When the game just won't let you win!!!!!

SuperDude

Banned
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, does anyone else agree with me that there are some fixtures that the game is programmed to not let you win under any circumstances? This is the scenario, I am in the CL semi managing Barcelona against Madrid, I used my Ultra Defensive tactics (search for it on the forum) in the home leg to get a 0-0 and avoid the away goal for Madrid. In the second leg I have replayed the match like 30 times and used every form of tactic and team selection imaginable but the game just won't let me win, I know your not supposed to replay fixtures and I don't usually but the point remains.

My tactics are fine, the team are playing well and creating chances, but every single time Cassilas performs like a Super Hero and gets at least a 9.5 rating every time. It is impossible to get the ball past Cassilas in this fixture, the game just won't let me score. I have given up trying to score against Cassilas so I have just gone back to my Ultra Defensive Tactics to hold out for a 0-0 and penalties, it is the only thing that works against Madrid when your managing Barcelona. The problem is that by that stage Madrid have 4 strikers on the pitch and all my players are defenders so it is a big ask for them to win the shoot-out, and they have not been able to so far.

I even tried playing with all out overload attack right from the start with Messi Ibra Aguero and Henry all on the pitch at the same time but I still can't score against Cassilas lol. I know that Cassilas is a great goalkeeper, but they could make a movie out of how hard it is to get the ball past him in this game, some of the saves that he makes are bordering on the ridiculous. Has anyone else had similar experiences and do you have any suggestions for how I can somehow win this fixture?

Last edited:
i disagree with you in this. real at home are arguably the most potent side in the game but they are beatable at home ive had to do so myself (unbeaten against them in 5 games). not at home so cant go trough my game but its important to dominate the DMC space behind their two strikers, ronaldo and kaka must be shown wide, to limit them cutting in and shooting from range, and their dmcs must be put under pressure at all times. then exploit the fact that their full backs get forwards, but using direct passing and quick attackers. if they drop of into counter attack mode, slow the game right down with short accurate passing

i disagree with you in this. real at home are arguably the most potent side in the game but they are beatable at home ive had to do so myself (unbeaten against them in 5 games). not at home so cant go trough my game but its important to dominate the DMC space behind their two strikers, ronaldo and kaka must be shown wide, to limit them cutting in and shooting from range, and their dmcs must be put under pressure at all times. then exploit the fact that their full backs get forwards, but using direct passing and quick attackers. if they drop of into counter attack mode, slow the game right down with short accurate passing

OK I appreciate your advice but as I said my team are playing well and creating chances, the problem is that every single time Cassillas has a super hero performance and won't let me score, I have replayed it so many times and every single time Cassillas has had at least a 9.5 rating by the end, he even got 9.9 in one game lol.

that may be so, but if you cant win in 30 games, then you are doing something wrong repeatedly

I beat Real last night with Arsenal 1st season. Maybe its because your rivals. Have you tried differnt team talks?

or commenting on the match "hope Real crash and burn" etc?

Might make your team more up for the game.

I beat Real last night with Arsenal 1st season. Maybe its because your rivals. Have you tried differnt team talks?

or commenting on the match "hope Real crash and burn" etc?

Might make your team more up for the game.

OK Thats an interesting idea I will try it thanks.

I have a Save With barce in 2018 and since the start ive only ever lost twice to madrid (away). just put bags of pressure on their players (closing down, man marking etc). Also in the opposition instructions try closing down casillas, and show him onto his weaker foot , this normally works, and play a very deep defensive line :).. hope i could help :)

I think you're missing the point, it's not about playing against Real Madrid.

More about ANY team who you have played and no matter what you throw at them, it doesn't work.

More about ANY team who you have played and no matter what you throw at them, it doesn't work.

oh well i gave my advice for real madrid lol.. i have never came up with a problem like this, mostly because iv never replayed a match, but iv had cases where season after season iv lost to the same f**king team each year. For example, in my Arsenal save, no matter WHAT i do, season after season i cant beat Bolton... BOLTON :(:O lol

Have to agree Real Madrid at home is one of the toughest fixtures in FM2010. I normally thrash them away and get blown away at the Bernabeu. Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema, Higuain, too many fast and lethal finishers, they destroy any team on the counter.

Victor Valdes is also quite ****.

Get Buffon :D Real had like 20 more shots than me playing at the Bernabeu (I was Barca) and we still hung on for a 1-0 win.

I prefer Buffon to the up-and-coming keepers like Adler and Neuer because
a) He's better and keeps going till he's 37
b) He always performs fantastically on the big games

The team i can never beat is Spurs, its ridiculous!

Well im not missing the point.

I was suggesting that instead of simply repeating the match without trying every option that might affect the oppositions game/style may not work.

Hopefully OP will let us know how he got on after :)

Haha I finally did it guys, I decided to try a tactical approach that I had not tried before. I copied Madrid's formation exactly with the two DM's and the two wingers and two strikers, I made the two wingers Messi and Iniesta inside forwards with them both coming inside onto there favoured foot. I played on the counter setting with a very deep defensive line to make it difficult for Madrid's fast attackers to get behind my defence, I put the setting to very direct passing at high tempo to counter attack fast. Mind you they still mullered my team in the first half and had loads of shots but they were restricted mostly to long range efforts thanks to the deep defensive line, Ibrahimovic scored for me right before half time with a goal completely against the run of play. Then I knew that Madrid needed 2 goals so I changed to the Ultra Defensive formation, taking off Ibra Aguero and Iniesta at half time and bringing on Chygrynsky, Keita and Renan. This is the formation that I switched to, it is a slight variation on the Ultra Defensive tactic that I posed in a thread on this forum:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see this formation plugs every single hole in the defence, you have two full backs on both sides doubling up on the wingers and you have 3 DM's in the centre making in almost impossible for the opposition to go through the middle, its also tough for the opposition to score from crosses with the 3 CB's in there, I think this is an improved version of the Ultra Defensive formation I posted in another thread. The second half was really funny, Madrid were attacking like absolute nutters, Cassillas even went up for a few corners lol, but there was no way through this brick wall defence. Seriously, everyone should have this formation saved for when they need to hold on for a win, it really works.

I copied Madrid's formation exactly with the two DM's and the two wingers and two strikers, I made the two wingers Messi and Iniesta inside forwards with them both coming inside onto there favoured foot. I played on the counter setting with a very deep defensive line to make it difficult for Madrid's fast attackers to get behind my defence, I put the setting to very direct passing at high tempo to counter attack fast. Mind you they still mullered my team in the first half and had loads of shots but they were restricted mostly to long range efforts thanks to the deep defensive line, Ibrahimovic scored for me right before half time with a goal completely against the run of play.

well done mate. doing the dm thing was exactly right. you prevent the strikers from dropping into space and you cut their supply. this what i was suggesting to you earlier. you willnearly always get mulleredaway to madrid, but its how you get mullered that counts, ie you only left them ridiculous long shots, and not good chances, and the direct passing will catch out their very attacking fullbacks

Like Inter pretty much did to Barca! lol (**** inter :mad:!)

Glad you finally got that win, now you can rest! (and press continue instead of quit! :p)

well done mate. doing the dm thing was exactly right. you prevent the strikers from dropping into space and you cut their supply. this what i was suggesting to you earlier. you willnearly always get mulleredaway to madrid, but its how you get mullered that counts, ie you only left them ridiculous long shots, and not good chances, and the direct passing will catch out their very attacking fullbacks

Yeah, nothing else was working so I decided just to copy what Madrid were doing lol, although in a slightly more defensive away playing on the counter attack, it is pretty much what you suggested earlier so fair play to ya lol. I don't think I would of won if I had left it like that at half time tho, its the Ultra Defensive formation that saw me through to the final wistle.

Haha I finally did it guys, I decided to try a tactical approach that I had not tried before. I copied Madrid's formation exactly with the two DM's and the two wingers and two strikers, I made the two wingers Messi and Iniesta inside forwards with them both coming inside onto there favoured foot. I played on the counter setting with a very deep defensive line to make it difficult for Madrid's fast attackers to get behind my defence, I put the setting to very direct passing at high tempo to counter attack fast. Mind you they still mullered my team in the first half and had loads of shots but they were restricted mostly to long range efforts thanks to the deep defensive line, Ibrahimovic scored for me right before half time with a goal completely against the run of play. Then I knew that Madrid needed 2 goals so I changed to the Ultra Defensive formation, taking off Ibra Aguero and Iniesta at half time and bringing on Chygrynsky, Keita and Renan. This is the formation that I switched to, it is a slight variation on the Ultra Defensive tactic that I posed in a thread on this forum:

As you can see this formation plugs every single hole in the defence, you have two full backs on both sides doubling up on the wingers and you have 3 DM's in the centre making in almost impossible for the opposition to go through the middle, its also tough for the opposition to score from crosses with the 3 CB's in there, I think this is an improved version of the Ultra Defensive formation I posted in another thread. The second half was really funny, Madrid were attacking like absolute nutters, Cassillas even went up for a few corners lol, but there was no way through this brick wall defence. Seriously, everyone should have this formation saved for when they need to hold on for a win, it really works.
Hahahaaa mint tactic. Does actually work sometimes lol.