When is a donation, not a donation?

Look, the money goes to help the site, not to pay Sean's bills
If you don't want to don't donate

exactly so it is in no way a donation!!!!!

Can you please make a decision on whether or not you're going to donate to the site or 'donate' to the site.

This is getting a bit tedious with this arguing.

This is probably going to turn into a shouting match.

Basically, if you want to become a premium member, with extra benefits, you pay a fee of £4.

If you want to donate less than £4 you can but you won't be a premium member. Lots of things in life are like this.

Those are your options. You don't have to donate if you don't want to. Though I reckon £4 is worth it.

As I said, I understand where the money goes and why Sean needs help with finances to run such a good site and I did say that I will be donating.

If Sean advertised it as "Become a premium member of our site, for a small fee to help with the running costs" and list all the benefits, then there's no problem.

It's seems like everyone is confused as it what a donation is.... it's an act of giving to a cause - mainly charities - out of goodness of our hearts.

You should let people donation as much or as little as they like but I agree that £4 for the premium advantages is a good idea...

So, no I'm not whining about having to pay because I don't but as the title says

"when is a donation, not a donation?" when our told what you can and cant donate.

And I'm sure you are all going to disagree, pick flaws etc but what I'm saying is right!

That is fine then. I think we all agree. Most people pay £4 and upwards to have the advantage of becoming a premium member. I doubt many would donate under because you lose money and don't get any advantages. I can see what you are saying though.

Probably, but the fact is that no one apart from you cares, I think :)

That is fine then. I think we all agree. Most people pay £4 and upwards to have the advantage of becoming a premium member. I doubt many would donate under because you lose money and don't get any advantages. I can see what you are saying though.

When you donate to a cause, of course your going to lose money and you don't get anything in return other than knowing that you helped the cause. You don't receive anything for a donation, so this shouldn't be labelled as one. A premiums second donation would be a donation but the first is a fee!

When you donate to a cause, of course your going to lose money and you don't get anything in return other than knowing that you helped the cause. You don't receive anything for a donation, so this shouldn't be labelled as one. A premiums second donation would be a donation but the first is a fee!
It is a Donation because Sean is using the money to help fund this site,if he was using it to pay for his nights out on the town then it would be a fee.If he was only letting people use this site who cough up 4 quid then it wold be a fee,as it is your under no obligation to pay and can still enjoy the site,so as far as im concerned its a donation.

If you dont want to donate 4 quid then dont,nobody is going to think any less of you.End of story.

Last edited:
The minimum donation is set to £4 for one reason.... anything less than that is just not worth it. After Paypal take it's cut it's just simply not beneficial enough to 'take' peoples money when a large portion of it won't come to FMB.

Thanks Lee , now thats a proper answer. Possible way around, it too hard to just let people give money straight from their bank cards - cut out paypal altogether? I heard that you can donate by txt, would that add the donation to your phone bill?

This is probably going to turn into a shouting match.

Basically, if you want to become a premium member, with extra benefits, you pay a fee of £4.

If you want to donate less than £4 you can but you won't be a premium member. Lots of things in life are like this.

Those are your options. You don't have to donate if you don't want to. Though I reckon £4 is worth it.

Is it monthly that you have to pay four quid?

As I said, I understand where the money goes and why Sean needs help with finances to run such a good site and I did say that I will be donating.

If Sean advertised it as "Become a premium member of our site, for a small fee to help with the running costs" and list all the benefits, then there's no problem.

ummmm, pretty sure thats what he did http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=76

its a one off payment, i donated £10 when the minimum was £2, i feel its worth it, the cash raised has paid for the new server which so far has been way better than the old one. i dont quite see why you are saying it cant be a donation if there is a mimimum fee. people donated to the site long before premium membership existed, you can still donate any amount you want, but its £4 to go premium.

Think about when you are in the bank, and you see those charity appeals, you can get a badge or a pin or soemthing to support the charity, but the box always says 'please donate at least £1''

The reasons I have set it at £4 as, like Lee said, Paypal and the Daopay both take a cut of each donation. £4 is a decent enough amount so that I don't feel like I am wasting anyone's donation and that enough still comes to FM-Base for the bills.

I would like to accept any payment no matter how big or small. But then it also means that if someone was to make a £1 donation I would have to check through the donation history to see if they have reached £4 so they can be given Premium Membership.

By having the minimum it means that it is easy to see what they can donate to get the Premium Membership which is the major reason for people donating.

Hi i made a donation earlier using my mobile, i havent recieved the digit code still when it said on the site i'd reviece one?

Have messaged sean with everything i have n the code i had to text to the DAO thing and time & email, cant wait to become a premium member =]

I'm definately donating after I've paid off my Xbox Live membership next week for another three months.

Love you Sean and everyone else who contributed to this site.:wub: