What's the smallest team (league) you've won Champions League with?

Well, your asking peolpe to post the smallest team they have won it with, if someone has only won it one time, and that was with Man United, then they are the smallest team they have won it with. :S

Personally, as I never play outside of Italy/Spain/England, mine would have to be Los Rios, after 8 seasons.

No, I meant the smallest LEAGUE, hence why I put league in parentheses in the title. In retrospect I should have said what's the smallest league you've won the Champions League in, but I (mistakenly) thought people would understand what I meant. The reason I posted this was to see if anyone had won the Champions League with a team from a very small league. I'm sure many of the good managers here have taken teams from lower divisions to the top over long periods of time and won the Champions League, even some have probably done it over the course of a few seasons, but I'm talking about success in a small league.

This is a much different skill than taking a team through the divisions. Of course taking a League Two side up to the Prem and being successful requires a lot of skill, but it's a different type of skill to be consistently successful with a team from a small league. In that scenario, you have a very small budget (compared to the teams from big leagues), your players constantly want to leave your team for a bigger league whenever they get good, and in European competitions your team is much worse than the opposition.

This is a very unique challenge, but from what I've seen no one is really interested in doing it. It seems like no one manages a team out of the top 3 or 4 leagues. Most peoples' idea of a challenge is to take a team from the bottom leagues and move them up to the top (in England, Spain, or Italy). Of course this is fine, but I'm just surprised that no one seems interested in trying to be successful in a small league. In my opinion, winning the Champions League with Anderlecht and having consistent success in European competitions with them is even better than winning it with QPR or Oxford or whoever. And I was curious to see what the smallest league someone had been in and won the Champions League, which is why I posted the thread, most people didn't read the OP. Anyways, we should have a friendly competition to see who can win the Champions League with a team from the smallest league, and one for the Europa League.

Here were the people that correctly answered the OP:

Panathinaikos in third season and Stade de Reims 7 seasons in.

Dundee United. Twice.

Rangers (H)

Did it with Bordeaux pretty early in the game once, 2nd or 3rd season.

I didn''t win the Champions League but got put out at the Semi Final stage with FC Kobenhavn.

No-one!

Got to the final with FC Porto
Won the europa with Panithanikos

It's not Champions League but I won the Europa league with swedish team GAIS, in my 5th season. For champions league it's got to be Zaragoza

The winner here would either be CorvetteC3 or NiallZemin (in the event of a tie, ie winning it from the same league, you look at which team is smaller). So it depends on which league you consider lower, the Greek or the Scottish league. I'd say they're pretty close.

Anyways, I think ravenie's achievement is the most impressive at all...getting to the Semi Finals with a Danish team is very impressive. Which teams did you beat? What was your strategy/tactics? How many years into it? What players did you get and how'd you find them?

Sampaman's is also very impressive, winning the Europa League with Swedish team is a big accomplishment, and five seasons is pretty early in. How'd you do it?

Last edited:
i won the europa league with northampton.
never qualified for the champs league with them though.

i won the europa league with northampton.
never qualified for the champs league with them though.

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

LISTENNNNN!!

No, I meant the smallest LEAGUE, hence why I put league in parentheses in the title. In retrospect I should have said what's the smallest league you've won the Champions League in, but I (mistakenly) thought people would understand what I meant. The reason I posted this was to see if anyone had won the Champions League with a team from a very small league. I'm sure many of the good managers here have taken teams from lower divisions to the top over long periods of time and won the Champions League, even some have probably done it over the course of a few seasons, but I'm talking about success in a small league.

This is a much different skill than taking a team through the divisions. Of course taking a League Two side up to the Prem and being successful requires a lot of skill, but it's a different type of skill to be consistently successful with a team from a small league. In that scenario, you have a very small budget (compared to the teams from big leagues), your players constantly want to leave your team for a bigger league whenever they get good, and in European competitions your team is much worse than the opposition.

This is a very unique challenge, but from what I've seen no one is really interested in doing it. It seems like no one manages a team out of the top 3 or 4 leagues. Most peoples' idea of a challenge is to take a team from the bottom leagues and move them up to the top (in England, Spain, or Italy). Of course this is fine, but I'm just surprised that no one seems interested in trying to be successful in a small league. In my opinion, winning the Champions League with Anderlecht and having consistent success in European competitions with them is even better than winning it with QPR or Oxford or whoever. And I was curious to see what the smallest league someone had been in and won the Champions League, which is why I posted the thread, most people didn't read the OP. Anyways, we should have a friendly competition to see who can win the Champions League with a team from the smallest league, and one for the Europa League.

panathinaikos in the 2nd season and other 5 times until 2035

used to be obsessed with cheating and quitting whenever i lost so i managed to win it with watford so i don't really count that but i have won with man city without cheating and their pretty small :p

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

LISTENNNNN!!

oo right.. soz pal.

in that case celtic, 3rd season.

Well I nearly did it with Bath City after 8 seasons beat barca then lost to inter in the semi's.

Though twerton park is still at 13k seatting capacity.

I used alot of saves since this was my first game with FM 10

You show 'em pal, this is how it's done in bath, 'nuff said, peace out!

Tbh I've never won it. If your counting LMA manager then once. But on FM ive only ever won the Europa and that was with Man city. I'm No Jose..

Stjarnan from Iceland. Last three years as well. Although last time I won in PK over Chelsea. Only once have I played a tough team in the finals which was Real Madrid last year which I won 2-0.

you won CL with staines town? you must of cheated!