Harryy

Reaction score
The question is as simple as the title. What tactic is successful in 14.2? My Christmas has been ruined by this patch as I can't seem to win. I just want to enjoy the game again. In my opinion they have made it too complex to enjoy the game.

I agree, they have ruined the game. It's just not fun anymore.

I'm having a blast with it, update bedamned. I'm using a 4-1-2-2-1 with Defensive Wingers and F9 striker, and the football is quite excellent.

Use Callamitys 4141. I promise itll make your xmas better its very successful

HMB2000, mikeruttz, what teams are you using?

HMB2000, mikeruttz, what teams are you using?
I started with Tottenham to get a sense of the changes from FM 13, then switched to a Southampton save that was very successful, but grew stale after 3 seasons. I've just started a Championship save with Yeovil Town. Wow, talk about tough sledding. But I'm managing to keep them mid-table 2/3 through the first season, we have a ways to go before promotion. 9000 seat stadium, terrible facilities...but it's a challenge and I like a challenge!

I made my own version of Dutch Total football, took me about 2-3mins to throw together. Won Eredivise with Ajax. Top of league by 20 points. Not that impressive, but before I began using the tactic I had lost 3 and drawn 2 games league games with my keeper out injured. 4-3-2-1. Scored 86 goals in 34 matches, sadly I conceded 31 aswell

I made my own version of Dutch Total football, took me about 2-3mins to throw together. Won Eredivise with Ajax. Top of league by 20 points. Not that impressive, but before I began using the tactic I had lost 3 and drawn 2 games league games with my keeper out injured. 4-3-2-1. Scored 86 goals in 34 matches, sadly I conceded 31 aswell
Upload you're tactic please

I dont like to Upload before I test fully, besides I've only used it for one season with Ajax and unlike most people uploading recently, I dont think 1 season or less is reason to justify a tactic.

The lay out was simply, sweeper keeper (D). 2 limited centrebacks (C), 2 Support wingbacks, 2 box to box mids either side of an advanced playmaker (attack). Out wide I had two inside forwards and up front a poacher. Bojan on the right, Fisher on the left, Darwin Quintero up front. Quintero scored 26 goals, Fisher scored 22 and Bojan had 21.

Just give your tactic time, it took me till Feb to get my tactics fluid, thats when I started winning 4-0's and 3-0's regularly. Still need to fix my defence

HMB2000, where can I find this tactic?
The one I use is by FuSSination and can be found here: [FM 14.1.4] ? ? ? MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSSination 1.0 || 4-1-2-2-1 ? ? ?

I've tweaked a couple of things: I don't Use Offside Trap, I prefer to Work Ball Into Box, and I've moved the left CM (Advanced Playmaker) to AMC offset with the F9 (moved to the right of center to line up with the BBM) and the BBM. It looks a little strange, but it works because of the angles of passing! And make sure to change the corners (attacking and defending) to whatever works for you.

I'm having a blast with it...

This is exactly how I feel, I like that patches "Screw up" tactics, otherwise it'd make the game incredibly dull, all you'd need is one good tactic for a whole year and voila. Done. Anyway, onto the focal point of the thread...

I've found, also as HMB said, False nine is an excellent role this year, despite it being against the preferred role of the strikers I was using it on. Scores me a lot of goals (between 25 in a bad season to 45 in a good season) from the striker. I've been using variations of Callamity's tactic, changing it from the 4-1-4-1 (which works just fine) to a 4-4-1-1 & 4-2(DM)-3(ML/MC/MR)-1 and all of these have worked very well. I believe that the player roles I use are something like:

RB/LB - Limited Full Backs - Defend - Sounds VERY defensive but, as I just said in another thread, it works for me extremely well with the rest of the defence. You have your bad games, as you would in real life in conceding, but I never find myself conceding 3+ goals for more than 2 games in a row before it settles back to around 0-1 a game.

CB1 - Limited Defender - Cover - I use different roles for both centre backs so I thought I'd go through both individually. The one on the left (purely out of habit) I use as a limited defender with cover on. This guy plays slightly deeper than any of the other players, it also means that you should NEVER use the offside trap if trying this. He hangs deep, sweeps up the long ball over the top and means you don't have to have Usain Bolt at the back. If you think about it, because he plays so deep, it seems illogical to the strikers (it seems at least) for them to play his line of defence, and so he hangs with the rest of the defenders. If he hangs with this centre back,he'll get caught offside 99% of the time, it's basically a 1 man offside trap after all. This means this defender doesn't need masses of pace but should be pretty good at positioning and mental stats in general. He's not too physical a guy (though heading might help, set pieces OP and all)

CB2 - Central Defender - Defend - This guy generally tends to sit with the full backs in terms of their line, sometimes pushing forwards a little bit more and plays slightly more central than the previous centre back. Whilst CB1 creates his own personal offside trap, it means this guy has to try and focus in on the two strikers, trying to aid the first centre back. This guy is kind of crucial but I've never really had any issues with sticking my 4th choice in this place, it seems most well-rounded defenders just play this position, role and mentality with complete ease.

DM - Various but mainly Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend - The defensive midfielder is a very critical role I think in FM14 and especially in this patch. If you're playing one, definitely stick him on defend and keep away from the defensive playmaker role. The DP should be avoided at all costs due to it giving the player far too much creative freedom and although this can be toned down in player instructions, he's still playing like a playmaker and leaving your defence prone. You may want to use this role if you have 2 DMs as you can have one be the wall and the other like the beautiful paint upon said wall, that much is up to you, but I'm never a fan of playmakers as far as football manager goes at least. Playing one DM I tend to play the BWM role because this is how I want my DM to play. With both defenders being given the task of defending (CB1) zonally and (CB2) possible 1-on-2 man marking, you want this guy to be there being solid and tanky. Physical stats for this guy should be probably more than either of the centre backs. Get the right guys playing here like I managed to and you'll have a solid defence.

CM1 - Box to Box - Support - I ADORE the box to box player. There's nothing I enjoy more on this game. You can keep your playmakers and your fancy Ozil type players, I'll take Yaya Toure any day of the calendar year. A box to box midfielder works excellently, especially in the 4-1-4-1. This is because you have such a big gap between your front man and your midfield in the middle. This would usually force a team into playing Stoke football, the long ball to a target man, but this b2b play will allow for counter attack football as well as a player with who should be there in terms of both attack and defence, the extra man always being what I miss when I try with the playmaker. This player needs to be very well rounded but essentially, natural fitness, pace, acceleration, passing and positioning are all key stats. There are more, but it would be quicker naming what he doesn't require.

CM2 - Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend - Another one?! You're very right. This tactic currently sounds like the master of the 0-0, it's far from that though, trust me! Having another man playing deep, helping the centre backs and the defensive midfielder (if you're playing one) is key to this tactic. If you're not playing with the DM I'm 80% sure this guy is the one that keeps your sheets clean for 90 minutes. With a DM, I still feel his pretty key. He's like your Ray Parlour (I'm writing too much so trying to get it done, poor analogy incoming) he's there, you know he's there because you've played him, but you always skim over him. He just gets the job done, in short. Take it from me, he's key.

RM/LM - Winger - Attack - This is where the good'n'dirty starts coming into play. Attacking wingers are what I've found are perfection in a small piece on 14.2. Playing them at LM/RM rather than RW/LW as I was previously makes so much difference. They have a small influence on defence, but when they do, counter attacks are more than likely. Not only this but they get forwards very nicely, score at least 10 a season for me, and assists like kings (15-25 I think is the usual range). There isn't much more to say. I don't tend to go for tanky wingers, more the technical Spanish-stereotype-type, but definitely very nice on this game.

AMC - Preferred Role - When I've used the AMC, I always go for their preferred role and their preferred mentality in that role. It just works, not much more to say.

ST - False Nine - Support - Very, very good on this 14.2, as I was remarking previously. Used them in 2 seasons, both times, 30+ goals. One of them was a target man by nature, by the end of the year preferred the F9 if I remember rightly, and had shoddy stats. In the Skrill South I think he picked up 1.5 goals a game and if he wasn't as injury prone as Owen Hargreaves would have been a 50 goal season. False Nine, quite simply put, is the way to go.

Mentality - Attacking - Counteracts most of the very defensiveness of the team, but to just the right degree in my eyes.
Fluidity (or whatever it's called) - Very Fluid - Purely because I was creating these off of Callamity's tactic.

I realise I've gone on quite a bit, and I do apologise, trust me, when I came to this thread, I expected far less than this :p I do hope it helps though, and if you want me to go through some tactics stuff I can attempt to sort something out :)

can you upload your version please HMB2000 ?
View attachment 440224
Here's the tactic I use. It's not the only tactic I use: I have a 4-1-4-1 I use for when my Attacking Midfielders are exhausted or injured. As the tactic name states, I'm playing as Yeovil Town in the English Championship (predicted to finish 24th out of 24 teams...9500 capacity stadium...no transfer budget....I like a challenge!) and so my player options are VERY limited. I've won 8 and drawn 2 of the games I've played so far using that tactic, though, which speaks well of it. Sometimes I play narrower and sit deeper against stronger teams, and start with Control mentality.

The important thing is use the shouts when you need to. Don't just plug-and-play as is in every situation, the shouts make a BIG DIFFERENCE.

I dont like to Upload before I test fully, besides I've only used it for one season with Ajax and unlike most people uploading recently, I dont think 1 season or less is reason to justify a tactic.

The lay out was simply, sweeper keeper (D). 2 limited centrebacks (C), 2 Support wingbacks, 2 box to box mids either side of an advanced playmaker (attack). Out wide I had two inside forwards and up front a poacher. Bojan on the right, Fisher on the left, Darwin Quintero up front. Quintero scored 26 goals, Fisher scored 22 and Bojan had 21.

Just give your tactic time, it took me till Feb to get my tactics fluid, thats when I started winning 4-0's and 3-0's regularly. Still need to fix my defence

Any chance you would upload now? maybe some screen shots also? i'm going to give this a try with ajax also but without team/player instructions im sure mine will suck balls lol, im not what you would call a tactical wizard :p

Thanks in advance:)