When Nelson gets his eye back! Nelson F.C.

sharpysharps

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first ever manager story on the forum. I've been a long time reader of some of the incredible tales that have been told on here, and just recently I have been inspired to try my hand at writing my own. Hopefully this won't be too rough around the edges ^^)

Anyway, here goes...

View attachment 170971

Stephen Peter Sharples, at the age of 29 has been appointed the new manager of Nelson Football Club, replacing former manager Mark Fell.

Residing in the North West Counties Premier Division alongside the likes of AFC Liverpool, AFC Blackpool and AFC Darwen, there was something about this club that appealed to me. With my home town of Chorley about 45 minutes drive up the M65, and the club I support (Blackburn Rovers) not being too far away at all, it seemed like an interesting challenge to drop down 3 tiers lower than the Conference North. I've never managed at this level before, so I have literally no idea what to expect (other than the quality of football to be pretty dreadful).

View attachment 170956View attachment 170955

'The Admirals' play at Victoria Park, which lets face it is pretty much a field with some goal posts and a few railings. It'll be my objective to transform this club from lowly non leaguers to a professional football league outfit, and maybe beyond that. It's one heck of a challenge just to get to the Conference North, so it's going to be quite the journey.

As you can see, Nelson are a side that are a little short on success despite being founded in 1881...

View attachment 170962

After a good introduction meeting with the club chairman Liam Roberts, I was given a fairly uninspiring task of securing a mid table finish on a wage budget of £325 and a transfer budget of £0. I chose to keep things simple and not to promise the Chairman anything more as looking at the squad of permanent players we were certainly lacking in numbers. Luckily for us most of the sides in the division are in the same boat or even worse off. I was confident that if we could get a hard working group together then we'd be able to achieve much greater things than the media prediction of 16th.

Never the less, I got straight to work with my team and the coaching staff already in place at the club...errr, or at least that's what I thought would happen until I discovered I had no staff! I immediately set about bringing in a couple of coaches and a scout to help me find the right formula. In came my first assistant manager in Phil Brazier, coach Ross Preston and scout Josh Crawford.

View attachment 170961

View attachment 170960

As you can see Crawford in particular was not up to much but it's pretty much all I could attract in the scouting department. Preston however joined shortly after Brazier, and came as a recommendation from my new assistant. I was pleasantly surprised by some of his stats and swiftly moved to bring him in.

View attachment 170958

In my next update I'll go into a bit more detail on the squad that I have assembled together for the season ahead and the system that we'll be playing with. There have been plenty of incomings to take us up to a decent selection of players to surpass most other sides in the league. It certainly seems like a case of quantity over quality will get you further down here.​

View attachment 170446

The Team and Early Season Form

As mentioned in the last post, the squad was pretty small with no goalkeeper, fullbacks or a left winger at all in the squad. The good news is that most teams in the league are in the same situation. We made some pretty swift moves in the transfer market to bolster our squad. Nobody left the club before the start of the season but we managed to bring in 8 players from July through to September.

View attachment 170445

We were going to have to rely on youth big time at our level, and we managed to find one or two that had potential to play a couple of tiers higher than the NW Counties Premier. The picks of the incoming players were Ollie Stevenson, Zac Aley & loanee Josh Snowden.

View attachment 170444

View attachment 170443

View attachment 170442

Aley in particular stood out as a name I recognised from his time with Blackburn's academy before eventually getting released and dropping into the doldrums of non league football. Snowden was another who I felt was more than good enough for the league, coming down from Conference National side Guiseley.

As for players that were already at the club, we seemed to have decent options up front with a couple of decent striking options in Mark Jackson and Nathaniel Taylor.

View attachment 170441

View attachment 170440

Results (Pre-Season - November)

An Ok set of results in pre-season was perhaps a red herring as we started the season in fantastic form, going on an incredible run that took us straight to the top of the league. While the standard of football was incredibly poor at times I was happy to play a simple 442 and hope that our strikers would take atleast one or two of the numerous chances that fell our way in what were really open matches that could have gone either way at times.

View attachment 170434

It was the 2nd game of the season that was the pick of the results for me, 3-0 down at half time we changed things up and went much more attacking in the 2nd half, managed to come from behind and win 4-3. It set us rolling on a run of form that seemed to set us aside from the rest of the pack.

View attachment 170430

Despite the disapointment of instantly getting booted out of the FA Cup I couldn't have wished for a better start overall.

I do like a non league story. Done one myself with Shildon, if you do get promoted I found the next level an awful lot harder

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Another update coming soon.

unfortunately I've lost this save due to a faulty hard drive :(

back to the drawing for for me! Will be back with a new (and hopefully longer lasting) story soon.