MonagHusker

Reaction score
My top youth intake player so far is regularly appearing for the first team a couple years after he came aboard. I signed him to three year deal with an additional couple of optional contract extension by club years. By my count, he has two years left on his current deal and then I can trigger the contract extension later.

Why is my assistant coach recommending that I work out a deal now? Does he not see that we have some more time?

In general, if you have a contract in place that is for multiple years, when will you opt to re-work the contract early?

Well, without knowing all the details, maybe your assistant has noticed the youngsters increasing role in the first team & thinks he should be given a contract that better reflects his role in the side. Maybe he's looking to stave off interest in the guy by handing him a better contract. Maybe he just really rates him. Truth is there could be any number of reasons.....

As far as when I offer a new contract, once again there are so many variables I could go on all day. Wage, interest, role, age, etc. just to name a few.

So I guess my answers are: dunno & depends. I imagine that is hugely helpful! :p

Thanks for replying. I imagine a main reason is that I have him as a starter in the first team, and so his importance has grown. I will just keep an eye and if he seems unhappy or receives lots of interest I may be forced to renegotiate early.

In this instance disregard what your assistant is saying if the lad is happy to extend by one year do it. Only renegotiate if he wants more money or a bigger club comes sniffing around.