Reaction score
hi guys. first year playing fm. i am managing villa and cuellar is in the last year of his contract. when is the standard time for contract renewals? i fear if i do it straight away, i will be giving money away but if i wait, his demands may reflects those of clubs who wish to procure him cheaply in the summer. thank you.

ps. i dont play with attacking midfielders and wish to part with steven ireland but i cannot give him away. will this potentially change in january or am i stuck with him until next summer. cheers.

when they have a good run of form or during december and february/march is when I usually do mine :)

usually wait till dcember to do mines then you have a better idea as to when they are playing well or not.

I always do mine a year before.. as OP said, don't they demanding if they attract attention from other clubs in december or later on ?

There two ways I do mine.

1) If a team is after one of my players and keep bidding for him and I dont want to let him go, I will usually offer him a contract to put of the bidding team. 9 times out of 10 he will usually sign a contract extention.

2) Players who are in the last years of their contract, I will just offer them a contract at any point during the season, usually at the start of the season or during January.

Firstly, keep Cuellar because he is Villa's best defender, excluding Clark.

Anyway best time to do it is when they're on form and morale is high, that way they'll bother less about the demands and more focused on staying at the club. If you look on the personal screen of a player, it should indicate you when is the right time next to "General happiness" by saying "Happy to be part of the club" or something similar. If it says something like "considering options" then you know he'll want you to make him stay by offering him more wages etc.