What's the appeal of starting with a powerful team?

Michael Price

Reaction score
I've read a number of threads on these forums discussing which team people should choose and usually there follows a list of many of the biggest and richest clubs in the world.

I was wondering who else is like me and sort of feels like their game is over once they guide a team to a safe spot in the top league of whichever national competition they are playing in.

Having to shop for bargains and that joy of a massive windfall of 500k when some big team wants your player is far more appealing to me than having zillions to throw around from the start of the game. I think it's for this reason also that whenever I have accepted offers from other clubs the game in question has quickly fizzled out for me. It just feels like a new game where I'm starting with a lot of money.

My current game sees Forest Green Rovers (in the year 2032) competing in their tenth year in the premiership. I still have some of my original baddie players employed as coaches. :) We've won the league twice and (among a slew of other things) have two Champion's League cups to our name.

Managing a familiar team and players, creating tactics, playing with the best players..

I'm terrible at football manager so it makes me feel good about myself

Well the biggest teams I played with are Liverpool,At Madrid and Dortmund. Currently playing as Parma( high media predictions and poor squad first season). Also had Cultural Leonosa, Shamrock Rovers and Dover long term saves. Id never manage Barca, Real, City, Inter etc as it would be too easy. Players naturally tend to play as their favourite clubs more often than a big club. Just so happens most people support a big club

I have played 15 seasons with Man Utd on FM 2011. I like building squads and watching my youth players develop.

I don't really have an interest playing with a lesser team as it takes too much time and I started with Man Utd because I wanted a simple game I could jump in and play.

After 1 or 2 seasons no matter who i am it gets unrealistic and boring with the players that move clubs,

i tend to be teams with abit of money purely because on a management game you want to buy and improve your team and i find it also boring if you cannot change anything

I play with big clubs only for sanity breaks after playing with terrible squads. But I never last more than a season with a big squad.

the game isnt fun after about 3 years and i find it hard to play 3 years as it is. being a team im famillar with adds to the enjoyment and means i can go out and buy players that i think suit that team. i dont like buying regens, i like buying stars or actual up and coming stars like hazard/payet/pastore/cavani.

the funnest games for me are where you are mega rich but a team that hasnt achieved anything of note ever or in years(psg/malaga/city/anzhi) and u have to build a dynasty

I always take smaller teams and build them into world class teams. Biggest teams I've managed are probably Ajax, CSKA Moskva and Fulham. After a good 20 years of success I have bigger budgets than big clubs. It's much more enjoyable that way.

I'm not the best tactically so I need players that can win games with a half-decent tactic. I also enjoy buying players so I need money to do that. But I don't be the ridiculously good and wealthy apart from Man United because they are the team I support.

i allways play as my local club first (plymouth argyle) i do like the city saves simply because you can buy a "dream team" and its fun but only for a few seasons, but when i do argyle saves or lower league saves i can typically keep them going for about 7 or more seasons

For me its normally recognition of players, signings etc. Also you win a lot more which is a nice feeling :D

if i play with lower league teams i try to progress as far as i can with them, then move on and improve another team, repeat this until i join a team i can dominate the top league,europe, and the world with. every game i start i have the aim of improving my reputation and earning the chance to be offered the city job. even though i'm a die hard blue i'd never start with city because there simply is no challenge after spending billions and amassing the best squad on the game

Maybe because i am too lazy to manage such teams?

I am a student in Singapore anyway, so can't have too much time playing :(

Because my favorite team is Chelsea and i'm still trying to win that god **** Champions League.

im en route on my 14 season at Arsenal, and has been a huge success win trophies season by season. but the road to glory was not easy. despite have a good squad (more like GOD), i struggle at times to win some matches. i find it hard to win against Man Utd., Liverpool ( yes i said it right) , Leicester (no joke), Porto, Lyon, and Barca. mainly i find it hard to win in europe, if u have cup games in within, like fa and carling cup together with league.

i recently lost 6-3 to Liverpool at the start, and its hurting my team. i had to revolutionized everything, tactics and players positions. my board wont fire me tbh (only if i relegate bs), but was worried. i was worried that i might not reach european spot via league games for the first time. not mid way into the season,a dn in 10 place, and everyone opponent seems to be a struggle.

Biggest team I ever managed was Everton.

Never, ever spent more than 4m on a player (Willian) and it was because I was managin Arles-Avignon and my 3 strikers were ****** for months in the winter window.

Never used any of the usual suspects.

Best players I ever managed were Hugo Viana (Braga save, he was a god) and Thorgan Hazard, who I turned into a ****** awesome player for Arles-Avignon, and got him to play for France instead of Belgium (Doesn't get much better than that!). Hazard v Hazard on international matches was awesome!

Anyways, drifted a lil bit off topic here - I'm one to enjoy the lesser teams and building my squad from scratch by acquiring unknown jewels and free transfers. Playing with big teams and splashing around doesn't appeal to me.

Well I can understand your point of view. But it would take a long time to build a lesser team into a big team. Like you said, you're in 2032!! I'd be bored to death if I were managing a team for 21 years sice I usually give up aroun 2014 or 2015.

Also the point of the game (as in any game) is to have fun so whatever makes us happy. I'll probably manage Napoli in my next save :)

I prefer the same as you. I just can't see anything funny in starting in a big club. I love to start in the lower league clubs and work me up through the ranks. That's appealing. ;)

I always go to start a Lower league save and have these visions of me taking them to The premiership , Europe etc etc.. But the matter of the fact is I'm ****. I always finish mid table or in a relagation scrap. I play a couple of seasons..just floating, signing new better players and still getting nowhere.

I dont download the tactics off here because then I would be good. (Well I wouldnt but Id feel good.) So I tend to go for the big teams. Well Bigish. not the super powers like Barca, Real..More like Athletico Madrid, Aston Villa. Because then if I Do, do well I feel like ive acheived something where as if you start with Barca and win the league its sort of like ''Yeah I won the league, I was expected too.''

If I come say 5th with Aston Villa Id be happy, I also like to have a bit of money to manouver in the transfer market, as thats half the fun of the game. Buying players and selling.