Why does my MacBook get so hot while playing?

craiigman

Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand why my MacBook Pro gets so hot while playing FM and why the fans get so loud. I'll show my examples and maybe someone can clear it up for me?

My system specs are as follows:

15" Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro
2 GHz Intel Core i7 (Quad Core) - Turbo boost up to 3.2 GHz
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Intel Iris Pro Graphics Chipset (1024 MB)

FM runs smoothly on my MacBook, as it should with those specs. But it's still getting way to hot for my liking. It gets hot when advancing and during games. I play in 2D, so graphically it's not a strain on the machine.

So for advancing what is being used most in the RAM and the CPU. Now I have iStat Menu's installed so I can monitor what's going on. And neither are being used very much, so why the high temperature?

It does say that FM is using over 100% CPU, but it still says that the overall CPU is not even being used. Same goes for the RAM. Here's some screen shots:

CNM5OMy.png

0OmyYQU.png

LLmI21I.png

So the CPU got ridiculously hot and the fans were going quite loud indeed. Now I understand that if the CPU is being heavily used then the fans will kick in to cool them down. However here I have 84% idle yet it's still going crazy. Why is the CPU getting so hot when it's barely being touched? Yes I know FM was using over 100%, but over 100% of what? According to the stats I was only using 14% of my CPU.

I brought the MacBook pro so I could play FM not at a desk, but it's getting far too hot to use. I don't have that many leagues loaded or anything. I can't work it out, anyone know why it's doing it?

Last edited: