jameskc05

Reaction score
Doesn't look two far off the mark to me and your winning so why change?

However....

Retain Possession and Pass Into Space are conflicting orders. But the main thing that will be the reason for winning against City but not against average teams is you mentality. For average opponents, try switching to a Control mentality, this works very well with lower tempo possession based tactics

I'm going to turn your thread title around - ARE you losing possession? You seem to think you're losing possession, hence why can't I KEEP possession? So, are you losing it? If yes, how? It doesn't look to be passes as you're getting around 90% pass completion.

How to get to play possession football.

Hi James.

I've always played possession tactics on FM, and it can be really hard and seemingly illogical at times the way the engine operates.

I think the two biggest problems are the fact that you're passing into space and using mixed passing directness. You want to shut off pass into space and switch to short passing.

However, it is also likely that your player tactical roles and PPM's might be affecting how you use the ball. For example in my Napoli tactic, I want little dribbling, little shooting and little risky passing. PPM's have been trained in order to get players to stop doing killer balls and start doing short simple passes.

Have a watch / read if you like and see how I've set up to get 65% possession but also make sure we're creating 20+ chances per game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxfzD9COmSY

https://footballmanager2017dotblog....ssion-based-tactic-for-football-manager-2017/

J

Long shots and crosses. My guess is that your tactic isn't actually looking to hold onto the ball, it's just looking to slowly move it wide before trying to put in a cross; or work it back into midfield.

Without seeing your team play, we've no way of knowing mate. I just know that 11 long shots is too many considering a typical premier League club will average between 12 and 18 shots per game total. If you create poor qulity chances, you can't expect to keep possesion higher than you are.

Hi! for better possession I would suggest few things (I'm still playing with 2017):
- play narrow, remove exploit flank
- Use midfield players with support duty. Good role for possession are 2 CM/BBM maybe also Roaming Playmaker and 1 DLP/Roaming Paymaker in the centre. You could also put Dier same line of Silva and Pjanic as RM/DLP. You could add more riscky pass, press more.
- use right/left back (not wing back) automatic/support with go ahead whenever is possibile.
- Use IF as support (douglas costa too) and play narrow.

You shuold at 60-70% possession.