What's your view on possession tactics.

• Thread starter Thread starter tomfmlfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3K

tomfmlfc

Reaction score
I've been going hammer and tongs recently to try and implement a high pressing,tempo possession tactic and am just basically looking for the community's opinion on tiki taka/possession styled tactics.

What formation is most suited for quality ball retention/possession :
  • 4-3-3
  • 4-2-3-1
  • 5-2-3
  • 3-4-3
  • 4-3-2-1
  • 4-6-0
  • 5-4-1
  • 4-4-2
Please specify on why you think it's the best formation cons & pros

What are the best player roles? I tend to go with :
  • Sweeper keeper
  • 2 Ball playing defenders
  • 2 Wing backs
  • 1 DLP
  • 1 Advanced DLP
  • 1 Advanced play maker
  • 2 Inside forwards
  • Trequartista
Once again please specify on your reason of choice.

What do you set your specific team instructions at and why?

Defensive line ?/20
Width ?/20
Tempo ?/20
Time wasting ?/20

1 click = 1/20

Do you favour tiki taka / possession styled tactics over other tactics? why/why not?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'll be honest with you I am baffled by everyone's fascination with possession tactics. The forum is filled with Barca/Swansea tactics/saves. In real life I find it boring to watch. The Spanish league is essentially becoming like the Scottish league in that Barca and Madrid dominate so they face no real challenges. The teams I have enjoyed watching over the years are the teams that play fast tempo football and attack rather than look to clock up passes. If 2 or 3 passes can do it why take 10 or 15?

I'll be honest with you I am baffled by everyone's fascination with possession tactics. The forum is filled with Barca/Swansea tactics/saves. In real life I find it boring to watch. The Spanish league is essentially becoming like the Scottish league in that Barca and Madrid dominate so they face no real challenges. The teams I have enjoyed watching over the years are the teams that play fast tempo football and attack rather than look to clock up passes. If 2 or 3 passes can do it why take 10 or 15?

Yeh I agree with you the Liverpool side from 85-90 was phenomenal fast attacking pass and move, However Barcelona are spectacular they make everyone look ordinary.

There aren't many attacking attractive teams anymore tbh, I love watching Swansea play personally.

Atletico Madrid are second, ahead of Real Madrid by 7 points.

Yeh I agree with you the Liverpool side from 85-90 was phenomenal fast attacking pass and move, However Barcelona are spectacular they make everyone look ordinary.

There aren't many attacking attractive teams anymore tbh, I love watching Swansea play personally.
the liverpool side back then was awesome. I'm not saying Barca are a bad side but they are hardly challenged in their domestic league. Would Messi be as effective week in/week out in the premier league? Before anyone says anything I am not saying he is not a good player. Not one of the greats though. Not yet anyway

eah the Liver

I would say to be considered a great you have to do it on the world stage. Ziddane and Maradona are by far the greatest players of all time. They proved it in numerous leagues and on the world stage by carrying their teams to and winning the final

yes, that's a valid point, but look what messi has done/won. At such a young age aswell. Zidane did make a pretty average team very good.

I'm not saying Messi isn't a good player but if I played in the Barca team even I'd win trophies. Maradona and Zidane carried club and international teams single handed at times

I'm not saying Messi isn't a good player but if I played in the Barca team even I'd win trophies. Maradona and Zidane carried club and international teams single handed at times

Messi has scored 91 goals in a calendar year, if that can't win you over I don't know what will.

Zidane and Maradona had class around them at international level and to be honest Argentina only have a good forward line in Messi's generation there defence , Midfield and Keeper are well below average compared to Spain, Germany etcetera.

In fairness to United, Argentina were **** when maradonna played. But 96? goals is unreal!!

yes, that's a valid point, but look what messi has done/won. At such a young age aswell. Zidane did make a pretty average team very good.

I really hate the 'Messi needs to win the WC to be a great' argument, what about Cruyff? Puskas? Di Stefano? Best? Platini? I wasn't even born when these guys were playing and even I know they were great.

I don't see how people can watch Messi and then reduce the argument to 'well he hasn't won the World Cup'.

anyway..

I've found that its better to strike a balance between possession and counter attacking this year (neither Barcelona or Borussia Dortmund).

I would say for formations you really have to consider what roles your players are suited for you can't force a player into position and not take his stats into account.

PPM's are important too.

Last edited:
I am saying Messi is a good player but great is overused to much in sport. His goalscoring record is amazing but as a player to watch I would say Maradona or Zidane were a different level. Their movement, their teamwork, their passing, their vision etc was just scary. Messi plays in a strong team that has no real challenges. Zidane in particular proved his talent in france then he moved to Italy and then to Spain and then he carried the french national team. Platini was a good player, shame he has turned into a complete **** with his running of the game. Anyway I think it is best to let this thread get back to original point about our points on possession football.

I am saying Messi is a good player but great is overused to much in sport. His goalscoring record is amazing but as a player to watch I would say Maradona or Zidane were a different level. Their movement, their teamwork, their passing, their vision etc was just scary. Messi plays in a strong team that has no real challenges. Zidane in particular proved his talent in france then he moved to Italy and then to Spain and then he carried the french national team. Platini was a good player, shame he has turned into a complete **** with his running of the game. Anyway I think it is best to let this thread get back to original point about our points on possession football.

Yeah, fair enough!

I think we all made our points! :P

I'd say its very difficult to be a great by 25 (so Messi is only on his way to greatness in my eyes) and the main point I wanted to make was that I thought it was wrong to look at the flaws in Messi's record (because all the greats have flaws, just because Zidane lost 2 CL finals and WC final! and Maradona never got very far in the European Cup does not make them bad players!!) and use them against him.

As you can tell I'm not a great fan of this brilliant player was better than this brilliant player debates anyway, just thought I'd try and make a point. :P

Now I'm off to watch some Zidane on Youtube!

the liverpool side back then was awesome. I'm not saying Barca are a bad side but they are hardly challenged in their domestic league. Would Messi be as effective week in/week out in the premier league? Before anyone says anything I am not saying he is not a good player. Not one of the greats though. Not yet anyway

eah the Liver
agree with you IN everything you say

not this Messi thread derailing bullshit again...(legit facepalm)

I'll get back to you on wether Messi is the greatest ever when his career is over. World class yes. Best ever? Not by a long shot.

But OT, I only favour simple, short passing possession tactics against bigger teams where I'm expected to not get anything. I like to frustrate them, and hit them on the break PROVIDING a have players capable. IE good stamina, work rate, pace, passing etc. It's a lot harder to do in the lower leagues, but I've had success in the championship with this sort of thing.

Off Topic - Is there only me who think Xavi or Iniesta deserve the Ballon d'Or more than messi?

On topic - I like to play a 3-7-0

Back