Why is morale/momentum such a big factor in this game?

Samcoollol

Reaction score
Like, on my Liverpool save, I went on a 9 match winning run, where I beat the likes of Man Utd at home, Arsenal at home, Tottenham away, Newcastle away, Stuttgart away (Europa League). Then I don't win one match (at home to Norwich 0-0) and suddenly I then lose my next 2 matches (Sunderland at home and QPR away) and i'm now on a 3 match unbeaten run. How can I go from winning 9 matches in a row, to not winning 3 in a row?

It's like you get on a couple match winning run and you're the best team in the League, and you then lose 1 match, and suddenly you're like the worst team in the League. So unrealistic and ****. I admit morale/momentum can have a slight effect on real life football, but not to the scale it does on FM.

I don't care how to get out of these not winning runs. That's not what the question is for. I just want a decent explanation from somebody here as to why morale/momentum is so overpowered, stupid, and unrealistic on this game.

Like, on my Liverpool save, I went on a 9 match winning run, where I beat the likes of Man Utd at home, Arsenal at home, Tottenham away, Newcastle away, Stuttgart away (Europa League). Then I don't win one match (at home to Norwich 0-0) and suddenly I then lose my next 2 matches (Sunderland at home and QPR away) and i'm now on a 3 match unbeaten run. How can I go from winning 9 matches in a row, to not winning 3 in a row?

It's like you get on a couple match winning run and you're the best team in the League, and you then lose 1 match, and suddenly you're like the worst team in the League. So unrealistic and ****. I admit morale/momentum can have a slight effect on real life football, but not to the scale it does on FM.

I don't care how to get out of these not winning runs. That's not what the question is for. I just want a decent explanation from somebody here as to why morale/momentum is so overpowered, stupid, and unrealistic on this game.
That's not entirely true, you just to look at Norwich & Southampton how they climb up the leagues with two promotions back to back to reach the Premier League. And not forgetting Bradford's cup run in the Capital One League Cup in real life football. So morale/momentum can be a big factor in real life football.

That's not entirely true, you just to look at Norwich & Southampton how they climb up the leagues with two promotions back to back to reach the Premier League. And not forgetting Bradford's cup run in the Capital One League Cup in real life football. So morale/momentum can be a big factor in real life football.
Yeah but to go on a NINE match winning run, against the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Stuttgart, etc, and then play Norwich, Sunderland, and QPR and not win one is stupid. I wouldn't mind if it was a one off but nearly every save I do I will go on like 6 matches winning runs, and then suddely go on a 6 match not winning run. Stupid.

And actually it was an 8 match run but whatever same **** applies

Yeah but to go on a NINE match winning run, against the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Stuttgart, etc, and then play Norwich, Sunderland, and QPR and not win one is stupid. I wouldn't mind if it was a one off but nearly every save I do I will go on like 6 matches winning runs, and then suddely go on a 6 match not winning run. Stupid.
I might be wrong in saying this, but I believe need freshen up your pre-match team talks to motive players to play weaker opposition. Different opposition need different team talks.

Last edited:
LOL this is realistic. In real life we see how form affects teams all the time

recently Reading had a great run causing upsets.
Morale has been affecting Chelsea for the last season.
Barcelona's morale is down due to the temporary loss of their manager so they are on a loosing run

I agree with the OP. SI has done a good job recognising the importance of morale in the squad but i think they went a bit overboard. Maybe if the tweaked it slightly so it wasnt so black and white it would be fine.

Maintaining consistency through man management is important. The real issue here is that you are actually unable to a) keep it up and b) pull your team out of a slump.

How can you go from winning nine in a row to losing 3 in a row? Very easily, for all sorts of reasons, like real football. What you actually need to do is brush up on your man management skills, and focus how your team reacts to a loss, how your team reacts to winning and losing streaks and adjust accordingly. Without knowing the make up of your side, you will only get very general advice.

Morale is actually of a lower importance than in previous years, but if you don't keep up your man management you will get swings and streaks.

Last edited:
players can get too confident, opposing teams use formation and tactics that nullify yours etc.