What's the point in anything but a 3 ST tactic?

WalkerRFC

Reaction score
Hey,

I love my defensive counter attacking football. But it seems if you want to be world dominant you must utilise a 3 striker formation.

How handicapped really are, say, a 4-1-4-1; or, a 4-2-3-1? Am I wasting my time by studying the opposition and making alterations per game? Should I just bite the bullet and play with one of the many 3 striker tactics floating about?

It's a shame we have to have a match engine that unrealistically favours one uncommon tactic over another. It sort of serves to undermine the efforts of players.

Cheers.

i will answer that for you mate :) in past 2 years ive messed with tactics alot (test hundreds of them and was trying to create my own - even tried the craziest formations for trying to find another diablo - not succesfully) and i can tell you straight that 3striker formations is by far the most advanced/handicapped in last ant this year FM. Its simply AI can't handle them so good as any other formations/ strikers is very powerfull!

Its very good that you egzamine opponents and adjusting your tactics before the games.Even with 3 striker formation you still need to do that if you want maximum results :) thats football manager role is about!

so how 3 striker formation is better then the rest? for example i can tel that ive made a test with CELTIC and AJAX from season 1 with no major transfers (always start first season with transfers disabled) and Three seasons in a row with both teams i managed to get to the Champions league finals!!! Three time in a row! :)

conclusion:

for your rest of 6 month whats left to play untill FM19 and for maximum over achieve results i recommend to use these formations:

1.523 (3 strikers advanced forvards or 2 Advance forvards and 1 complete forward in the middle)
2. 433 (same as in nr1)
3.442 (wingers in Wide Miflieders *attack role)
4.442 (wingers in Advanced playmakers,wingers, or inside forward roles) use that for bigger teams couse its weak in defence

all this info i write as a recomendations for maximum overachieve performance! i mean if you take Real madrid so ofcourse you can win LA Liga with 1 striker formation, but if you looking for champions league spot with Burnley so you should keep my advice :)

good luck!

To be honest, I have never seen the AI play with one of the 3-striker formations so I don't let it worry me.

I am doing as well as I have always done on this game using my normal approach - see what players I have at the start and build a tactic around that. Doing OK with my 4--1-2-3 DM as usual.

I am not particularly interested in the game-breaking ME exploits either and I don't believe you are handicapping yourself by not using them.

There isn't anything wrong with any of the other formations. I've dominated with a 4231, 4411, 4141, 442 and 352.

I have one AI team using a 433 against me. They haven't won yet because it's just as easy to shut down as anything else. I'd argue it's easier, in fact.

Currently in my third my season with Newcastle , won the premier league first two seasons and unfortunately defeated in the champions league final second season using a combination of traditional 442/4411 formations, they both take a bit micro managing, I go into every game not knowing what to expect which for me is the thrill of the game

won the champions league with Craiova from Romania using 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 during the season

won the champions league with Craiova from Romania using 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 during the season

Could you share your tactic? I've created a 4-4-2 based on Simeone's principles and it's performing good, but winning the CL is something different LOL