Why don't players cross it anymore?

JVUnited

Reaction score
I've started a few different saves on the new FM, but its become really frustrating as this happens with every team Ive started with. My wingers or full backs get into great crossing positions all the time, but 9 times out of 10 they either cut back towards the byline or pass it backwards to a fullback who just wants to have a shot.

Ive been trying the new instruction feature to get them to cross more often and take less shots, but its doesnt make any difference. Anyone else noticed this?

It took me two first friendly games before seaon to understand that this tactic doesn't work at its earlier stage...I'm going to penetrate through center...

Last edited:
Ive tried, but im playing at a pretty low level and my players arent that good technically, but im blessed with pace, I just need them to start crossing the ball more!

You can't force them to do something they are not capable...I never used wingers as a tactic with all previous FM...Check out your pitch tell me its width and length....

You can't force them to do something they are not capable...I never used wingers as a tactic with all previous FM...Check out your pitch tell me its width and length....

shut it mate or I'll hook you in the gabber

JV, try not working ball into box, and playing wider. My fullbacks crossed a few more times per match after that (though still not as much as I would like). Also, set wingers to Support instead of Attack for more crosses.

Unfortunately, there looks to be a problem with the ME with long shot accuracy, at least for me. So every time the fullback/winger cuts the ball back to the midfielder outside the box, I know he won't score (4 seasons in, Pogba has taken an average of 200 shots at goal per season, 0 goals from outside the box. His only goals are penalties and tapping in from corners).

Crossing has been bad since FM13, so I'm not surprised. FM only wants you to play tiki-taka with Barcelona, so if you manage Forfar and have a target-man up front, SI will send assassins to kill your dog.

My wingers and fullbacks provide an awful lot of my goals from crosses floated into the box. Never noticed it as an issue.

Thanks for the help guys, Ill try not working it into the box and see what happens, Ive already got it on play wider. Ye I find that the long shot success rates are terrible, but then you get the occasional player swho is insane at it. You'd expect Pogba to be good as hes awesome with longs shot in real life and hes got a 19 or something silly for it in the game. I remember on an older game, Steven N'Zonzi was at Blackburn, he would bang a long shot in every game against me, did my head in, and he only had a 10 or 11 stat on the game!

Thanks for the help guys, Ill try not working it into the box and see what happens, Ive already got it on play wider.
Update us if it works for you...remember that the more you use a tactic, they should be better in it...When you hover your mouse over a tactic, a drop down menu opens and tell you how good they are with different aspects of that tactic...

Crossing has been bad since FM13, so I'm not surprised. FM only wants you to play tiki-taka with Barcelona, so if you manage Forfar and have a target-man up front, SI will send assassins to kill your dog.

Lol I know man, its become a lot more like FIFA in that respect, they just want you to play a Spanish style of football. Then again, Ive noticed that a lot of English teams on the game are still usuing a standard 442, even though in real life that formation has become really outdated. On the game if Im against the 442, I just put 3 in midfield and its very easy to control the game.

Update us if it works for you...remember that the more you use a tactic, they should be better in it...When you hover your mouse over a tactic, a drop down menu opens and tell you how good they are with different aspects of that tactic...

Well the advice has worked to some extent. I switched my winger from Attack to support. Took work it into the box out and they are getting more crosses in, not as much as I'd like though, more often than not they still go for a cut-back or run aimless towards goal and try and beat the keeper at the near most.

But the crossing frequency has gone up, so thanks to everyone who helped.

Players do cross... but they won't when using instructions like retain possession and work ball into box

Well the advice has worked to some extent. I switched my winger from Attack to support. Took work it into the box out and they are getting more crosses in, not as much as I'd like though, more often than not they still go for a cut-back or run aimless towards goal and try and beat the keeper at the near most.

But the crossing frequency has gone up, so thanks to everyone who helped.
If you choose a tactic that suits your style of play ,but when looking at Tactic Familiarity Level you see a lot of awkwards you must look for other tactics to start with that have more competents in them...Rome was not built in a day and you shouldn't expect of a new tactic to work like a charm while it is full of awkward familiarities ...

Last edited:
Yeah thats true, but I analyse the players Ive got and try and use a tactic which suites them. Ive got a few quick wide players with good dribbling and crossing attributes, so I would expect them to adapt quicker to a tactic which suits how they play and what they are good at.