Who can replace Scholes?

Who will replace Scholes?

• Total voters

Donnelly1

Reaction score
With Van der Sar retiring at the end of the season and Giggs almost certain to go on at least 1 more season what is the situation with Scholes?
Whenever Scholes does decide to retire Man United will need to replace him. But who will replace Scholes in the centre of United’s midfield?
Is there somebody already at the club waiting in the wings, or currently learning his trade for the reserve or youth team?
Or will United have to buy a replacement for the “Ginga Ninja”?

article-0-0114C13D00000578-286_306x423.jpg

Contenders at United:
Anderson
images

Has been playing well of late and seems to be finally starting to fulfil his early promise.

D.Gibson
images

An outsider to be honest. Has got a long shot like Scholes but he doesn’t seem to be Man united quality.

Magnus Eikrem
images

Currently one of the stand out players in the reserves. Solskjaer has said that he plays in a similar way to Scholes. (been sold to Molde but has a buy back clause should he develop)

Wayne Rooney

images

Many would see this as a weird choice but Scholes started as a striker, and a very good one at that. Ferguson said Scholes is one of the most natural finishers he has ever seen. Rooney can pick out amazing passes like Scholes. So maybe it’s not so crazy.

Last edited:
someone like hamsik or something would be a good replacement imo

i personally like gibson, decent passer, got a pretty decent shot aswell, not sure what it is but i think hes a good player

i personally like gibson, decent passer, got a pretty decent shot aswell, not sure what it is but i think hes a good player
i'm not convinced he is good enough.
imo he will stay and be a back up for his career or go to som mid to lower table club and start

I don't think any of the current players at MU can, Anderson and Gibson are 3000000000 miles away from Scholes' skill. And as for Eikrem, I've never seen him but if Solskjaer says he's good he must be. They need someone like VDV, someone not at the club and a world class player. Or maybe Rodwell, just someone not at the club at the moment.

I think Eikrem had joined Molde, not sure if I'm right though. I would prefer to have Hamsik, but Cleverley seems to be doing well for Wigan and I won't complain if Charlie Adam is brought in.

there isnt single player at the club who can replace scholes. There isnt a single player in the world who can replace scholes. You can only find someone who comes close to his style

Modric, Hamsik, Gourcuff would be the top three who could do it, in that order

Nuri Sahin is the ideal candidate.

He plays a little deeper than most AM's, has an amazing long pass on him, can shoot, and the boy has vision.

Insane.

Word is that Man Utd have agreed to sign Jordan Henderson in the summer, so I would think him. If I was Fergie, I'd go for someone like Sneijder (if I could afford him).

I think Eikrem had joined Molde, not sure if I'm right though. I would prefer to have Hamsik, but Cleverley seems to be doing well for Wigan and I won't complain if Charlie Adam is brought in.
i think eikrem and joshua king are going to molde on loan

No he hasn't joined Molde. Solskjaer said that if United don't offer him a new contract, he'll definitely offer him a place at Molde.

I want Marek Hamsik <3

Word is that Man Utd have agreed to sign Jordan Henderson in the summer, so I would think him. If I was Fergie, I'd go for someone like Sneijder (if I could afford him).
sneijder plays too far up the pitch, and henderson isnt anywhere near creative enough

ROONEY OR ANDO!! Rooney would do well there and has great engine, and can pick a pass!!! give chicha chance to flourish in front of him!!!

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

No he hasn't joined Molde. Solskjaer said that if United don't offer him a new contract, he'll definitely offer him a place at Molde.

I want Marek Hamsik <3

he has been sold to molde with a buy back clause.

Gourcuff <3, will cost alot now though considering Lyon payed 24m for him.

Gourcuff <3, will cost alot now though considering Lyon payed 24m for him.
Would have been a cheaper option last season before his move. Hamsik is the most realistic, and probably my favourite option. though SAF may go entirely left field with a replacement