Why aren't my players developing as well as they should (screenshots)?

Reaction score
View attachment 359260View attachment 359261View attachment 359262View attachment 359263
Hi,
I posted recently complaining that my players really don't seem to be developing as well as they do when under the computer's control, and wondered whether perhaps my rotation was hindering the team. Since then, I've been trying to play my first teamers more consistently, but still, my players don't seem to be developing as I would like. In particular, Jack Wilshere's stats have just taken another big hit (I believe that's two months in a row there have been 'concerns about his training').

The likes of Gotze, Wilshere, Isco etc all seem to fail to get to the level that they seem to on other games, and I just can't understand why.
For example, I've posted screenshots above of Jack Wilshere's current stats, in addition to his training regime, the level of coaching, and the general training set-up. At the moment, he's on a regime to improve his quickness, which might potentially explain why other stats have dropped a bit recently, but even then, even his quickness stats have dropped!

Compare this to the future screenshot of Jack Wilshere here:
FM 2013 player profile – Jack Wilshere

I appreciate my Wilshere is about a year younger, but I highly doubt stats like his passing, creativity, and flair are going to rise so dramatically in one year - particularly considering how little they've grown since I started the game.
Similarly, players like Isco and Gotze look well off future screenshots I see elsewhere, and I just can't see what I've done wrong. I haven't tinkered with training much. I only recently increased the intensity, but even still, I've always had 4 1/2 star - 5 star coaches, with top of the range training facilities.

There are 2 examples of how my players seem unable to reach the levels that they do under AI stewardship from my game.
First, Isco had always hovered around 18-19 on stats like passing and creativity. In the Summer, he went away on international duty with Spain, and suddenly said stats went up to 20! When he came back to me, his stats dropped back down!
Another example was Aaron Ramsey. I had him for years, he played consistently under 5 star coaches, and avoided any sort of major injury. The most his passing and creativity ever reached with me was 19. I sold him to Liverpool, and about 2 months later, I checked his stats: once again, both these stats went up to 20 and have since showed no signs of regressing.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going wrong? As I say, I've provided a few screenshots to give insight into playing time, training set-up, and coaching quality.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, because the frustration is really reducing my enjoyment of the game :/

Your training is high balanced so you will get a broader rise in attributes, you also have quickness training set, which uses up more ability points than other attributes. From looking at the screenshot, I would say he has hit his peak.

Also, your match prep training is very high, not sure why you need it so high.

Thanks for the response! Didn't realise my match prep training was so high - I honestly don't think I ever tinkered with it.

Do you reckon that might have hindered my players' attributes?

This amount of match training seems fine.

physical attributes generally use up more ability points than technical or mental.
the attributes that relate to quickness in wiltshire above are already quite high, the higher an attribute is it takes more ability points to increase it further also.
with your player being at his peak or near his peak some other attributes may need to drop to make up for an increase in the area you are trying to strengthen.

The age of a player also determines how quickly certain attributes can grow. i believe physical attributes begin to grow less once a player reaches around 22 years old. maybe wrong about this.

Thanks again for the responses.

Tbh, I haven't really focussed on quickness in training very much, and the current regime was simply one that my assistant recommended to me for Wilshere recently.

Having said that, my players' physical attributes do seem to be a little higher than average, which, as you say, might have taken away from their technical and mental development.

So you don't think I necessarily have to alter my training?

No not really your training seems to be working as intended. However I would recommend looking at the role you want players to fill in your team and use that as a guide for training over assistant recommended training. The example above might leave you with a player who is physically quick enough, however his technical attributes might end up lower than the expected world class player you are looking for.

Okay, thankyou. I'd pretty much always assumed the assistant would select the right choices, but I'll try and look at such decisions a little more closely from now on!

Okay, thankyou. I'd pretty much always assumed the assistant would select the right choices, but I'll try and look at such decisions a little more closely from now on!

When you go to a players training screen and pick an individual role focus, lets say for example it's "Box to Box Midfielder" the attributes that are trained by that focus will change colour on the attributes to the right hand side of the screen, so you will see that Box to Box Mid covers dribbling, finishing, off the ball, stamina, passing etc etc. You may have already know this, but it's a good way to see what role suits the chosen player. I always give my players low team training and heavy individual training, so that my players increase more in the roles that they are going to play. If you give them balanced team training and quickness, they will improve mostly in pace and acceleration and then the balanced training will mean all his other attributes will get the same training, which means your strikers for example will be getting the same amount of tackling and marking training as they will be getting in Finishing! Balanced is fine as long as you pair it with an individual role, otherwise you get average stats across the board rather than high stats in those attributes that you want the player to excel in, like other peoples screen shots show.

When i am training players i always just set their training to the tactical role i want them playing. I rarely set it to a specific attribute.

When they dont train well over the month have a talk with them and tell them that their training isnt good enough.

Turn your teams general training down from high, having it on high balanced will just take away more from a players specific development.

Avoid doing any work on physical attributes after a player is 21-22, it's usually slower and generally just ruins his overall development, if you do focus on something physical aim for 15/16 instead of 18+ to allow you to improve him in much more areas.

I've had the most luck training younger players to specific technical/mental attributes for 3-4 months then switch to another until they're 18/19. Then once they're 18/19 switch it over to a specific role training and start playing them more and more.

This still seems to be an area that needs to be improved. What is the point of the coach comments? as it seems that they are pointless and serve no purpose? All that is needed is they have as many stars as possible for training. Saying that though in reality most coaches this day and age do not spend 5 days a week on the training ground so it might be the way forward to set your *** man to control training?

It is a bit poor. My coach keeps insisting that I give my central midfielder crossing training, even though he plays central and never goes into positions to cross the ball. I think it's because he can also play right wing (but never does) and he has a low crossing attribute, so my coach recognises that he has a weak attribute which is important to his position, even though he never plays that position for me, and then lets me know, which in a way is good because if I had been playing him as a winger and had not noticed his low crossing then this would have brought it to my attention. You have to use a bit of common sense, but it could do with a bit of tweaking in the coding.