When Merseyside Turned Red Again-A Liverpool Football Club Story

Legendismessi

Reaction score
When Merseyside Turned Red Again

A Liverpool FC Story

When Kenny Dalglish took over at Liverpool midway through the season that just went, everybody thought that the good times were back at Anfield. And so it proved. What looked like a relegation battle under Roy Hodgson soon turned into a just-missed-a-Europa-League-spot campaign for the club. So, it was naturally disappointing for everyone as a fan when news trickled in from Anfield that the King was ill.

By the way, I was not just a fan. I was a professional football manager too. And my CV was pretty good to be honest. I started out my playing career at Huddersfield before plying my trade with many clubs in England-Everton, Bolton Wanderers, Liverpool, Southampton and Newcastle United-though not exactly in that order. I had even made four appearances for my nation too-all of them in friendlies though. After a good playing career of twenty years, I decided to enter management. I started out as a coach at Celtic and Lyon for four years each before making my way into the managerial folds beginning with Real Sociedad. After three years at Sociedad, I moved to Kaiserslautern. And soon, I added names like Manchester City, Glasgow Rangers, West Ham United, Valencia, Bayern Munich and finally, Wolfsburg-the club I last managed and resigned from on a high after winning the Bundesliga title with them-in a career lasting twenty two years.

By the way, I've told you so much without having introduced myself. I am Greg Halliway, a former England international born in Leeds. Coming back to the present, like I said, everyone was disappointed when Kenny fell ill. And the disappointment soon turned into despair when the King finally said good-bye to the club as a manager in order to spend time recovering.

"I wish the club all the very best for the future and I really hope that the past glories of the club return once more to the club."

I read and re-read that statement in the morning paper with a sense of disbelief in me. But at the same time, some part of me said, this was happening for good. I sipped my coffee and then looked outside the window, deep in thought, when Anne, my wife came in and said, "Greg, have you read the Telegraph this morning?"

"Since when did you start subscribing to it?" I asked, surprised she hadn't told me about this. I thought marital relationships were supposed to be open about everything. Not that I really cared for openness in such a trivial issue. Still...

"I haven't," she said, "Mary called a few minutes ago. And she said the backpage had your photo on it as candidates the Liverpool owners were considering."

I smiled and replied, "Anne, don't get carried away. It's the papers. For all I know, they may probably say Ian Rush is going to come out if retirement and play for them."

"Just saying. You as Liverpool manager does sound good." she said, winking at me.

And come to think of it, she was right.

Gregory Halliway, Manager, Liverpool Football Club.

It does sound good right?