When you get promoted, and some decent sides get relegated...

Adolfo

Reaction score
... I am currently top of the Championship with Nottingham Forest in the first season, and I am can't help but lick my lips when I view the Premier League table. Currently Aston Villa and Wigan Athletic are adrift at the bottom of the table, with Sunderland in 18th, a point away from safety. All 3 of these sides have some real quality players I would hope to poach if/when I go up and they go down. I am really hoping Villa get relegated just so I can steal Marc Albrighton and Fabian Delph. I also like the look of Nathan Delfouneso, and they also have Scott Sinclair. Of course, there's Gabby Agbonlahor but he's probably out of my price range. From Wigan, I have my eye on Piscu, Victor Moses and James McCarthy. Fingers crossed I will be able to get a combination of these players, say 2 or 3.

Anyone have any similar stories like this? Is it easy or hard to ****** players from the relegated sides when you first get promoted?

I think it will be down to the reputation of your club and the players attatchment of his current club. Also any contract clauses i.e. Relegation release clause.

When promoted you need to look at why did this team get relegated? Is it because they didn't score enough, In which case dont buy there out of form over priced strikers in my case Kevin Doyle & Hugo Rodagella. Or is it the Defence that conceeded loads in My case Al-habsi, Roger Johnson and Richard Stearman. I paid over the odds for all of these after 13 games non of these players start.

My Advice is a teams relegated for a reason. Either Not scoring or Not keeping Clean sheets or both. If a ST had a good season but his defence was poor then by all means buy him same with a midfielder if he scored/assisted plenty.

I look out for the Standout Players, like With Swansea i would take Sinclair and Dyer, QPR i would take the vastly overrated in game Taarabt. Once Stoke got relegated and i nearly got Shawcross for 7 million, then i delayed, they rejected, i bid again and they want 20 million :p Its good when fairly average teams get relegated :D