Why is it so hard to have a Tactic with wingers to work?

GoldenIron

Reaction score
It's getting ridiculous that the only successful/entertaining tactics are forced to be diamonds or narrow formations.

Last year it was tedious with full back crosses being the most common way to score now its diamonds to actually play properly.

If anyone can be kind enough to explain to me how can i create tactics with wingers with an enjoyable playstyle i would be grateful

It's getting ridiculous that the only successful/entertaining tactics are forced to be diamonds or narrow formations.

Last year it was tedious with full back crosses being the most common way to score now its diamonds to actually play properly.

If anyone can be kind enough to explain to me how can i create tactics with wingers with an enjoyable playstyle i would be grateful

I've not really had any issue with wingers, though i only ever use them at lower league levels since ruining down the wing and crossing is a tactic I don't think works at the highest level. Any Back 4 and Gk worth their **** can deal with a wide runner and cross. Roudementors (I can't spell) and Inside Forwards have been effective for me but I'm always making sure that the players I'm playing in those positions can actually be effective there and that the opposition don't close out those channels I''m looking to exploit.

To be honest mate, I'm not even sure where to start since you've provided no info at all on where you're going wrong tactically. i could just say "git gud" since that's the most constructive thing I can realistically say to you right now. Post a wingers tactic you've struggled with and the narrow diamond you've had success with so we can compare and see where you're going right and wrong.

We need to know about your team, what kind of formations/mentalities/tactical instructions you've tried or want to try, and what you want specifically as far as your style of play (what do you want your buildup to look like, what exactly do you want your wingers to be doing in your buildup/chance creation/goal scoring, etc.). Help us help you.

I've not really had any issue with wingers, though i only ever use them at lower league levels since ruining down the wing and crossing is a tactic I don't think works at the highest level. Any Back 4 and Gk worth their **** can deal with a wide runner and cross. Roudementors (I can't spell) and Inside Forwards have been effective for me but I'm always making sure that the players I'm playing in those positions can actually be effective there and that the opposition don't close out those channels I''m looking to exploit.

To be honest mate, I'm not even sure where to start since you've provided no info at all on where you're going wrong tactically. i could just say "git gud" since that's the most constructive thing I can realistically say to you right now. Post a wingers tactic you've struggled with and the narrow diamond you've had success with so we can compare and see where you're going right and wrong.

Sorry mate, was in a bit of rage.
Ive been trying to emulate peps man city with the whole keep position and free roam as well as the high pressure

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet , i just can get it to work, I have sterling to create space for walker with a bbm to support him. On the other side I want sane to use his space to get into the box, Yaya to stay back and control the midfield. Two ball playing cb with one stopper and the other for cover and full backs on support to move forward and back.

We need to know about your team, what kind of formations/mentalities/tactical instructions you've tried or want to try, and what you want specifically as far as your style of play (what do you want your buildup to look like, what exactly do you want your wingers to be doing in your buildup/chance creation/goal scoring, etc.). Help us help you.

Yeah mate, bit premature rage that I had. i posted what i wanted in the comment above (or below)) you

I'm not familiar with the players and their preferences or moves so I'm just going to give you a few of my thoughts based on what I see in your screenshots on what I think could help a more entertaining style.

You have a large number of instructions and some of them might disrupt the synergy on the wings. You can try to reset the instructions and slowly bring them back to notice if they are doing what you want. You've got dribble less, play from defence, retain possession, work ball into box, shorter passing and look for overlap, neither of which I think is very encouraging for your wingers to be anything more than wide playmakers who look to pass and hang around in the middle or for your other player to put them on a run. You can try to allow them to run with the ball or try to get forward, right now you tell them to wait in the middle and be expressive with short passes.

Also I would experiment with the roles. With look for overlap you expect wingbacks to bomb forward while the wide players patiently wait, but fullbacks will move forward somewhat slowly and cautiously while your wingers get bored. Out of four wide players only one is on an attack duty and the midfiled is crowded.

You also have a roaming playmaker and a box to box midfielder on the sides who I imagine crowd the space where you want your wingers to do things and get targeted with passes instead of the wingers. With your formation I would try to put the runner in the middle and the lateral midfielders be holders to encourage more wide play.

I'm not sure how two ball playing defenders work together as I mostly use one if ever, but with your instructions I think they don't contribute the occasional long ball to the side that could help unleash a winger.