Who Let The Dofs Out: A Director of Football Career

ILoveLamp

Reaction score
You may be aware I have a long term save on the go (now into the year 2100).

I have had a few other mini saves going on when I want a break from the SAF game but none really got me hooked, mainly due to them being too much effort to play and post updates.

So I have decided to do a much less time consuming save in the form of a Director of Football game.

I know on the full game you can assign the DOF to take over all sorts of roles and responsibilities leaving you the manager to focus on the matches. However I play FM Touch and am going to do a slightly different DOF game.

THE DOF ROLE (me)

Signs Players
Sells Players
Loans Out Players
Renews Contracts
Hires/Fires Staff

THE MANAGER ROLE (the assistant manager)

Handles training
Picks matchday squads
Takes charge of matches

So basically I am in charge during the transfer windows and the (assistant) manager is in charge for the rest of the time.
(I will holiday each month outside of the transfer windows so should be quick seasons)

I loaded England, Spain and Italy and started unemployed leaving my first job up to chance by holidaying until someone offered me a job.

I didn't have to wait long..

View attachment 36304

View attachment 36302

Expectations are not high so we can start with little pressure. Unfortunately we've little under £6m to play with in our first transfer window as DOF

View attachment 36303

Rather than appoint my first (assistant) manager I like the look of the man already in the job, Francesco Conti. He will be given time to see if he can be successful in his unique role at Samp.

View attachment 36305

I'll use the manager's team report to identify priority areas for new signings

View attachment 36288

We needs centre backs, a right wing back and maybe some strikers.

With around £6m to spend (depending on wages) we will struggle to strengthen all the areas needed

The previous DOF has some transfers already lined up for next season. Dodo and Zapata are the incomings but are already at the club on loan.

View attachment 36272

Given the limited budget our options for the centre back role were limited to say the least.

We eventually splashed out £3.6m on Levante centre back Chema..

View attachment 36273

That left the bank virtually empty so we targeted the loan market and got Mason Holgate from Everton...

View attachment 36271

and Joao Carvalho to add some back up to the attackers

View attachment 36270

View attachment 36158

The first transfer window closes and one of the leagues star players Dries Mertens leaves for Chelsea

View attachment 36157

We failed to make any more signings during the window but more importantly we didn't lose anyone either with the likes of PSG and Man City taking a close look at Lucas Torreira and his £22.5m buyout clause. I expect harder interest in January.

View attachment 36156

January 2018 Window

OUTS

View attachment 36111

View attachment 36110

View attachment 36108

All three lads were unhappy about a lack of playing time. Alvarez and Ramirez didn't fit into the system. Praet made some sub appearances but no point keeping an unhappy player and we get some money in the bank too,

INS

Tomi Juric
£675,000

We are light up top and Juric adds some depth for little money

View attachment 36109

Ivan
£1.4m

Only had £2.6m to spend so a very limited market and Ivan was the best of what was available and interested in joining Sampdoria

View attachment 36107

Patrick Cutrone
Loan

Signed towards the end of the window we get AC Milan hot prospect Cutrone to add some quality at the top end of the pitch

View attachment 36106

Despite securing an unlikely Champions League spot for Sampdoria the board only give me a transfer budget of £1.71m for the forthcoming season.

Needless to say I'm not overly happy and rumours of my displeasure alert some bigger clubs..

View attachment 36091

I would happy take the Napoli DOF job if offered.

However Napoli were gazumped by one of the richest clubs in the world!

View attachment 36090

View attachment 36089

From a transfer kitty of £1.7m to one over £200m.

SPEND SPEND SPEND

Pep paid the price for a poor season last year but importantly for me City at least secure a UCL spot

View attachment 36088

Last seasons transfer dealings.

View attachment 36087

Quite modest for Man City but I fully intend to spend every last penny given to me by the board

I was tempted to take Conti, my (assistant) manager from Sampdoria with me to Manchester but I opted for Roberto Moreno to be my man on the training field and pitch

View attachment 36075

Time to spend some of this £200m!

Antoine Griezmann
£89m

View attachment 36074

Raphael Varane
£72m

View attachment 36073

With signing on and agent fees that was most of our budget spent. Moreno says defence is still a bit short so to get anyone else in I had to clear the decks of some deadwood

View attachment 36072

View attachment 36071

Fernandinho and Sterling were the most notable casualties. Fernandinho is 33 now and no longer guaranteed to start games. Sterling doesn't fit into either mine of Moreno's preferred tactical setup so he goes too.

That allowed me to add to the centre of defence with a raid on Napoli

Kalidou Koulibaly
£36m

View attachment 36070

A few days later Joe Hart exits on loan again

View attachment 36069

Obviously upon taking the City job I expect a bit of a Galactico era with big signing after big signing.

However the Academy has just produced two gems who will feature in the first team before long
View attachment 36068

View attachment 36067

One more signing for the first team.

Geronimo Rulli
£12.5m

View attachment 36066

Yaya Toure retired and another club legend follows him out the door..

View attachment 36065

WINDOW CLOSED

View attachment 36064

We are the highest spenders in England signing 4 first team players and 11 hot prospects with some being loaned out to the feeder clubs

View attachment 36063

Depending on how we do at Man City I may add a second manager in charge of Girona in Spain and use City to help develop Girona into one of Europe's biggest clubs

Despite spending over £230m we were still outspent by PSG

View attachment 36062

View attachment 36061

Aug - Nov 2018

View attachment 36056

We started slow but found some form. However a recent wobble has set us back a bit.

View attachment 36055

STAR MAN

View attachment 36054

Aspas has done well filling in for the injured Kun Aguero. I turned down an £80m bid from Real Madrid in the transfer window for Aguero. Had I knew he would be struggling this badly with injuries I would have sold him to be honest.