When do I start to Bring in Youth Players?

Dazu

Reaction score
Basically my squad is very strong for my first 11 and my substitutes, I'm not sure when to start playing my youths who have great prospects so it's pretty annoying.. Do I keep them as cover instead? Do I send them on load till X age? I just find it hard to trust unproven young players in the starting 11 and only really play them in games against squads I know I'll beat with small rotation in the league or when I've qualified group CL stages and won league and such..

Any advice on when to start playing them regularly?

Cup matches, matches against lower table teams, send some out on loan if they'll benefit.

I thought that, but when do you usually feel to have them starting the First XI? It's comforting to see the star players of your team that you have confidence in who still perform so well and then you want to play your youth but it's like you don't trust them to deliver the job :p

I love finding great talents, and aren't afraid to play them reguarly in both league- and cupgames in a young age :) Usually around 17, mostly subs, but if they perform, then of course they'll be starting the next game ;)

I guess you have to choose whether it's more important to compete in the League Cup or to develop your young talent so that they can someday win you the Premier League.

For me, if they are playing well in U21 games and getting 7.5 or above ratings, I'll put them in my Squad as a substitute. But I won't bring in a young/fringe player until a First XI player starts to under preform.

Because they are playing well in their U21 games, they will be coming in with good form so they will be in a position to do their role well. Be sure to pair them with an experienced player who can proform both roles incase the youth player has an off game but never pair youth players together since they will drag eachother down sice there is no experience to rely on.

I personally don't bring up youth players to the first team before they are ready. I may give them occasional game against lower league opposition in cup games or in the Champions League group stage after I've already qualified, but other than that, they will stay in the U21 team until they are good enough to at least be a rotation option for the first team.

If they still aren't good enough for the first team by the time they are 20-21 then IMO, it's best to sell them. It's important for players to get plenty of high level experience when they're in-between 21 and 24 and if they aren't already good enough to make the first team by that point then it's unlikely they ever will be, especially if you're improving your team every season. You could try loaning them out, but if you loan them out to a lower league team with poor training facilities, it's probably not going to help much. So if you're a premier league team, it's probably not worth loaning them out to a championship team because they're more likely to learn more staying with you providing that you have good training facilities even if they're not getting first team football. Not to mention that the AI managers don't always follow the terms of the loan... it's not uncommon for them to give your player less game time than agreed upon.

Last edited:
I don't have any plan per se. Depending on their performances and development, I start off my hot prospect youth in Capital One Cup games, FA Cup games and FIFA Club World Cup. You can easily win in those competitions with youth, especially since they're against lesser opposition, provided you have a couple of experienced players in the team.

That easily makes around 10-15 games a season where my youth play for the first team for the whole of 90 minutes. This helps in their development quite a bit.

I play them as substitutes in the CL only and only when they're around 19-20 years old and have developed well. I won't have to register them too by that age, making it less of a hassle.

In the BPL, at around the same age, they're present in my subs. Since my first team is outstanding, my subs usually consist of one vital first teamer, the rest being well developed, good prospect youth, who are good enough to play for around 15 minutes of so.

The selection of youth depends on their performances for the Reserves, and their performances in the Cup Games. Eventually, if a youth prospect is playing exceedingly well, I sell a first teamer and replace him with the prospect.

While selling a player (first teamer or lesser used youth prospect0, I'm ok with selling them for a lesser amount, provided they're having a 50% sell-on clause, which will be more useful most times than a slightly higher transfer fee.

Every game you're winning by 2 goals bring them in as subs

There is a guide somewhere.

if they arent playing so may games for the first team they should be loaned out. (only loan players with a valuable first team player status)

16- 5 games
17- 10 games
18- 15 games
19- 25 games
20- 30 games
21- 30 games

put them on the bench and bring them on if your winning by 2 or 3 goals.

My rule of thumb is that if the player is good enough, then he is old enough. Youngsters with a 4.5- 5 star potential goes to waste if they wont get any games. I usually bring 1 - 2 youngsters in the first team every season. I've noticed that a youngster with very high PA rating perforns well even with about txo star CA rating. Good ratings in determination, teamwork and workrate helps a lot though.

I gave youth players chance when my team lack one position or I just feel like letting them play and they might impress me

How is the guide if you're playing in a lower league club? Would you still use them less or use them more than previously written?

I would use them more. They need more than 20 games in a season to develop properly. Use them as subs (20 min/game) and you'll know :)