Why do some teams try and get into Europe?

Raffazza

Reaction score
Talking Uefa cup here, not champions league...

Was just wondering, whats the point? The teams that qualify try all year to get there, then qualify and send weak squads because will hurt premier league campaign due to massive number of games.

It can't be for the money, teams that don't go far in Europe dont make much money by all accounts.

Just wondering what, if anythign could be done to change this? (and is it worth changing?)

this should be in the football section mate not general disscion

i know its very wierd. its like i work really hard to get a big promotion then when offerd it i turn it down lol. i feel the europa league is very boring and should be turned into a non seeded knockout tournement the same goes for the champions league.

of course they make money, you get fees for playing matches (winning and drawing) tv revenue for your club, will increase chances of getting good sponsorhips, merchandising and gate receipts etc etc!!

of course you not going to make alot of money if you dont get far due to reasons above, but you do get paid to be in the league! <)

the fing that gets me is when teams rest players. now i know for sure if you are a player surely u want to play football and keep the rythm going and get a good piece of form going.

It seems to be an English thing. It's a terrible attitude to have

It seems to be an English thing. It's a terrible attitude to have

yer true. atleast the scottish teams play a strong starting 11 when they get knocked out in the 1st round lol. they can hold their heads high in defeat lol.

You get tv money, and more players are likely to join you for UEFA cup football

What I don't get is teams that spend all season trying to get in, get in. Then rest players focusing on league, yet realistically, europa league is the best they could hope for :O

yer but surely or is it just me the phlosophy ov football is well winning lol.

yer true. atleast the scottish teams play a strong starting 11 when they get knocked out in the 1st round lol. they can hold their heads high in defeat lol.

Exactly. Our Squads are smaller and weaker and they still give it a go.

yer but surely or is it just me the phlosophy ov football is well winning lol.

Exactly. I understand the pressure's of the premiership but most teams have a squad of 26-30 players so really there is no excuse

They should go all out in europe and let the world see the football they play. That way they could attract players on quality rather than motovate them with money.

Money obviously. I remember when Newcastle were in Europe (a while ago I know) we didn't usually do too well because we always played our 2nd team. However, if we did not get into Europe we would get slated. Pointless.

and don't forget the fans.

Watching Middlesbrough playing in Europe was absolutely fantastic. Not once did we put out a weak side (we actually ended up putting a weak side out in the league) and we produced some absolutely brilliant games (Steau and Basle inparticular).

So not only do they get some prize money, they also get the gate receipts (increased), match sponsorship, tv revenue, more fans so more revenue from merchandise and food & drink.

Being in Europe also helped us attract a better class of player (For Boro - Viduka, Hasselbaink, Rochemback, Zenden etc...).

Fantastic times.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJU_PNWREGE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJU_PNWREGE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>