Which teams have shocked you (so far) this season..?

Frank

Hobbs
Reaction score
So, were coming to the end of october...

which teams have taken you by suprise so far..

for me..

Blackpool - Of course, they were expected to struggle, yet we've seen some great form from the seaside club.

West Brom - Some great results, with an exciting brand of football.

Liverpool - Not much is needed here.

**Some opinions on this thread could be used for an upcoming podcast discussion, so bare this in mind when constructing points!

West Brom. They are usually a yo-yo team and struggle to score goals when they get into the premier league. However this season they are looking good and have had some great results (win at Emirates). Credit to the manager and hopefully for them the form continues.

Another obvious one is Middlesbrough. They were expected to be challenging to the top 2 with some of the signings they made (Boyd) but have really struggled under Strachan. Hopefully for them Mowbray turns things around.

Last edited:
Can't really judge much by October. Remember what happened to Hull.

Obviously Blackpool and WBA have overachieved, with Liverpool doing the opposite. Chelsea's goal rush at the start of the season was a bit surprising.

Argyle. Thought they would be fighting for a promotion spot by now and winning most games but it's just like the championship again, inconsistent with a scrappy win here and there. Still it's only October, a lot could change

I was going to say Blackpool, Liverpool and Brom :mad:

United have also been quite poor and Everton have surprised me i thought they would struggle as they didnt strengthen much over the summer but player cooming back like Arteta coming back from injuries have made me think that they will get a European place this year.

Can't really judge much by October. Remember what happened to Hull.

Obviously Blackpool and WBA have overachieved, with Liverpool doing the opposite. Chelsea's goal rush at the start of the season was a bit surprising.

Against 'lower standard' teams IMO

Blackpool and West Brom, they have two great managers, hopefuly they will stay in the PL :)

EDIT - Forgot Mainz of course, even though they got eliminated by a much smaller team in the German Cup ..

Last edited:
Bristol City, got a lot of good signings, Stead, James, Rose they were expected to be at the top then Coppell or whatever hes called resigned and there now sat in last

Liverpool, Blackpool, West Brom.

As I only really pay attention to the Premiership I can't really say any others, these 3 are the one's that stand out.

Blackpool & West Brom - Both have had a very good start to the season, and pulled off some shock/good results.

Liverpool - we've been the opposite and have started really bad, we've not started this bad in a very long time, and teams have played us off the park at times.

Bristol City, got a lot of good signings, Stead, James, Rose they were expected to be at the top then Coppell or whatever hes called resigned and there now sat in last

Most importantly, they got Caulker :wub: on loan...

Liverpool have shocked me the most, they'd be one of the teams i've enjoyed watching the most as well...

Out of Premier, over the world, Mainz.

Staying on topic : Blackpool. Nothing special, but if I have to give my vote I would give it to them.

West Ham have done pretty bad I mean no one expected them to be challenging for europe but no one expected them to be last in the premier league.

Blackpool and WBA being the obvious ones. I am suprised at Birmingham considering their defence was excellent last year. Outside of England, Wolfsburg have been poor.

Bristol City, I honestly thought they would have one foot in the Prem. Now they have one foot in League 1 XD

Last edited:
Overachievers: Blackpool, WBA
Underachievers: Liverpool, Fulham

BUT its still too early to make any real decisions.

Plymouth, thought we would be much better than we are, same to be said about Bristol City, West Ham and Liverpool.

Overacheivers.. hmm.. Newcastle?

Newcastle, for the most part we've played very well, far better than expected, shame about the terrible refereeing we've been subject to though.

Underachieved:

Benfica - after an amazing last season, starting with two losses is a bit harsh to the fans
Liverpool - I was expecting more. Not much more, but definitely more than the red zone
Schalke - hoped more from a really good squad

Overachieved:

Mainz - what the f***? If getting to the top of the Bundesliga and holding the first place is difficult for any team, imagine how it is for a small team like them. The only player I know is Szalai, and was a player I was always firing at R. Madrid
Newcastle - hoped a tough beggining for the lads, but it seems like they haven't forgotten what the Premier League is like at all