When I sign a foreign player that doesn't know the language well;

Konninn

Reaction score
So I've just signed a young french newgen in my Southampton save, and since Schneiderlin is french I thought he could maybe help him with the language.

Is there anyway to help new foreign players learn the language faster? or anything like that.

Your backroom staff will suggest any links if they are needed I would have thought though I've never seen any suggested with foreign players I've signed. The media always seem to ask the question of getting another player to help them settle should no one at the club speak the language already otherwise getting a player already there to lend a hand, and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I've had foreign players I've signed come speak to me who complain they can't settle, and that bringing in a compatriot who speaks their language would help; others that say it would only make things worse.

I don't think anything you really do will have too much of an influence, they will simply pick up the language when they pick it up. Play them normally as you want without considering the language barrier, they might be a tiny bit less effective on the pitch as they gel in the squad, but nothing too noticable that it isn't worth blooding them and making them a part of your plans.

I think how quick he learns the language depends on how high his adaptability is, also from French to English shouldn't take that long, if he was Japanese on the other hand...

In FM12 i had in my alajx save Alderweireld. He is since his 16th at ajax and his native language is flemish, which looks alot like dutch. Still it took like a year till he could communicate with the rest of the team.

I think how quick he learns the language depends on how high his adaptability is, also from French to English shouldn't take that long, if he was Japanese on the other hand...
I think Japanese people speak better English than French people to be honest. Hearing French people speak English is a very rare occasion.

I think the way a players adapt to a club is by having staff or players of his own language in the club, which I personally believe is very strange as it should slower the development. It also depends very much on the cultural differences. Brazilians have a hard time adapting in Europe, which can be seen by taking a look in the editor. I think it was Bayern's president who said they didn't want to buy any Brazilians this transfer window, because they had a hard time adapting to German culture and weather.

In FM12 i had in my alajx save Alderweireld. He is since his 16th at ajax and his native language is flemish, which looks alot like dutch. Still it took like a year till he could communicate with the rest of the team.
Flemish language doesn't exist in the game, so I have no idea how that is possible. The languages of Belgium is Dutch, French and German like in real life.

Last edited:
Its not because they cant speak it (well). Most can. Its cos they ve got some sort of complex against it ...
I think it is a mix of imperial ambitions and failing in every war they ever fought. I was in France last summer and it's actually terrifying how low the amount of English speakers amongst the youth is. I think 2-3 people spoke English in a group of 11-12 Frenchmen.

I think it is a mix of imperial ambitions and failing in every war they ever fought. I was in France last summer and it's actually terrifying how low the amount of English speakers amongst the youth is. I think 2-3 people spoke English in a group of 11-12 Frenchmen.

1) Perhaps.
2) Between grown ups most speak but refuse to point blank.
3) They didnt actually "fail every war they fought". They won a fair share. Its more their eternal competition with the English and their annoyance at two things: the English doing the colonialism thingy much better and the English managing to impose the English language around the world as the universal language.

Incidentally in England/UK there's among the lowest percentage of "foreign" language speakers which is also inexcusable imho and leads to the "little Englander" mentality that unfairly taints the whole nation abroad.

Anyway, back to FM13 I find it annoying two seasons in to still get messages from my assman in game that a player who s been with me for two seasons still has problems of communication.