When should you try to get your young players to peak?

maxxie

Reaction score
Okay, so I was reading up on PA and CA because I've never really looked into it and the thread I found said that if younger players reach their PA to early, they burn out or something and won't be as good as they could be. I was more inclined to just use a 'the sooner the better' tactic when developing young players.

So what is the best age to try and get their CA to their PA or is it just about getting them to develop slowly?

gradual progression :)

think about it logically, if you were thrust into the 1st team at high school for rugby or football and you played week in week out by the time you are 29 or so you would be "tired"

look at Giggs, he is the perfect example of what you are referring too, yes he started young but Fergie has managed him in such a way that he has got 100% out of his "life span" and used him sparingly and cleverly in his first several years at the club..

I mean we all play Wonderkids in our 1st team, thats the fun of it, but if you were to play the same player half that time he would grow to be a better player with regards to future CA potential...

get what I am saying? I for one am not 100% clued up on the "burn out" myth that I mentioned in my other thread, but I can only assume (due to the fact of reading John Smit's book) that this is what happens when a young player is thrust into a team and forced to play week in week out

I've got three wonderkids in my team right now and I'm just trying to get the most out of them :)

As Raikan has said, and as I advice you, you SHOULD play your players in the first team even for whole matches and even when they're like 16 or 17... If they get about 20-30 games per season they'll grow quicker, but no you shouldn't play them like 40-50 games per season that would be an overkill(as it's said in Starcraft2) and it isn't that useful. I also find playing in a lower league quite useful for this(I play 1.HNL or Croatian First Division) cause other teams don't have that good players and you can put your youngster in the first team easily without doing any damage to your club's chances of winning... I would give you some screenshots of my regens developed this way but since I put Windows 7 a few days ago I don't have theyr screenshots...

Healthy rotation is the key, but not playing a wonderkid enough is just as bad as too much I tend to play them in allmmy home games and league cup, FA cup. Away games and champions league I rest wonderkids if I can. The problem is, if they are your best players then what can you do they need to play!

Like said above, you should play your wonderkids in the 1st team even at the age of 16. If you want to train a Goalie it's a different story, as you only can have 1 goalie on the field at a time. Play him in pre season friendlies, low cup games etc. IF you have any goalies that need games that is.

I usually have a young squad so my players usually 'peak' quickly. But I also sell players that don't have the potential to become tutors in the future, that way I get a high price for players that have been very stable but are getting inconsistent. I don't like inconsistent players in my team, I sold one of the games top strikers Vaclav Kadlec for 20m because he was inconsistent.

I don't know if you like the Roy Hodgson style (using old and experienced players that really don't know football anymore and are slower than Giggs) or if you like using young players. I've seen how many people say you should develop your best young players, I usually keep them in my squad until I sell them (I prefer not loaning them), but if I don't see them becoming my star players but a backup player or even not good enough for my squad I loan them out. If I get a player from my own academy that has the potential to become decent/good EPL player I keep him, if that would be his scout report I wouldn't buy him.

Short Version:
It depends on your style of management, do you like to have young players that you can get profit from at the age of 24-28 or let them develop slowly and let them 'peak' at the age of 24-28.

EDIT:
It also depends on if you already have a star player in the team in the player's position. If I have a world class player in let's say the DR position I wouldn't let the young player play as much as I would if the main DR would be a decent or good player. But I usually let them play all of my League Cup and FA Cup games, I also put them in late in games. I'm currently introducing Martin Kelly to my first team but Glen Johnson is playing really well but I play Kelly late in games when Glen Johnson is getting tired and against weaker teams (because my first team players sometimes get complacent :S) and he usually has between 7.2+ in full games and between 6.8-7+ when he comes on with 30 minutes left.

Last edited:
I don't use really young players in my squad.

Only time that might change is if I win the league quite early (won with 10 games to go season just gone) then I'll consider using the talented 16-18 year olds as subs for a few games whilst the starters are rested for champions league games.

I use this system

Starting 11 - Best players/performers - Will start 40 games a season
Second 11 - Bench warmers & injury replacements - Will start 15-20 games a season
Back-ups - Decent young players/aging players that can't last 90mins anymore (Rio Ferdinand as an example) Will start 5-10 games a season

My youth will be in the back-up section, even if they are touted as 4 star wonderkids. Then by the time they hit 18-19 they'll make bench warmer, then 20+ they can start if good.

My definition of using young players are 17+ if they have enough potential, I don't start using them regularly until they're at least decent/good Championship players. I'm of course talking about the English system (BSS/BSN/BSP/League 2/ League 1/Championship/EPL).

In my W.B.A I don't play much anymore my best defender was 18 year old with around 30 caps for Egypt, would of been more impressive if it wasn't Egypt but 30 caps at the age of 18 is impressive in my opinion. My W.B.A team won everything that season. (A little brag EPL, FA, LC, CL. But with an average age of 21 and my best defender 18 years old and oldest starting player was 26).

Well, I'm Real Madrid so I have star players in every position and don't need to play the wonderkids if I don't want. When I first started this save I bought Neymar and put him in the first team pretty early on so I think I developed him a little too quickly. He's still really good but maybe could have been better. I don't much like having older players so I usually had the plan of selling them once they were past their peak and bringing in the young guys (18-19) but I'm starting to see that might not be the best plan :p