Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that the Football Manager community is the best community.

Register

When did player wages get so out of hand?

Reaction score
Without wishing to go on an Ian Holloway-style rant the wages in my game are getting nuts!

I am in season 2016/17 - 7th season in. I'm playing as Spurs. At the beginning of the game I went into the editor and added £100m (greedy, I know - spent (most of) it on Dzeko, Jack Rodwell and Darijo Srna) and changed the expansion capacity on White Hart Lane to 200k without changing the current capacity.

I signed Christiano Ronaldo last season for £26m or so - he fell out with Real over something and they offered him to me! I nearly fell of my chair when I saw his wage demands - £350k/week! The maximum the board would allow was £215k/week and I finally managed to get him to sign with a £100k/appearance bonus.

I bought Dzeko in the first season and had him on something suitable like £150k/week. He's now 30 and his contract is up for renewal at the end of this season. I walked away from the table when he demanded £300k/week but ended up signing him in the January window at the maximum I could get the board to sign which was £225k/week and £45k appearance. To be honest he'd just had a 49-goal season and, as at 21st January, he's on 30 this season so there's no way I could let him go, but still...

Messi was the same. Barcelona offered him a few seasons ago for £20m which I immediately offered but then couldn't get anywhere near the £350k/week he was on at Barca!

It's not just the big names either, which would at least be not so bad. All my half decent youth players are on £30-£50k/week. The really good ones, still only 21 or so, are more like £70k/week. I remember the good ole days of having Super Mario Balotelli on £10k/week for the first 4 years or so in FM09!!!

The other thing that hurts is the signing on bonuses. The big names are requesting £15m as a bonus, with £7m for the chuffing agent! You can hammer them down a bit but not too much. I have apparently paid £71m to agents in 6 and a half years!

Now, I'm winning lots of trophies, and getting the payouts. I also have a ground that is being increased by 16k seats a year. But until this year I was never making a net profit (**** those shareholder dividends!). I wondered if other people with smaller grounds were having this issue or are the players only making the demands because they know I can afford it?

Rant over.

Reaction score
youre lucky man. when i try'ed to sign messi with liverpool in 13/14 he was asking for 480k and a signing bonus of 21 million. i feel where youre coming from though.SI are definately going to restrcture the agents part of the game. also in a sort of unrelated topic id like to see AI transfer fees more realistic.kinda of irritating seeing seydoui doumbia(sp) being bought by barcelona for 25 million pounds

Reaction score
I was at Inter once, and after a tycoon takeover I went for 2016 Lionel Messi, he was 28ish and only had a year left on his contract (still cost me 70m), and he originally wanted 475k p/w :/

I got him down to 325k ofc because Marcellus Wallace dont like being ****** by anybody except Mrs Wallace

Reaction score
A 34 year old Ronaldinho demanded £380k p/w. ;)
screw that!;)

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

couldnt get near aguero's 350k per week so ended up giving him 100k appearence and 50k goal bonus, he scored a lot, that must of cost me a ton!

Reaction score
You edited your budget to 100 million - you shouldn't have much trouble paying any wages tbh :p

Reaction score
ahem yes well about that! I haven't gone bust yet so maybe the hundred mill is helping somewhat...

Reaction score
Top players I can somewhat understand, what I don´t understand on the other hand is when not so good players tend do be little greedy bastards.

Like when I was about to sign Cleverly and he wanted something like £130K, my plan was £40K backup player..