What to do against 3 striker formations?

SLB4everPT

Reaction score
Every time I go against a team with 3 strikers up front I seem to get anhilated, no matter the team I go against, I just got destroyed 6-2 by Vitesse, and it wasn't over yet, I just got so fed up with my defenders getting the run around by their ****** strikers, that I rage quitted, and I'm not even the slight bit ashamed by that. No matter what I try I just can't stop them, closing them down, put 3 central defenders, getting a DM to mark a striker, getting all strikers marked...

Can anybody share some wisdom on how to be more effective at stopping this god tactic?

Every time I go against a team with 3 strikers up front I seem to get anhilated, no matter the team I go against, I just got destroyed 6-2 by Vitesse, and it wasn't over yet, I just got so fed up with my defenders getting the run around by their ****** strikers, that I rage quitted, and I'm not even the slight bit ashamed by that. No matter what I try I just can't stop them, closing them down, put 3 central defenders, getting a DM to mark a striker, getting all strikers marked...

Can anybody share some wisdom on how to be more effective at stopping this god tactic?
Next time, watch the action closely to try and pinpoint WHY what you did wasn't working. You'd be amazed at how easy it is. Doing that will help you formulate a better plan.

Simply they just keep getting away from my defenders. If I play with my normal 4-2-3-1, my CB are overwhelmed by their extra striker, the most defending CM doesn't help out at all, neither do the FB, and if I get 3 CBs, one for each, they keep letting their supposed-to-be-marked strikers go without chasing them or trying to close down gaps in the backline.

They've taken a player out of midfield and their 3 strikers are still getting service?

I think you're playing right into their hands by focusing on the 3 up-front. Cut off their supply. Starve their midfield and make sure they're 3 men down when you're transiting into attack.

Simply they just keep getting away from my defenders. If I play with my normal 4-2-3-1, my CB are overwhelmed by their extra striker, the most defending CM doesn't help out at all, neither do the FB, and if I get 3 CBs, one for each, they keep letting their supposed-to-be-marked strikers go without chasing them or trying to close down gaps in the backline.
It depends how you set them all up. You cannot expect a CM-D (I assume) to mark a striker? What happens to their midfield 3 then? If you're going to expect a fullback to do it, you're going to have to be quite defensive/narrow. It sounds like you're just expecting miracles.

I wouldn't do anything special against any kind of opponent. But I would make sure my own approach isn't somehow flawed. If you setup a tactic that fits your players, and is tactically sensible, you will win against all except teams just like yours, but probably with better players. So, don't look at their setup, look what you did wrong with yours.

Thing is, they usually can create chances with only the 3 strikers, their midfield is there for winning 2nd balls, when my defender clear one out or intercept a pass, but usually the 3 strikers just completly humiliate my defenders, sure they aren't Hummels or Ramos or Varane, but their strikers aren't exactly Suarez, Aguero and Benzema either.

In this particular instance, I play Benfica, 4-2-3-1, my back four are Maxi Pereira, Luisão, Lisandro Lopez and Eliseu, they aren't world class, but they certanly better than Vitesse's Forwards, the only one I know is Bertrand Traoré which is a kid loaned from Chelsea. They play a 3-4-3, and their front 3 consist on a Complete Forward on the left (Traoré), a F9 (or DLP) in the centre, and a TM or AF on the right. This would make it more like a 3-4-1-2 on their transition phase. I tried having a DM in front of the Centre backs, to stop the Middle Striker from having a role in creating in transition, to no avail.

Now I know it isn't about my team being *****, it IS my 3rd match of the pre-season, though, so they aren't really fluid tactic-wise. But this isn't about that (I think), it is about the advantage 3 strikers formations have against my teams in particular. I don't know what to do, usually when I go up a team with 3 strikers it becomes a goal fest, because my wings are usually very strong and they take advantage of their lack of wingers to overload the full backs or wing backs or, in this case, wide mids. The problem is their front 3 usually score 4 goals between themselves, most times from balls bombed forward, or from plays involving only the strikers. I just can't stop them, I just hope my team scores more goal than they are going to score on my team, it's my only hope.

It's not about lacking that little bit of familiarity. It's all guess work because you've given very, very little info about your own setup. From the sounds of it, it sounds like you're losing shape too easily. If you went as far as having 3 defenders and a DM (no roles/duties! so no idea) then that's fine, but how did you stop the midfield then?

They've taken a player out of midfield and their 3 strikers are still getting service?
o.png

I think you're playing right into their hands by focusing on the 3 up-front. Cut off their supply. Starve their midfield and make sure they're 3 men down when you're transiting into attack.

o.png

They service themselves, the midfield rarely contributes to the play other than passing to one of the front 3 and let them handle the rest of the play on our half.

They service themselves, the midfield rarely contributes to the play other than passing to one of the front 3 and let them handle the rest of the play on our half.
I don't believe this. If you're taking a DM to mark one of their strikers, they have a flat 3 up against 1 CM and 1 AMC of yours. They'd dominate the midfield and wait for a striker to get open.

Sorry but it is what happens, and that is why I find this 3 striker formations utter bullshit, they single handedly win games, no matter what team I manage, Plymouth Argyle, Stoke City, Benfica, Real Madrid, doesn't matter, I can't stop them. If I'd try to put a tactic like this with 3 strikers, I wouldn't win a game to save my life, but the AI can, to devastating effects against me.

Everyone is pointing at the midfield for a reason. Their midfield will have all the time in the world to wait for a striker to get open. Added to that, I'm sure you're not keeping shape at the back either.

Target that. Stop the supply from those CM's and see if it reduces their effectiveness.
Also, 3 men are picking up the ball in their own half and beating you... are you sure it's the 3 strikers that are the problem? I'd be on your side if it was a 3 man move outside your box but if they're breaking from inside their own half, it just sounds like a poor defensive system that's easy to exploit on the counter.

If they use 3 strikers, that means that they are short on midfield. Try applying high pressing by marking all of their midfielders and pressure their defenders so they can be more prone to making mistakes.

When you attack, try using slower tempo and build your attacks carefully and don't force it. This will help you make less mistakes that can lead the opponent for effective counter attack.

I've already stated that they play 3-4-3, they've taken out a defender, not a midfield, but I'm not worried by them, at least not my main concern, as the front 3 can destroy me by themselves.