SaoPaolo90

Reaction score
I've been trying to build Schalke into a possession-heavy, passing team and I'm having some trouble. My tactic keeps the ball out of the net well, but I struggle to score and win games by decent margins. Here it is:View attachment 150215View attachment 150214

Anyone got any advice on how I can tweak this without ripping it out and starting over?

Control + Lower Tempo + retain Possession + Work Ball into box is probably your issue. You're basically asking your players to play patiently with a patient build up but also hold onto the ball but on top of that walk the ball into the back of the net. Maybe just remove Work Ball into box and see if that helps?

Control + Lower Tempo + retain Possession + Work Ball into box is probably your issue. You're basically asking your players to play patiently with a patient build up but also hold onto the ball but on top of that walk the ball into the back of the net. Maybe just remove Work Ball into box and see if that helps?

I'll give that a go, cheers.

Not sure working the ball into the box is the problem, as that's exactly the point of the tactic. I've taken off 'run at defence' and we seem to be better at creating chances. Putting them away is a completely different story, though.

You have gone overkill with your passing TIs. Choose either retain possession or shorter passing + pass out of defence. Control already has defenders on shorter passing so you may want to consider dropping play out of defence. You also have a regista so defenders will try to pass to him instead, this is another reason to drop play of out defence.

A low tempo game allows opposition time set up their defence so the chances you created could be difficult ones.

You don't really need to change your style of play but just varies it. If a team is defensively very organised, you may need to play quicker or/direct so that their defence has a shorter time to set up.

You don't really need to change your style of play but just varies it. If a team is defensively very organised, you may need to play quicker or/direct so that their defence has a shorter time to set up.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I took it on board and this evening managed to do this:

View attachment 150020

I've been trying to build Schalke into a possession-heavy, passing team and I'm having some trouble. My tactic keeps the ball out of the net well, but I struggle to score and win games by decent margins. Here it is:View attachment 1053364View attachment 1053365

Anyone got any advice on how I can tweak this without ripping it out and starting over?

Hey mate I found this post created by Cleon maybe some things in it you find useful - its very simular to your formation -
The art of possession football

I also created the tactic he illustrates in the article or as close as I could grasp it - In a private test it showed dominance against all oppositions lots of possession - lots of zero conceeding - according to some of the illustrations by Cleon it could be beautiful football utilizing patient and triangular play - personally I have not seen it in action just stats from it from my test.

Cheers

Jesaustralia - Cleon Possession (4141) - Download

Hey mate I found this post created by Cleon maybe some things in it you find useful - its very simular to your formation -
The art of possession football

I also created the tactic he illustrates in the article or as close as I could grasp it - In a private test it showed dominance against all oppositions lots of possession - lots of zero conceeding - according to some of the illustrations by Cleon it could be beautiful football utilizing patient and triangular play - personally I have not seen it in action just stats from it from my test.

Cheers

Jesaustralia - Cleon Possession (4141) - Download

Cheers for that mate, I'll give it a look.

Actually I've found that what works best for me is using two different passing tactics in different games, or in different phases of the same game, to manage how the opposition are set up. I tend to use this control tactic against teams who are at a similar level to, or slightly better than me. That usually sees me get a narrow win. If I'm sure I'm the better team then I use the same system but with high-tempo attacking. Some games I'll use a mix of the two, it's just about knowing when to go for the jugular and when to hold back.