davegutt0512

Reaction score
While The Sky Is Blue....

View attachment 178078

As a lifelong Coventry City fan for the first time I'm pretty excited this season, My aim is for this story is to take Coventry City as far as I can, We have a good squad this year and are contenders for promotion with players like Joe Cole joining the club things are positive.

My aim is to return Coventry back to the top flight however a lot of work will need to be done all round the club before that could ever be a realistic possibility.

View attachment 178071
As you can see the Honours list is pretty limited with the last coming in the unexpected 1987 FA Cup win

View attachment 178046
Our facilities are still pretty high compared to most League 1 clubs

Ill be aiming to have the youth and training facilities upgraded as with our distinct lack of funds I am hoping I can rely on the youth system throughout this save.

View attachment 178043

View attachment 178044

This is the squad I take control over for the new season, We have some very good players for the league we are in and enough of a squad to compete well in a long campaign.

I think Joe Cole, Adam Armstrong and Sam Ricketts will be pivotal to any success I have and Ill be praying they stay fit.

I might look into bringing in a more experienced GK as Burge and Charles-Cook are both good keepers however both still young, Ill also probably look to bring in a versatile defender who can provide cover across the back line.

Looking through the under 21's/18's we have some players I believe could feature for us but I don't feel like it will be this season so ill look into sorting out some loan deals for them.

Love these sort of stories, good luck with this one. Considering doing one with my local team......Hartlepool United. Armstrong should show his quality at this level.

Love these sort of stories, good luck with this one. Considering doing one with my local team......Hartlepool United. Armstrong should show his quality at this level.

Thanks, He has certainly shown his quality IRL, hopefully he can replicate some sort of that form for me here.

View attachment 178012

View attachment 178011

So we came through Pre-season with a 100% win record however I am not going to get carried away, we played some very poor opposition.

I rotated the squad throughout the games so everyone goes into the first day match sharp.

Armstrong scored 7 goals in the 4 games and will be our first choice to lead the line in out first fixture against Wigan.

View attachment 178010
Unfortunately we didn't manage to come through unscathed and the injury list is as follows, Unfortunately Johnson and Fleck would have started the game for us but we will have to do without them for the time being.

View attachment 177689

August

View attachment 177688
JPT draw started off the month and we face a tricky home tie to Portsmouth, Ill rotate as much as I can for this as the league takes priority however as the rules permit only 5 changes to squad from previous game so it wont be as much as I'd intend.

View attachment 177685
It was a pretty even game to start off the season, we dominated the first half and really should have gone in at HT with more of a lead, we managed to save the point late on, and on the second half showing can think ourselves lucky I think.

View attachment 177684
A great result in the Capital One cup, I set up to counter attack and it worked perfectly with the pace of Armstrong and Murphy causing problems all game for the Leeds back line.

View attachment 177683
It'll be a very tough match but a big derby game against local Leicester City is the reward for our win against Leeds.

View attachment 177681
We were really poor here and I think the squad had their minds on the Leicester game, Millwall dominated us all game and 2-1 was probably an unfair reflection of the game from Millwsall point of view. Armstrong scored again however to continue his good pre-season form.

View attachment 177679
That's the captain our for 3 months, he will be missed in our back 4

View attachment 177678
A mad game, more a tale of 2 leaky defences than anything else, O'Brien came good for us and scored a Hattrick whilst Armstrong scored another, the defence needs some work though, we shouldn't be conceding 3 goals at home to Crewe.

View attachment 177677
This was a really close game decided by more defensive mistakes, giving Walsall 2 late penalties to take all the points, I knew Walsall were an attacking team so I set up attacking ourselves to try and counteract their threat and it worked until the last 10 minutes.

View attachment 177676
We made a very good account of ourselves here even though we went down in defeat, we took the lead into the HT break, but the Premier league team scored just after the break to take into extra time, as our legs went their class was made evident and they overcame us before the lottery of a shootout.

View attachment 177673
We were really poor here and couldn't really get anything going against a Southend team at the bottom of the pile, We need to be making our class show, the attack looks deadly but the defence is appalling currently.

View attachment 177672
View attachment 177671
Our defence has really cost us this month and I'll need to address it quickly otherwise we will lose touch with the promotion contenders.

View attachment 177668
We didn't do much business in the window with our limited resources, Tudgay left as he was one of our highest earners and I really had no plans for him.

We brought in some good loans in Jones, Pennington and Sinclair that I am hoping can put pressure on my current players.

Coulson will go into the U21's as he looks a very good prospect for a couple of years time.

View attachment 177593

September

View attachment 177591
I rotated quite a few players here and I expected a tough match, 3 goals in 5 minutes decided the game in Portsmouth's favour, Id have liked to progress but I cant say I'm overly bothered to be out either.

View attachment 177587
I was quite happy to come away with a draw, Burton are on a good run of form and they played well throughout, a great finish from Armstrong mid way through the second half earnt us a point though.

View attachment 177584
This was an absolutely disgraceful performance, every player on the pitch was awful and the only positive is we only conceded 5, this result made us slip into the relegation zone, unless we stop conceding goals we will stay there aswel.

View attachment 177579
I looked back at our previous games and realised we had conceded 40% of our goals from crosses from our left, I made a slight tactical change and dropped Hunt back to play LM to give the LB some more defensive cover. We came out with a clean sheet which was our first in the league this season. Armstrong notched another goal and Cole scored a beauty from 30 yards.

View attachment 177574
Another Clean sheet, another win, more Armstong goals. I set up to counter a Bury side that are good in possession of the ball, we were dominated on the possession count, however an Armstrong hattrick gave us a comfortable win as the defence stayed resolute.

View attachment 177575
3 wins, 3 clean sheets to round off the month of September, Usual suspects scored again and we put in a very good performance to put an in-form Barnsley to the sword.

View attachment 177572
View attachment 177571
We managed to climb the table with those last 3 results, before them we were in 22nd place

Armstrong has gone to the top of the scoring charts with 10 in 10 in the league.

View attachment 177570

Certainly bittersweet those stats

View attachment 176892

October

View attachment 176891
Started off the month with Armstrong winning best young player, he also came second in best player award.

View attachment 176890
We continued our poor run of form into October losing to a pretty poor Shrewsbury side, they dominated us throughout, Tudgay came back to score against us however which I cant help but find annoying.

View attachment 176889
We played really well in this game, I started to see the team clicking together and maybe our tactics start taking some effect, we went out strong and got the job done in the first half hour.

View attachment 176888
Bore draw. Rochdale set up to defend from the off and even though we completely dominated them trough the entire game we couldn't break them down and create enough clear cut chances to win the game. However the performance was better than the result, Ill take some positives from that.

View attachment 176887
Armstong was rested for this game so Sinclair, on loan from Liverpool got a chance to start his first game, and he really took it with arms wide open, he opened the game with a very early goal and won it for us at the death, It wasn't the greatest defensive performance although we had enough about us to get through for the 3 points.

View attachment 176886
We drew York in the FA cup, Ill aim to play some of the fringe players however the money from a good cup run is much needed

View attachment 176885
I set up to hit a 5th placed Fleetwood on the counter in this game and it worked perfectly, the defence soaked up the pressure, winning the ball back and releasing it to our pacey forwards to do the damage.

View attachment 176884
This was a very closely fought game in which the draw was probably the fair result, Sinclair scored another goal off the bench, its a really a shame for him that Armstrong is in such good form or he would without doubt be getting a good run of games, nice to know we have someone hot on the heels of the leagues top scorer though.

View attachment 176883
View attachment 176882
So this month we managed to move from the relegation zone to the playoffs with 3 wins and a draw, hopefully we can kick on now and cement our place as promotion contenders

Armstrong dropped down to second in the scorers chart however he did sit out a few games as I didn't want to burn him out, Hunt also moved into 3rd in the assist charts after only making the LM spot his at the start of this month.

View attachment 1024240

November

View attachment 1024241
We started the month being dumped out of the cup by lower division York City, I played a few fringe players and they really didnt make the grade, I'm starting to think there may be quite a few changes in the summer

View attachment 1024242
Really played awfully in this match and didn't even make a fight of it, we were beaten by HT and even though we managed a couple of shots in the 2nd half we never looked like scoring, we probably did well to get out only conceding 3.

View attachment 176192
Another really poor showing in front of a home crowd, Armstrong having missed the last 2 games has been clearly obvious as we look like we don't have nearly as much goal threat without him. They scored an early goal and then sat back to go for the 1-0, we couldn't break them down and that's the way it finished.

View attachment 176189
We again were being dominated in this game and I thought it was going to be a heavy defeat, when they went down to 10 men on the half hour mark it completely changed the game, we did well to come from behind and win but in truth we could have had more goals.

View attachment 176187
Armstong returned from his short layoff to play and managed to get the winning goal, it was a very closely fought battle in which both teams very much canceled each other out in attack, luckily for us Armstrong's class managed to find the breakthrough and we put back to back wins together following our bad run.

View attachment 176186
View attachment 176185
We finish the month still in 6th position, unfortunetly I'm starting to think than the playoffs is going to be our aim this season, Millwall are romping away with the league and Oldham also will be able to pull away from the pack if they win their game in hand.

Murphy had a cracking month and managed to get himself into the assist charts as Armstrong lost some ground for the golden boot, although through INT Duty and injury he only played 1 of the last 5 games.

Does anyone have any interest in this story.... I'm enjoying writing it but without interest not much point?