Why is Mertesacker so good in this game

mnk26

Reaction score
I am currently in my 4th season with Arsenal and Per Mertesacker has just been incredibly dominant for all 4 seasons. I know he is a pretty solid defender in real life, but he is so consistently good in the game, I was wondering if any one else has had him be this amazing for this long. His average rating keeps improving each year, this year he is leading the league with an average of 8.17......He has made the World Team of the Year Starting XI 3 out of the 4 seasons I've played so far.

I play him as Central Defender - Defend and do not adjust any sliders. I have a picture of my tactics as well, not sure if that has much to do with it. Note that my coach still rates him as 3 stars even though he is apparently one of the best defenders in the world.

He seriously almost never has a bad game. I'm almost thinking my game is bugged because of how good he always plays. Some screenshots:

View attachment 352627View attachment 352628View attachment 352630

And here is the tactics I use if anyone is interested, not sure how much of a difference it makes:

View attachment 352629

When I mentioned I sold him on this forum everybody said I was crazy, it's not just you he performs well for everybody

Same for me, he was world-class. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in his mental attributes (Much like in real life!)

Same for me, he was world-class. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in his mental attributes (Much like in real life!)

Don't you think they are maybe over rating him a tiny bit? I know he is a good player in real life, but he doesn't always make the German 1st team and has definitely never been considered one of the top 5 defenders in the world. It almost feels like cheating, he is so incredible in the game

Don't you think they are maybe over rating him a tiny bit? I know he is a good player in real life, but he doesn't always make the German 1st team and has definitely never been considered one of the top 5 defenders in the world. It almost feels like cheating, he is so incredible in the game

I agree he is massively over-rated on FM, I was just saying that on FM he lacks pace and has great mental skills, same as in real-life, but not as good.

You're also playing quite a deep defensive line which i guess helps with his lack of pace.

Wouldn't say he's overrated in the game or even that great, still easily exploitable due to his low pace/agil/accel. His great mental stats are arguably the only good thing about him and that's due to his age more than anything.

Probably the best CB you can have in this game for the first 3-5 seasons for this FM. He is good. :) If you do your set peice setup well... He is not just good in defending... He is a goal scoring machine :eek:

I believe the high mental attributes he have are the most important for the CB position.That's the reason in my opinion.

Aslong as he doesn't have to move he is one of the best in Europe, suppose it's his great mental stats with added technique.

Because the ratings system is favourable towards defenders, look at the end of the season, the amount of CBs in the top ten highest average rating, especially tall defenders who win headers.