What's a good base score for a regen to start from?

aslaram

Banned
Reaction score
Have been doing extensive scouting and found a heck of a lot of 4*, 4.5* players, but looking at their attribute stats I'm not overly impressed. So, I was wondering what a good starting number would be for 14, 15 & 16 yr olds.
Example, a 14 year old fast striker, what should his stats be like at that age for the specific role stats? Pace, acceleration, off the ball, finishing, etc? Bare in mind this is for a potential future star.
Once I have an idea of their starting stats I'll be able to make a better judgement, because, like I say, I'm not that impressed by any of them yet!

Also, noticed a lot of players that have really good stats are said to be inconsistent, has anyone ever signed a player like that and had any joy with them? At the moment I'm staying away from them.

P.S. My scouts are 19+ CA & PA, so scout reports will be pretty accurate.

My strategy is like this:

1) If i find 15 year old 4* PA ability, general look at attributes, and if is he gifted on at least one category ( technical,mental, phyical)
2) is this gifted category is compatible with his playing position? if yes,
3) does he has the right personality and determination to develop in to right player? if yes,
4) I can train him focusing on his weak links, so that when he's grown up he would have developed his weak attrbutes and also slightly improved the gifted ones..

Determination. Technique. Passing
Stats (tackling marking for CB, passing creativity for PM... etc)
Personality.

O.K. more specifically, a pacey striker for example, let's say 14 yrs old. What should his starting stats be for pace, acceleration, off the ball, finishing, etc? 9? 11?
What about at 15 or 16, should it be around 13 for the areas mentioned?

I've played all the FM series before, but the players stats aren't particuarly great, so am thinking either my standards are just too unrealistic, or the players aren't coming through yet, even though they're 4.5* plus PA.

Central defenders will maybe have 12 tackling, marking and heading at 14, but no concentration, bravery, etc. Hence why I'm asking what a good base score is. I hope this is making more sense?

Last edited:
I use the formula of (decent attribute number) - (years the youngster has to develop). So if a youngster is sixteen and I'm looking to insert him into the senior team at about 21 or 22, his main attributes should be about 10, as I take an average growth of 1 per stat per year. Good prospects and good training will give you more, of course, but this should be taken as a minimum. If you've got a 19 year old with 10 in a key attribute, he usually won't get much farther than 14 or so by the time he's well in his twenties. Of course, if there's only one lacking attribute personal training can help this. Also, determination and work rate are important, but having a couple of good tutors in your team will allow you to train that too.

Thanks Draigh, that's more what I was after. So 1 point increase a year, that's really helpful. Cheers!

Thanks Draigh, that's more what I was after. So 1 point increase a year, that's really helpful. Cheers!

Don't take it for granted. If you're a rich club with great coaching you can achieve more, especially with tutoring and first team experience, so if you find someone with five-star potential and rubbish stats you may still want to get him.