Status
Not open for further replies.

lessthanjake

Reaction score
I'm in a Man City save in which I am about to begin the 5th season. My team is about as good as I can possibly make it, with 2 world class players at each position. Since my team is so young, I will still have a starting 11 of all world class players in their primes 5-6 years from now, which means I have many years left to buy up youth talent and build it up without sacrificing current success. Because of this, I have decided to make one last big buy this year in an attempt to create the best team possible in this game.

However, because my team is full of such good players, there really aren't many players who are a real upgrade to mine. It really comes down to Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Not only are those the two best players in the game, but they happen to naturally play at my weakest position (which is AMR where I have Alexis Sanchez and Mario Balotelli).

I have offers accepted for both players. Real Madrid has accepted a 97 million pound offer for Cristiano Ronaldo and he has accepted a 180,000 pound a week salary. On the other hand, Barcelona accepted a 120 million pound offer for Lionel Messi and he requires a 275,000 pound a week salary. As a sidenote, I unfortunately gave a match highest earner clause to Chiellini and Aguero, so giving Messi 275k will bump their salaries from 180k to 275k as well.

I am able to afford both of these deals, though Cristiano's is obviously significantly better (and would allow me to buy up a couple younger players this year on top of it). I have never played with either player, so I am actually not sure which one is better in-game in FM11, specifically in the Inside Forward-Attack role I'll be giving them. It should be Messi by a slight bit, but I dont know if it is. And while Messi is more expensive, he is only 27 at this point, while Ronaldo is 29. Having him for 2 more years of his prime is certainly significant. On the other hand, Ronaldo is more adaptable and already knows English, so he would likely blend into my squad quicker, which I would like as I am aiming for the next 2 years to be as good as possible.

Which deal should I take?

NOTE: I read that we aren't supposed to make "This player vs this player" threads, but I still made this because I think this is different. I am not solely concerned with whether Messi or Ronaldo is better, but rather which deal is better at this point in my game. I also noticed the "Who should I buy or sell?" section but that seems to be geared towards more general queries than this, and the format threads are supposed to use there does not fit this question. Lastly, and MOST importantly, I DID search and there is a thread regarding Ronaldo and Messi, but after reading EVERY post in it, I found there was nothing of use for me because everyone was talking about real life not FM. My point here is that I did research through this site and nothing has answered my question, hence I'm making a thread.

Go with Ronaldo, he is better in the game imo... he also plays more positions than Messi from memory.... and also as noted, he is cheaper.... so i would go for CR7

Messi is better for the simple fact of he doesnt require physicality, meaning he will last longer.
Ronaldo game is completely dependant on dribbling and Physicality, hes strong and he fast however the problem with this is when he gets over 30, its the first attributes of his which will degrade

Status
Not open for further replies.