What were your big mistakes?

• Thread starter Thread starter emman23
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 5K

emman23

Reaction score
Can't find a thread for this, so I created one. I play wigan now in 2023

I'll start. My biggest would probably Buying Lewandowski for 80m and selling for 50m, he was awful in the 1st season, he just got 15 goals for 50 games (7.10 avg).. In the 2nd season, he almost double his production, 28 goals in 46 matches (7.44 avg).. In the two seasons, though he is just a DLF(S), i still dont get what i want to him, he only have like 20 assists in two seasons.

I was so fed up, so right after the 1st game (he was MOTM, 2 goals) in the 3rd season, i sold him to RM for 50m.. Then he just went freaking nuts, in 3 seasons in RM, he was scoring 40 goals in all competition. Avg like 8.10+ ...scumbag lewandowski..LOL...

Also, i had a 165m english poacher, he was 5 star, bought him for 3m, didnt play him as i have 2 great strikers, only play one. I loaned him out the 1st season, then sell him for 50m the next to RM(yeah, i help RM a lot in this game)..he then scores 30+ a season... Also, i tried fmscout (1st time), to see who what fmscout can do, and i saw this poachers potential ability was 199..****..and he got consistency and important match 15+.. i was trying to buy him back, but RM wants 200m..LOL

On my current Spurs save I got too cocky after going through my first season unbeaten in the EPL.

I sold a bunch of my established back-up and rotation players like Chadli, Lennon, Paulinho and Dawson and planned on relying on young prospects to pad out my squad.

Now four games into the season an injury crisis has taken out 4 out of my 5 first choice midfield (who were all ever presents for me last season) and I've already lost two league games.

Any injury to Sandro and I'm screwed.

Mine was buying goalkeeper named Aleksandar Ivanov to Lokomotiv Plovdiv. He had 6 saves in whole season (conceded 49 goals)

Selling Lewandowski has to be my biggest mistake.

Else letting my computer be turned on, with an unsaved FM save.
My wife decided to turn the computer off, and burn the save :( (Guess i learned my leason there.)
So lost ½ a season, and forgot who i brought in as new players while stressing out @ work.

Giving a 28 year old a 5 year contract on 150k PW , 2 months after he got the contract he got injured for like 7 months, he stats dropped massively and he was never the same after that, i couldn't sell him.

On my current Spurs save I got too cocky after going through my first season unbeaten in the EPL.

I sold a bunch of my established back-up and rotation players like Chadli, Lennon, Paulinho and Dawson and planned on relying on young prospects to pad out my squad.

Now four games into the season an injury crisis has taken out 4 out of my 5 first choice midfield (who were all ever presents for me last season) and I've already lost two league games.

Balance is the name of the game with EVERYTHING in FM13.

I did the same with Fiorentina at the start of my fourth season. Sold my two star attackers (M. Gomez and G. Rossi) plus some others but:

I already had a big squad able to take the multitude of matches I have to play each season (Ive downloaded an extra international cup competition),

all my young players had already been coached for at least a season with the same tactics as the first team

AND I only bought 2 new players in (Doria and Rodrigo) who I used very sparingly at the start of the season.

So I didnt have to train tactics pre season, I only trained team cohesion for a very sort time and instead gave my team ball control training. The result was that I ve won all matches Ive played so far in all comps (bar the euro super cup cos stupidly I chose to test a new tactic there) and, among others its now November and Im well in front at the top (this after missing on the league in the first season).

On stupidity:

Despite knowing exactly what to do in such circumstances I got careless and lazy in my third season with FIORE I was winning at home vs ATALANTA 2-0 and 3-1 and let my team lose 4-3 in the end. Considering I lost the league by 2 points ...

On the same point once with AS MONACO I was beating a team much worse than me (AUXERRE I think) 4-0 and I found a way to lose 6-4.

But the stupidest thing I occasionally do is forget to offer players new contracts on time so I end up losing them or paying them too much in order to keep them.

Selling Giroud at the start of my 2nd season with Arsenal.

He had been injured alot in the 1st season, and Falcao was listed at £27m. I offered £10m + Giroud + Rosicky + Santos and they accepted. Falcao was pretty good for me in the 3 seasons since I got him, but Giroud has been miles better. Although to be fair, I have just gone back to the save and now Falcao is finally hitting form - 18 goals in 14 matches this seasons :D

View attachment 474500View attachment 474499

MANUMAD - it's not that I sold my stars. My first team remained pretty much the same and I only bought two players, Zouma and El Sharraway, of which only El S came into my first team (and is a vast improvemt on Fischer, Lennon or Chadli who had played AML for me at various points in the first season).

It's that 4 or out of my 5 first choice midfielders are injured for two months!

If I even had one of them back I reckon I'd be ok.

Signing Schurrle for £43M. What a waste of money he was. Managed to sell him for £26M to Barca though. But if his form was anything he was like for me, even that was too much!

MANUMAD - it's not that I sold my stars. My first team remained pretty much the same and I only bought two players, Zouma and El Sharraway, of which only El S came into my first team (and is a vast improvemt on Fischer, Lennon or Chadli who had played AML for me at various points in the first season).

It's that 4 or out of my 5 first choice midfielders are injured for two months!

If I even had one of them back I reckon I'd be ok.

So you didnt make a mistake!

Made the mistake of forgetting to change my backup keeper between the FA cup game and the capital one cup final. Lost due to the keeper fumbling the ball. Won't make that mistake again.

Recent Mistake, i have this target regen(valued at 28m, 4.5 stars) from SLB, a DM, but going to convert him to a CD, perfect for a BPD. SLB want 50m for him, i only want to spend 40m, so i unsettle him..

After being unsettled, he requested a transfer for 42m.. so I offered that, he wants 170k aweek, i was able to lowered it to 135k.. I was so happy...

After a couple days, Arsenal also offered 42m. Then after a week, the regen chose arsenal... I was shocked, i look at what wage arsenal offered, it was 230k... almost 100k more than what i offered. Also, i dont want to offer that kind of money.

I should've not unsettled him... Stupid

Currently in December 2014 with United. Chelsea is 14th place, still have Mourinho, and they have transfer listed Lamela and Lukaku for a combined 30m!! Problem is I have Van Persie and Rooney along with the best regen I have ever bought, 19 yo from South Korea, 19 finishing along with most attributes over 13-14 and Higuain is available on a free in 13 days (H). I also have Bale, Ox, Fisher, Tello, Deolefeu. Oh and most important no money, 2.5 m because I spent 27m straight up on Azpilicueta the sumer before. Looks like my love for Lamela, saw him debut With River Plate and have followed his career ever since hoping he will one day return, might not be enough to lure him to United.

The two main mistakes that I constantly make are to get distracted right after halftime and then not coming back to the match until its over and where lost.
The other mistake is being to loyal and playing players like monk, Tate, Britton etc well after I should have sold them.

Dont know if it was my fault, but when saving the game yesterday, power went out, and my UPS didnt work for some reason... file was corrupted, i have back up which is 1 1/2 month, with bunch of games to be played again (8 wins, 1 draw 1 lose)...stupid Philippines electricity

Think my main fault is trying to always get the bargain deals. I am truly addicted to them to the point where if I see a quality player for a cheap price I feel like I HAVE to get him lol. Ends up being a waste of money sometimes and just ****** me off and I can never sell them!

Also most stupid thing I've ever done on this FM is having 2 games to go, top of the table with Liverpool in the second season by 2 points, two games left against Stoke and Burnley.. Play a little less than full strength side against Stoke and lose the game 2-1 and lose the title.. not cool

Selling Jordan Rhodes to Newcastle for £23 Million and not bringing in a suitable replacement #gutted

Definitely been there and done that xD

Not saving after beating Celtic 2-1 at home with a patched up team, really lost enthusiasm now.

Back