our inability to see a game out and the amount of goals conceded in the last 10 minutes of games was embarrassing. On the last day of the season we played Feralpi Salo who were bottom of the table...we were 2nd bottom. We needed a draw to stay up...an early penalty and a long range strike gave us a 2-0 win which meant we went into the relegation playout.
To be fair to the players they stepped up to the mark in the playout and showed that they are capable to keep us in the division by the skin of our teeth after being 5th in the table at Christmas!!

View attachment 466274

Steven Vandenbergh was awarded player of the season, however my personal choice would have gone to Vincent Pericard as it was his goals who kept us up and he even got both assists on the last day of the season. My midfield 3 of Pacciardi, Lunardini and Thornton were all solid. Pacciardi was released in the summer and Lunardini took a paycut from 3.6k per week to 2k per week. Adalsteinsson also agreed a paycut from 1.3k per week to 550 per week to stay on for another year. Christian Arrieta was released too and we will look for a new right back.
In the Summer we will need new players, the inconsistency was unacceptable and we are a long way off promotion to Serie B. Hoping we can get one more prolific season from Vincent Pericard who ended with 15 goals for us.

Best Eleven:

View attachment 466273

National Team

The last you heard we had just beaten the Turks and Caicos Islands. Here is how it went after that:

View attachment 466271

A very good draw against a tough Barbados side featuring Emmerson Boyce, Paul Ifill and Tom Soares. A late Marani strike got us a draw against a team ranked 40 places higher than us. After the game Andy Selva retired from football, I guess he felt 60 caps and 10 goals was a good place to finish, plus he couldnt find a club. Disappointing as he still had something to offer and his finishing was very good.

Two tough away games against Ukraine and Poland went as expected and we suffered against Ukraine with a number of injuries although Mirko Palazzi always plays a good game.

Away to the Seychelles who were ranked just a few places above us was a chance for a win and we got it! An early Matteo Vitaioli goal was enough to see us through as he cemented his place as the new Andy Selva with his 2nd goal in his last 4 games for me.

We have moved up to rank 202nd in the world now ahead of the likes of Andorra and the Seychelles. Our next game is against Somalia who are the new lowest rank team in the world...I used to know how that felt ;)

Season 2 - Pre-Season Update

Just finished pre-season so thought Id give an update. For the new season the board have asked me to avoid relegation, but I really want to push on this year and try and make the playoffs. That would mean a big turnaround from last season! The board gave me no transfer budget and also lowered the wage budget so it was going to be tough. The paycuts that Lunardini and Adalsteinsson took helped to cover some of the gap but alot of young players who are not good enough had to leave.

View attachment 465849

Andreas Johansen was on too much for how much game time he would get so I offloaded him. Other first team squad players from last season that left were: Arrieta, Pacciardi, Castelli, Del Sole, Migani and Villanova. The fact that alot of the youth players were on 325 per week really helped when we offloaded them. As for the transfers in:

(Top 4 transfers were previously co-owned, we only kept Casolla and Crivello, Villanova left and Ferrari is on the transfer list.)
Siberie is an experienced winger to challenge Poletti
Claessens is a 24 year old striker who I got on a modest wage of 425 per week.
Angelelli is a 16 year old with a very bright future, he will have a year in the youth team.
Alcibiade and Bouy are both very talented players on loan from Juve and should feature heavily.
Almerares is a striker who has previously played for Basel, his experience should be valuable.
Sabaly is our new right back. He is only 20 and was released by PSG.
Bonifacio is a 24 year old centre midfielder who is the replacement for Pacciardi. I know Bonifacio from a few FM's ago, glad to have him on this save.

For pre-season training I put alot of emphasis on teamwork. The likes of Sean Thornton, Maxime Partouche and Xabier Galan have been here for a year now so Im expecting bigger seasons from them. Pascal Schurpf needs to fill his potential and Im hoping the Juventus lads can jump right in.

View attachment 465845

A good pre-season and it was nice to get through the group stage of the Serie C cup, hopefully it will generate us some more much needed cash. Nice to see a few of the new signings getting goals in pre-season too.

NATIONAL TEAM

Will update next time...

National Team Update:

View attachment 465661

A disappointing defeat to the lowest ranked country in the world. We didnt even get anything going against Somalia and it was the worst I have seen us play.

Moldova at Home was the one qualifying game where I felt if we played at our best we could get a point. Well...we played even better than that, the lads were superb and Vitaioli is starting to be the main man along with Palazzi. A great win which shot us up to 182nd in the world, our best yet!

The England and Montenegro games were disappointing although we did open the scoring against Montenegro.

We put up a good fight against Ukraine and it was 1-0 until they scored in the 89th minute. Probably our most commendable performance of the qualifying apart from the Moldova win.

So thats our qualification campaign over. We ended with 3 points which is more than I had hoped for. I thought we would be lucky to get one point but we got 3 and held Montenegro to 1-0 and Ukraine to 2-0 at home.

The first year in charge has seen 3 wins over Moldova, Seychelles and Turks & Caicos Islands and a draw against Barbados.

Next up...South Sudan and Pakistan...both away. I will be hoping we can win at least one of those games.

Ranking graph:

View attachment 465652

Great work so far, I tried a San Marino career but narrowly avoided relegation, then was ptomoted next season. You can do it!

Season 2 - Mid season review

So halfway through my second season and its a familiar situation, almost a carbon copy of last season! We have not lost many games but not won too many either. Too many draws have seen us get to Christmas in 6th place.

View attachment 465266

Maxime Partouche has took almost a season and a half to show his best football but that is finally happening with 6 goals in his last 5 games from the right wing. Pericard missed about 6 weeks with injury but is finally back in the team. A devastating 6-2 defeat to Cuneo was followed up with a solid point away at Novara. Ouasim Bouy has been injured for the last 2 months, but 33 year old Baldur Adalsteinsson has filled his boots well and picked up a few assists and Man of the Match performances.

View attachment 465265

As you can see from the table we have drawn more games than anyone else in the league. Being 11 points off 1st I think our only shot at promotion is via the playoffs, but we need to turn more of those draws into wins!

doing a very good job esp with the NT! Looks like you're getting the best out of Vitaioli!

Getting a win early on with the NT is great, think the best I managed in the first two seasons were a couple of draws. Good luck in the 2nd half of the season and I hope you go up. Getting to Serie A as soon as possible is imperative.

Thanks guys! The NT is quite pleasing so far. Stepping it up in 2014 with friendlies against Faroe Islands, Luxembourg and Indonesia as I look to try and play some younger players. Vanucchi is retiring at the end of the season so I need a new left back and I think its time we look to some younger players who can have a good 8-10 years with the NT. Im hoping if I dont change the squad about too much then I can get good chemistry and pick up the odd good result here and there before I start getting some top regens through.

Also...and I dont know if this is right, but I am hoping that if I can get San Marino into say the top 150 in the world or even the top 100, then maybe the game will start to make better regens for us at other clubs rather than just mine while I work on getting to Serie A.

doing well, the club team have an ability to self-destruct, also Castelli was recommended to me on my save, and he is truly the worst keeper I've seen on the game. Doing well with the NT also, and you must be a genius, to get pericard scoring

I think Castelli got 7 games for me before I signed Caraux for nothing because Castelli was THAT bad! Got rid of Castelli at the end of season 1 and even though Caraux wasnt great, he is getting better now.

Pericard has been very important but has just broken his ankle and is out for the rest of the season after just recovering from 6 weeks out! His contract expires then so not sure what Ill do.

The self-destruct thing is a nightmare, our ability to throw a lead away in the last 10 minutes is second to none!

Season 2 - Second half of season update

Below are my transfers. No players were brought into the club in January but a couple left in a bid to reduce the wage bill a bit and sign some players on pre-contracts for next season.

View attachment 465053

You can see alot of youth players left and at the end of the season I released Adalsteinsson, Pelagatti, Almerares and Pericard as their contracts were all expiring.

View attachment 465052

Absolutely gutted! We made the playoffs and then lost to Cittadella who we had beaten just a couple of weeks earlier. We played Cuneo on the last day of the season and had to win to finish in the playoffs. A draw would have put us equal points with Treviso who would have finished above us. A second half goal from Partouche who was our top scorer for the season secured our place in the playoffs but we offered very little against Cittadella.
The players just look bereft of ideas and we created very little. Apart from that, the end to the season was impressive with 4 comprehensive wins. The run of 5 games without a goal was a worry as Pericard missed the whole of the second half of the season with a broken ankle.

View attachment 465049

Our defense was much better this season, Caraux is developing into a good goalkeeper but missed the playoffs through injury. Despite the disappointment of missing out on promotion, its been a successful season.

View attachment 465048

I came third in manager of the season and Vandenbergh and Partouche were both named in the division team of the season. Vandenbergh was named play of the season for us again and above is our team of the season.

Adalsteinsson did very well considering he was 34 come the end of the season. Partouche was brilliant half the time but occasionally ordinary. A new striker will be needed for next season as Coda was our top scoring striker with 7 goals. Thornton and Lunardini will be here again next season with Thornton taking a paycut to sign for an extra year.

National team update soon...